Only in America...

2,945 posts in this topic

Pub in Harburg where I ended up in 1989 fresh from London.

Landlord was Wolfgang, a bearded liberal musician. 
We got chatting and, for some reason , about ID cards and Anmeldung. I told him I had no idea what Anmeldung was and didn’t have an ID card. I had just arrived.

He was surprised..” wie wird man dann kontrolliert?”

I remember it well.

My illusions have gone.. we are all being “ controlled “ anyway. 

This post as well! 👍

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

You need to be registered (on the electoral register) and you will get a card in the post telling you which polling station to go to - you don't even need that card to vote - you turn up, give your name and address, and get given your ballot paper. I have a postal vote based on my last location where I voted in person.

I’ve lived and voted in 8 US states and this has always been how it’s worked for me too. And in a well run elections there’s a school, church, community center, post office, .. on every corner that serves as a polling place. The problem is that some states, like Georgia, want to make the laws more restrictive and/or reduce the number of polling places in order to disenfranchise certain groups of voters. That is morally wrong and undemocratic.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_identification_laws_by_state

So in fact in the UK, it's bound to be quicker because there's no ID involved. 

I have never waited in such lines, because my state and/or county, or town, was not trying to disenfranchise voters.  It of course occurs, but not universally.  However, it should not ever be allowed to occur anywhere.  

I have voted in person, by mail, and the latest was via email.  There’s a wonderful feeling when you walk to your local polling place, greet your neighbors, and cast your vote.  It’s my favorite way to do it.  😊

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Correct. If they want to fix it, they need at least a national ID card. And they won't.

Works fine in the UK without an ID card.

I`ll use your favourite saying here...It`s all FUD.

The water,ID etc etc are all just distraction from the fact that there is voter suppression going on.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

I also don’t understand why people can’t bring their own refreshments. Or is that somehow illegal?

6 hours ago, engelchen said:

I don't understand why everyone is focusing on not being able to provide refreshments to voters standing in line and not why voters need refreshments when standing in line?!?!:blink:

Am I the only one who thinks a system that requires voters to stand in line for hours to exercise their right to vote fundamentally flawed?

Englechen has answered johngs post succinctly.

I see what you mean, Keleth. Took a while ( including fresh eye drops!)👍

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

If they want to fix it, they need at least a national ID card. 

Why? I'm Canadian and we don't have national ID cards. Most people have a driver's license (issued by the Province) and those without one can get a Age of Majority card (also issued by the Province).

I don't think I've ever waited more than half an hour to vote in Canada and I think my neighbours are making themselves the laughing stock of the world. 

24 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I don't think I've ever waited more than half an hour to vote in Canada and I think my neighbours are making themselves the laughing stock of the world. 

To be fair, America has been the punchline for quite some time now. I am actually mildly surprised we haven't seen a mass shooting or dozen at polling sites yet, frankly.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Why? I'm Canadian and we don't have national ID cards. Most people have a driver's license (issued by the Province) and those without one can get a Age of Majority card (also issued by the Province).

Well, I can't remember waiting more than 5 minutes... and a liquor card as a way of identification is stupid. It's just society making up for a clear government job: simple and unequivocal identification of any citizen.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Works fine in the UK without an ID card.

TBH, the system as described seems easy to scam. Works fine perhaps because nobody bothered complaining about it.

I`ll use your favourite saying here...It`s all FUD.

The water,ID etc etc are all just distraction from the fact that there is voter suppression going on.

Best way to end voter suppression is making voting simple. ID card can speed it up hugely, but of course this does not fit on libertarian minds, so it won't work.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

TBH, the system as described seems easy to scam. Works fine perhaps because nobody bothered complaining about it.

Who are these tens of thousands of people in your head going to polling centres to impersonate other people to steal their votes? It's just a bizarre thing to be frightened of and, yes, it does have the tinge of racism to it, however subconscious. Obsessing over voter IDs is a sideshow ...

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

FFS people have given you examples of how it works and how long it takes.

No ones bothered complaining about it because its simple,efficient and it fucking works.Why fix something if it`s not broken.

Now please explain how if they made ID cards compulsory in the UK how that would speed up the voting system.

7 hours ago, Fritsen said:

Who are these tens of thousands of people in your head going to polling centres to impersonate other people to steal their votes? It's just a bizarre thing to be frightened of and, yes, it does have the tinge of racism to it, however subconscious. Obsessing over voter IDs is a sideshow ...

AFAIK there was only one case that someone was found guilty of in the US election and that was a Republican.

Well, I can't remember waiting more than 5 minutes.

Where ?

In the US ?

but of course this does not fit on libertarian minds, so it won't work.

Lol I`ve never been called a Libertarian.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Third mass shooting in 2 weeks.

"Guns don't kill people..."

But as Eddie Izzard put it: they kind of help, don't they?

thompson2.jpg?resize=600%2C459

I think the chopsticks are an unlikely touch. :D 

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/capitol-security-threat-04-02-21/index.html

• The US Capitol is on lockdown due to a security situation outside the building. 
  • A suspect is in custody following reports that someone rammed a vehicle into two US Capitol Police officers, police tweeted.
  • A DC Fire spokesperson said their agency is responding to a reported shooting at the north barricade of the building. 

I hope this has nothing to do with today being Good Friday...

The suspect in the Capitol car ramming is dead, and the policeman who was struck by the car has also died.

I hope we find out his motives. Bollocks to him anyway. And others grieving because of him.

Neo-Nazi? Islamic fanatic? Basic loser? Drug addict? Maybe we’ll find out.