Only in America...

2,549 posts in this topic

You, Sir, are an idiot!

Excellent find... Kudos. After a few googling I found this Wiki entry that explains the Naming convention. This says

singular America commonly refers in English to the United States of America

Be arrogant, live arrogant and be ignorant. Cheers!

Just to clarify, read this article for a nice summary of why we're not going to stop calling ourselves Americans.

tl;dr version:

So let me say on behalf of all Americans to anti-“Americans” everywhere: We’re not going to stop using “America.” We should not stop. Get over it.

Edit: So you are an American and not citizen of USA

Warning we are now dangerously close to the whole Citizens vs. Nationals debate...

Surprised this thread has not Goodwin'ed yet...

Just to clarify, read this article for a nice summary of why we're not going to stop calling ourselves Americans.

tl;dr version:

Not to mention, the very 1st reference here is America usually refers to: (1') The United States of America, a country in North America' Then (2) 'The Americas, a landmass comprising North and South America.'

The entire continent is not a country. A Brazilian is Brazilian, a Columbian is Columbian, a Canadian is Canadian, etc...and an American is American, as in USA.

Peace!

Not to mention, the very 1st reference here is America usually refers to: (1') The United States of America, a country in North America' Then (2) 'The Americas, a landmass comprising North and South America.'

The entire continent is not a country. A Brazilian is Brazilian, a Columbian is Columbian, a Canadian is Canadian, etc...and an American is American, as in USA.

Peace!

The problem for non USA citizens coming from Americas (continent) is the word Usually in that line your referred. That doesnt go well with them. As far as you calling yourself as American or Citizen of US or whatever, it doesnt really bother me. Its an Americas problem :)

The problem for non USA citizens coming from Americas (continent) is the word Usually in that line your referred. That doesnt go well with them. As far as you calling yourself as American or Citizen of US or whatever, it doesnt really bother me. Its an Americas problem

One refers to their Nationality, not what landmass (continent) they happen to be from. Usually, as in correct. It says 'America', with no 's' at the end. Can you read? Use common sense. What's next...we start saying Earthling? It's not an American 'problem'...it's an American fact!

Enthrian, your profile says you're an Indian. Navajo or Sioux?

Well yours doesnt say American. It says US. Also Wiki doenst say Usually for a search on India or Indian. Not going to join this debate anymore as I think its going slightly off topic.

Never mind him, CincyInDE...stupid is as stupid does. He just doesn't get the fact that ones nationality is not the continent they come from, but the country.

BTW, Enthiran, you ran this off topic. This is a humorous thread, not a debate over the painfully obvious. Country is not continent.

In America, even the kids menu is bigger than an adult portion anywhere in Europe.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

In the USA there is no shame in asking for a 'doggy bag' to take the leftover enormous portion home. I never felt I could do that in Germany, and often the portions there were even bigger. Plenty of portly folks where I lived. :)

Peace!

pity the Germans, calling themselves Europeans. Dammit Jim, they should be nationalist not continentalists. Like the Americans.

I get doggy bags all the time here and have done so since years. Have never had anyone blink an eye or act weird about it all.

Lets talk about what is great about America to get this off on another track.

We have:

- great comedians and the whole entertainment system, music, films, plays

- fabulous BBQ

- the best corn on the cob

- real ice tea

- magnificent natural parks

- easy fishing and camping, real camping in a tent, with real campfires

- any kind of scenery you could wish for

- community spirit in times of disaster

- volunteerism

That is just off the top of my head, so hope some of you add to it.

After spending 2 weeks in Cal. in Nov. do you know how wonderful it was to not need to ever watch where I was walking? No dog poop on the sidewalks! Also hardly any smokers. No gangs of people standing at the entrance to every store or office, making the rest of us walk through a gauntlet of smoke to go inside. No people flicking their ashes off as they walk down the street never thinking about the person walking behind them. It just felt like people were considerate of others besides themselves.

Yeah, let's keep it humorous.

When I was at a wedding in New Orleans, a guy asks me where I'm from (his accent was very Southern and I could barely understand the question) and I answered him "From the Netherlands". His reply "How far is that by car?".

Then, we took a trip through the swamps in Louisiana with an air boat. I thought "Cool" until we met a Cajun on the shore. He told the captain "You are trespassing and I know the judge." I actually thought about some movies where people disappear in these swamps. "Get me out of here."

PS- I do like Cajun cuisine.

pity the Germans, calling themselves Europeans. Dammit Jim, they should be nationalist not continentalists. Like the Americans.

Would you think that when they call themselves Europeans they refer to the continent including... Turkey and part of the balkans or the European Union?

I would venture they are refering to the European Union, in this case the analogy should be why are the American not calling themselves Californian (or others) but americans.

Again, not much to do with the continent.

Bullshit.

It's not bullshit. 1 out of every 4 gay men in the US has HIV. This is according to the Center for Disease Control. Maybe it's different in Canada.

It's not bullshit. 1 out of every 4 gay men in the US has HIV. This is according to the Center for Disease Control. Maybe it's different in Canada.

It's not bullshit, it's a lie. You think that we all are so dumb that will not check the facts:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/statistics.html