Only in America...

2,998 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I mean like does the US constitution allow for referendums

I think state by state, yes.  I don't know if that would be possible nationwide.  Each state has its own gun laws, but they range from appalling (stupidly short waiting periods) to frankly murderous (states without mandatory background checks, states where you can carry a concealed weapon into a bar or a school).  

13 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Über-rich people are quoted all the time talking about their utter disdain for the poor.  

Über-rich people are more often quoted talking insincerely about their deep concern for the poor.   

On the other hand, people are people. You have a clapped out car which is less clapped out than somebody else‘s and Futterneid comes along.

8 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I think state by state, yes.  I don't know if that would be possible nationwide.  Each state has its own gun laws, but they range from appalling (stupidly short waiting periods) to frankly murderous (states without mandatory background checks, states where you can carry a concealed weapon into a bar or a school).  

Thankyou 

for helping me understand better the US system, it seems much like the EU, where Germany and the UK ( pre Brexit ) have very different gun control laws

16 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Going even once sounds like pure hell to me, and I'd only do that if it were a.) free and I was the only one allowed in the park b.) to take the kids of someone who'd died in a fire c) to take a kid whose last wish it was or d.) because they were handing out free waffles, diamonds and Cadillacs to everybody who bought a day ticket but didn't actually ride any of the rides.

My sentiments entirely... until I finally capitulated and went to Europark with my kid... and actually enjoyed it! I would have gone back but she didn't want to :lol:

What caused me more pain was seeing the result of pricing policies which segregate the well-dressed, well-groomed, slim, fit and healthy good-looking cream from the rest of society, which was conspicuous by its absence.

Oh sorry, wrong continent.

17 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

The gun thing doesn't get done not because it's not possible but because someone doesn't want it to get done.  But I still can't figure out what the theory part of my conspiracy theory is.  🤔

Maybe it`s the "throw the dog a bone" idea in that it keeps them quiet while they take away other things if you know what I mean.

It seems to me with many Americans you can take away their money,healthcare etc without much reaction from them.But try taking away their "God given right to carry a gun" then you have problems.

@Keleth I was thinking something along those lines.  Keep the news full of stranger danger and you get the idea that the boogeyman lives on your block (or better, in a neighborhood where people don't look like you) and distracts you from paying attention to the man behind the green curtain.

21 hours ago, yesterday said:

I mean like does the US constitution allow for referendums

No, absolutely not.  There is no such thing as a national referendum.  And anything not in the constitution is decided on by the individual states, which may or may not have provisions for a referendum

Let's pretend for a moment the GQP would be down with gun control.  It would almost have to be instituted through a constitutional amendment; see DC v Heller.  Well, I mean there would have to be an amendment to allow lawmakers to make laws that would specify the nitty gritty. 

By the way, I'm still cleaning up the beer I spat out when I typed, "GQP would be down with gun control."  Whoops I did it again.

On 5/4/2021, 10:09:48, dessa_dangerous said:

Nothing shocks me anymore after I found out that there are grown-ass, childless people who simply live in Southern California and put money aside to visit Disneyland once a YEAR.  They have their little favorite characters and universes that they follow and enjoy going as grownups alone to Disneyland and refer to it as "Disney."  

Going even once sounds like pure hell to me, and I'd only do that if it were a.) free and I was the only one allowed in the park b.) to take the kids of someone who'd died in a fire c) to take a kid whose last wish it was or d.) because they were handing out free waffles, diamonds and Cadillacs to everybody who bought a day ticket but didn't actually ride any of the rides.

Twenty-five years ago I was one of the parent chaperones of Fuenfling's high school band trip to SoCal and we spent a day at Disneyland. I'd hoped to go to my grave without ever making such a visit, but the trip was free and as uniform manager, I was obligated to go. What was awful was the adults' response to Disneyland, as if they were on a Hajj to Mecca.

44 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Twenty-five years ago I was one of the parent chaperones of Fuenfling's high school band trip to SoCal and we spent a day at Disneyland. I'd hoped to go to my grave without ever making such a visit, but the trip was free and as uniform manager, I was obligated to go. What was awful was the adults' response to Disneyland, as if they were on a Hajj to Mecca.

I've been to Disney twice. Once in Florida (with friends while I was over touring at the end of my first year at uni - end of the 90s) and euro Disney (around 6/7 years ago) with Mrs and kid.

Florida was great. I'm not the roller-coaster type and I wasn't really that othered about going on much else, just was soaking up the whole being there thing. No stress, no hassle. One of the girls there with us had family staying over in one of the parks so we even managed to be able to stay late on one of the evenings.

With Mrs and kid, different story.  The stress started the minute we got the park as we had to book where to eat. Then we had to plan which shows, which rides to prioritize. For some we tried to get the early or priority pass but even at 10am, some were all gone for the day. Totally different experience and I would not want to go back, with or without kids.

It was ok, I enjoyed it but doing that in the summer holidays (we also had the Saturday and the Sunday)  was just really just an expensive way to stand stand in queues. Without a kid it wouldn't have been so bad, we would have juts walked around, did what we wanted but with a kid there, it's more their holiday. Although my daughter said at the time that she would have been more exited if we had gone a year or two earlier (she was turning 6 at the time), but then she most likely wouldn't have remembered much.

I have nothing against adults who really like to go, enjoy etc, it just isn't something i'd do myself. 

I’ve can’t believe how many Germans I meet who rave about flying to Florida numerous times and visiting Disney World.  The bottom line is that people everywhere are attracted to this stuff, which is why these theme parks are an international phenomenon.  Not my thing, but 🤷‍♀️.

4 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I’ve can’t believe how many Germans I meet who rave about flying to Florida numerous times and visiting Disney World.

I used to listen to an NFL podcast and the producer on there lived virtually next door to Disney World and had a year pass and would spend almost any spare time she had there.

I must admit if I visited Florida I would also visit Disney World but could not imagine flying to the US just to visit Disney World.

I would definitely go for the experience if I was already somewhere close, but travelling across continents to do it or queuing for rides on arrival is not my bag.

The best one we visited when the kids were small was Playmobil land near Nüremberg - lots of stuff to do and not much queuing. Very hands on. obviously for Playmo aged kids.

A girl reported to be 11 or 12 years old shot and wounded two other students and a member of staff at a school in the US state of Idaho, police said.

The unnamed pupil, who is in the sixth grade, brought a gun to Rigby Middle School in the city of the same name and opened fire.

The three victims are expected to survive, officials said.

A female teacher managed to disarm the girl and detained her until police took her into custody, authorities said.

BBC

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just so you know, Florida, California and New York are not America.

What about Arizona ?

I'm a Brit - have no clue whats going on in AZ other than what I pick up from the media.

Don't know if the AZChronicle or whatever it's called is trustworthy or fake news.

Please feel free to correct me or join me in my dispair...

As I understand it, The audit of the (already audited election) from last November is being 

run by "Cyber Ninjas", a  company run by someone who is convinced the ballot was rigged.

They count in a stadium and need to check 2.1 million votes. 2 weeks in they have 10% done.

Their lease on the stadium runs for another 2 weeks.

Observers have to sign a non disclosure document so they can't say what they observe...

And all this in the name of democracy... 

Experts who have run or overseen elections have questioned the accuracy of the ballot counting process, which differs significantly from the methods used for audits in Arizona. And several experts interviewed by The Arizona Republic were skeptical that Senate contractors could tally all 2.1 million ballots in just a few weeks.

Still, the CEO of Cyber Ninjas, the Florida-based firm the Senate hired to lead the process, said on April 22 that he was planning for counting to last about 16 days. And Bennett previously said the process was on track for completion in the time available.

The pace so far is well short of that goal.

more

If you follow other leads, you''l find that they're now looking for "bamboo" in the paper.

They appear to photograph every sheet, analyse it and report its bamboo content.

As (wait for it) bamboo comes from the south east and there are reports that some

40.000 ballots were flown in (from China??) and used in the vote last November.

“There’s accusation that 40,000 ballots were flown in to Arizona and it was stuffed into the box and it came from the south-east part of the world, Asia, and what they’re doing is to find out whether there’s bamboo in the paper,” John Brakey, a longtime election audit advocate, told reporters.

"South-east part of the world"?? - are these flat-earthers too ??

Bamboo 

Come on now, it's Friday in AZ too isn't it ?

:blink: