Only in America...

2,401 posts in this topic

We really come from very different countries. Your anglo-saxon culture says good ingredients come from big cities.

I'm not saying good ingredients come from big cities, I'm saying big cities provide a great variety of food and ingredients.

I would take that variety over the quality you are talking about (which is a negligible difference). I would rather be able to eat Mexican on Monday, Japanese on Tuesday, Italian on Wednesday etc etc with ingredients that are a day old than eat fresh fish and potatoes every day of the week.

I don't know why you think the US is any different to Portugal though when it comes to fresh produce though.

I don't claim Portugal has the best food on the planet but I seriously doubt that America has. The best countries to eat are, IMO, without specific order, Portugal, Italy, Greece, France. The worst were the Netherlands, Belgium, UK.

For a vegetarian Portugal had the worst food followed closely by Spain and France. No vegetarians don't eat fish.

Italy and Greece are pretty good

But the best food in Europe is to be found in the UK, simply because they've let the Indians take over.

And I agree with Hutcho. I'd prefer a tasty well cooked curry made from 4 day old vegetables then a bland stir fry of fresh vegetables.

And I agree with Hutcho. I'd prefer a tasty well cooked curry made from 4 day old vegetables then a bland stir fry of fresh vegetables.

OK - but if that's the case then the best food in the world is in India and China.

For a vegetarian Portugal had the worst food followed closely by Spain and France. No vegetarians don't eat fish.Italy and Greece are pretty goodBut the best food in Europe is to be found in the UK, simply because they've let the Indians take over.And I agree with Hutcho. I'd prefer a tasty well cooked curry made from 4 day old vegetables then a bland stir fry of fresh vegetables.

Mmm Not sure, visited Portugal, Spain and lived in France and I could find good food... Korea was the top worst place for vegetarians in my book, closely followed by the Philippine "Its not meat its Bacon".

But then again...

Regarding the US have the best food. I'd say Curry is better in England (then again what would the alternative be) but I miss the variety of cuisine in the US brought by the variety of communities.

I still have not found any decent sechuan food in Munich for example. (and Paris is one of the worst place for foreign food in the world)

I guarantee you my relatives in Pennsylvania would much rather eat their scrapple (a PA-Dutch specialty that I personally find repulsive) ...

Also, FWIW, PA Dutch cuisine is a uniquely regional "American" food.

Only in America, Dutch people are actually Deutsch.

The best Dutch food is anyway...Indonesian

@Amanda: You go off topic again with your Chinese cuisine.

Yesterday, in King of Bacon, waffles with bacon and chicken or a bacon muffin incl. cheddar cheese (1300 calories).

American breakfast cereals...

Kellogg’s Toasted Honey Crunch (per 30g)

Calories: 220

Saturated fat (g): .5

Carbohydrates (g): 50

Sugar (g): 19

post-16893-13946184105056.gif

Another bizzare product you are likely to only find in...

post-76844-13946216765416.png

Only in America, Dutch people are actually Deutsch.

I have tried explaining this to my relatives and learned my lesson. But these are some of the same people who, when I told them I was studying in Taiwan, asked me if I was learning to speak Thai. I give up.

@Amanda: You go off topic again with your Chinese cuisine.

Yeah, sorry about that! I need to stay true to my words. :P

...You may drive 2000 km through the country without a single penny in your wallet (as credit cards accepted everywhere) only to get stuck at San Francisco bridge where the toll is only collected by cash. Damned 6 dollars...