Only in America...

2,320 posts in this topic

I may be wrong, but I think RedWingsRule meant this thread to be humorous and to encourage other thoughts.

- of course hot coffee has always been hot, but not 180 degrees hot, which was actually the problem!

Technically, coffee must be brewed between 197 and 205 degrees depending on sort and recipe. The law does not set the maximum temperature for hot beverages. The lawsuit didn't make MD reduce the temperature (some sources say they went down from 180 to 170 which doesn't sound like a lot to me). Starbucks serves between 175 and 185 degrees.

I suppose your suggestion is to brew at higher temperatures as prescribed by the technology, then let it cool down before serving. Apparently, quite a few people would object to that.

Actually, brewing a good cup of coffee requires water to be heated up to just below boiling temperature (about 205F/96C), otherwise the aromatic oils won't get extracted from the ground beans.

Ditto.

Things I miss about NorCal:

Farm to table mentality (local food movement). I love the food conscious culture and miss it.

in general the customer service (which is amplified by the lack of it here).

Delicious Napa cabs and the general wine scene and appreciation for wine in that region.

The above sums up why I love where I'm from.

However,

The raw milk cheese (if under 60 days old) ban.... I will never understand. Also, pregnant woman's obsession with not eating raw milk cheeses. I guess i get it. Kinda. Maybe not.

Not to mention the obsession with vegan (unless you have legitimate reasons to be vegan), gluten free (unless you're allergic) and so on... all of which, in my opinion, are control issues coupled with weird food fad obsessions. Strange.

1. can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Nah, the pizza takes at least 30 minutes.

3. do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

The largest pharmacy drugstore in the US is no longer selling cigarettes. Laws in some states and municipalities prevent the sale of cigarettes in stores with pharmacies (San Francisco was the 1st; Boston and others followed. )

10. do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

From a manufacturing stand point, it's easier to make just one keyboard that can be used in all machines.

In the humorous spirit...

Only in the US can you go to a grocery store and get your eyes examined, your tires rotated and your battery replaced, complete your banking, order a birthday cake, and buy a diamond ring. Oh yes, buy food and stop by a pharmacy. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

They aren't "pharmacies" they are "drugstores" which sell everything under the sun that happen to also have actual pharmacies, usually located in the back. Oh wait, I see you more or less pointed that out towards the end. Don't forget the blood pressure machines! And in California you can buy liquor at the drugstore.

One of my favorite videos:

It amused me the first time I ( with my Brit English ) went to the States in the early 70´s, Amanda! I thought to myself: where can I get a joint? I saw the word " drugstore " on the street! I learned my lesson quickly!

only in america can people take what was supposed to be a humorous foray into the foibles of one's culture and use it as an opportunity to "school" the ignorant about how absolutely not funny their humor is.

In the humorous spirit...

Only in the US can you go to a grocery store and get your eyes examined, your tires rotated and your battery replaced, complete your banking, order a birthday cake, and buy a diamond ring. Oh yes, buy food and stop by a pharmacy. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

You're definitely right and I'd like to add to your list while you're there you can also get a flu shot, if you're ill see a medical provider, get your digital camera photos printed, buy flowers or arrange to have flowers delivered and some you can even put gas in your car. :lol:

Found the below links while I was searching for salsify recipes this afternoon so I thought I'd post them here.

5 Maps and Charts that Explain America and this one Where the Most Popular Languages other than English and Spanish are Spoken. Check out on the second link where in the U.S. German is spoken.

According to that link there's 21 counties where at least 10 percent of the people speak German.

My sister lives in New Ulm and they have a huge statue if Hermann and everything is like "Das Pizza Haus" and "Das Hardware Haus" and scheisse.

I gotta say, I have a hard time taking any information seriously that comes from a site that has a map that tracks "no promo homo" laws.

I thought it would be harder for people to actually take it seriously with the article showing the map tracking the closest pizza shops. :lol:

Currently, LGBT rights are a popular topic with much debate.

With your comment I did go back and read more about promo homo and it said the reason why they included the map about the promo homo states was because of their recent articles States Have Policies Similar to Russia's Ban on Gay "Propaganda" and their OP Ed piece The U.S. Hypocrisy over Russia's anti-gay laws.

sure...and the one that claims 47 states claim to be conservative. yup, it must be true. there is a map about it and everything

Since I'm over my post limits I'll respond here on this post:

Yes, perhaps the title of the Washington Post maps article should have the exact same title of this thread. :D

sure...and the one that claims 47 states claim to be conservative. yup, it must be true. there is a map about it and everything

Things I miss about NorCal:

Farm to table mentality (local food movement). I love the food conscious culture and miss it.

in general the customer service (which is amplified by the lack of it here).

Delicious Napa cabs and the general wine scene and appreciation for wine in that region.

The above sums up why I love where I'm from.

However,

The raw milk cheese (if under 60 days old) ban.... I will never understand. Also, pregnant woman's obsession with not eating raw milk cheeses. I guess i get it. Kinda. Maybe not.

Not to mention the obsession with vegan (unless you have legitimate reasons to be vegan), gluten free (unless you're allergic) and so on... all of which, in my opinion, are control issues coupled with weird food fad obsessions. Strange.

Great post, except your stupidity about gluten free. Google Celiac Sprue. It's a real disease, you ninny. :P Both my parents have/ had it.

All of the outlandishness in this thread does not apply to San Francisco. We are like a dream island/ utopia at the edge of a very large hell. B)

Hah. My partner was shocked to hear that if you've been convicted of a felony, you no longer have the right to vote in the US (I'm not sure if this applies in all states and the federal government, or if some states have changed this - Eric Holder is working on changing it). AND, you can't give blood in most places if you are gay (or, ahem, you've had anal sex). And they say the Taliban are backward...

AND, you can't give blood in most places if you are gay (or, ahem, you've had anal sex).

Same in the UK, except that it's no longer a permanent ban but rather a 12-month fixed period deferral from the latest homosexual contact.

But can't you be gay without practicing anal sex? I think I once stumbled across a website "homosexual doctors against anal sex" or something to that effect. Still this kind of fabulous self-mastery won't help them in the UK because oral sex is on the list as well.

And they say the Taliban are backward...

I'll second on that. I'm sure that Taliban is in fact very progressive as it strongly believes in gay men donating blood... preferably all of it.

I think I would add to the list that "only in America is the biggest news story in the world this morning, the Oscars". you gotta dig down pretty deep to find any coverage of the situation in the Ukraine from US news sources.