Only in America...

2,497 posts in this topic

- of course hot coffee has always been hot, but not 180 degrees hot, which was actually the problem!

Actually, brewing a good cup of coffee requires water to be heated up to just below boiling temperature (about 205F/96C), otherwise the aromatic oils won't get extracted from the ground beans.

Which brings about the next question and I'll include canada in this too. Do North Americans actually know what a "good" cup of coffee is or do they just want to drink something that's warm? Because it sure is difficult to get a good cup anywhere unless your in an Italian area.

C'mon, the cruise control story was an Urban Legend from wayback: cruiser

The hot coffee story is true, but the old lady didn't get millions, she got $160,000. McD's was fined $2.5M, which was later reduced to $480,000.

If you wanna see some REAL Americans, visit: People of Walmart

anybody that pays for MacDonalds coffee has been burned already, before they spill it.... :lol:

I once met a guy in Sweden who had been engaged to a girl originally from Oklahoma. He spent some time with her family over there and told me he got yelled at for wanting to walk to the Walmart < 1KM away and they insisted he drive. He found it ludicrous, but I told him it was probably because there were no sidewalks in between the house and the store. God forbid someone *walk* somewhere, especially when there's plenty of parking available. Only in America.

Hey, the same happened to me!! We were staying in an hotel and we went to a Walmart. When we asked for directions, people would ask if our car broke down. Also a police officer stopped and asked what we were doing. Quickly we understood the best answer was "we are from Europe".

Then something strange happened. When people heard that we were from Europe, they started telling stories of how they smoke pot in their youth!

Is that normal?? Are Europeans seen as pot smokers??

Kinder Surprise eggs are illegal because apparently people are too stupid not to eat the toy.

If the 'people' the authorities had in mind are younger children, I'd say making these eggs illegal is pretty wise.

I'm amazed that more kids don't choke to death after accidentally ingesting one of the toy capsule halves (even if there is a tiny hole in the end).

I am surprised nobody has posted the pic of the escalator to the gym yet. you guys are off your game.

Which reminds me, there were always some brutal battles for the closest parking spaces at the gym I used to go to.

Don't forget that only in America will they have you file a tax return and tax you if they feel you haven't paid enough. They also want you to tell them about every bank account you have so they can steal your money. They treat all expats as criminals and all criminals much better.

If the 'people' the authorities had in mind are younger children, I'd say making these eggs illegal is pretty wise.

I'm amazed that more kids don't choke to death after accidentally ingesting one of the toy capsule halves (even if there is a tiny hole in the end).

AFAIK, only 2 kids died in the entire world and they swallowed the toys days after eating the egg. So it was not related to the food/toy being together.

" 10. do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering. "

So.. it shouldn't be possible to drive a blind person to somewhere where he or she could withdraw money?

you drive them to a walk up ATM then, though I guess you could just let the blind person lean across your lap so they can reach the ATM through your window.

Only in America could I meet a redneck neighbor and violence prone gun collector cheering for Obama... because his son was coming home from Iraq :).

...where most teachers and many professors are paid less per year than it costs to house a prisoner.

Only in America could I meet a redneck neighbor and violence prone gun collector cheering for Obama...

Only in America could the same redneck neighbor legally shoot Obama**, if he happens to be wearing a hoodie or playing rap music.

**Oooh the NSA is so going to see this post...

That's not bizarre or quirky in the US, it's our sad reality...

Obama himself - known for staying out of things - said it could have easily happened to his son if he had one...

you drive them to a walk up ATM then, though I guess you could just let the blind person lean across your lap so they can reach the ATM through your window.

All, or at least most, ATM's have Braille lettering, as required by ADA regulations. They're not going to make special "non-Braille" machines just for drive-ups.

that's the whole point of the thread Nina, the American mentality... it's a ice skating rink, you go there to go skating. WTF do you need a handicapped parking place for? sometimes the obvious escapes them.

Sometimes the obvious escapes you? Let me help you with this.

The handicap parking spaces are there because according to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and other add-on laws to this act in 2010 the law mandates accessible handicap parking spaces as a civil right.

RWR, just in case it's still not obvious to you or if you have trouble comprehending the links, let me break it down for you further. By U.S. public law any public business with a certain number of parking spaces must have a certain number of handicap accessible parking spaces available depending on how many overall parking spaces they have. See the chart below. This law is enforced by the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.

Someone else mentioned something about grandmothers being able to watch their grandchildren ice skate. Although it's a good example, the reality is it's not just the elderly who may have a handicapping condition. It could even be younger visitors and or employees who may need the handicap parking spaces. Even if no one needs the spaces, they have them there to be in compliance with the law.

RWR, it says you're American on your profile, what you've written in the above quote shows us your American mentality.

post-14005-1393765205438.jpg

...I told him it was probably because there were no sidewalks in between the house and the store. God forbid someone *walk* somewhere, especially when there's plenty of parking available. Only in America.

Whilst planning my business trip to California (Si Valley) last year I booked a hotel quite close to the office (certainly within walking distance) & had the idea to take the shuttle from SFO to hotel & walk each day into office. My manager said to get a car for just the reason above - no sidewalks or possibility to cross the 8-lane highway inbetween.

It probably took longer each day to drive that it would have to have walked.