Only in America...

3,025 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2021, 11:57:23, john_b said:

Required reading for TT's resident Cruz & Limbaugh wannabes.

Haven't they left?

So tell me, dear Americans living in Germany:

If you find your bathroom draughty (or a breeze in any room for that matter),

would you kit up for an expedition and climb between the walls into

a secret next door apartment via your mirror ?

Is this for real ??

After Samantha Hartsoe stumbled upon an entire three-bedroom apartment hidden behind the bathroom mirror in her own New York home, she chose to ignore the lessons of any good horror film – and explore further.

“Curiosity killed the cat, curiosity is going to kill me,” the Roosevelt Island resident told NBC New York. “I can’t not know what’s on the other side of my bathroom.”

Hartsoe’s adventure, which took place earlier this month, was outlandish even in New York’s notorious housing market, where real-estate horror stories are almost a badge of honor. The 26-year-old documented the ordeal online and millions tuned in, offering comparisons to films such as Parasite and Candyman.

In a series of now viral TikTok videos, Hartsoe first notices a cold draft in her bathroom, strong enough to blow wisps of her hair. Then she looks behind her mirror, revealing the concealed apartment

Guardian story

Apparently the effect of a Taser depends on the amount of body fat:

Obviously Tasers need different settings for different body sizes: Normal (50000V), overweight (100000V), obese(200000V)

The reason why the officer stpped the car:

"Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said Officer Baker stopped a black Chevrolet Camaro owned by a person with outstanding drug warrants.

When Baker approached the vehicle, he learned the owner was not the driver and Aaron says the situation “devolved” into a shootout.

Holbert, who police identified as the driver, opened fire on Baker, shooting him in the torso. Baker returned fire, Aaron said.

After the shooting, Holbert drove away and crashed the car nearby. Officers rendered aid before paramedics arrived."

Not only in America - it's true around the globe. This from First Dog in the Moon, an Australian strip.

dog-1.png?resize=600%2C561

May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'He was just havin a bad day'

Robert Long shot nine people on Tuesday. Eight of them died. Seven of the dead were women and six were Asian.

A police spokesman said in a press conference that Long had been having a bad day, perhaps as an excuse. But he didn't say anything about the victims' day.

Another nutter with a gun. I'm not yet convinced it was a hate crime against Asians but we will see. 

The best story I saw was the 76 yr. old Chinese woman who got punched in the nose for no reason and then picked up a stick/board and beat the shit our of her 29 yr. old white attacker. That was a hate crime against Asians - virus people.

These stupid people who are attacking "Chinese virus" Americans these days are Trumpers. Problem is they are attacking all Asians, not just from China in their ignorance. Not that Chinese should be attacked.

Long went to three different establishments, all of which were staffed by Asians. Only one was in Atlanta, and the two others were in suburban areas. I think it's clear he was seeking Asians, and not just choosing sites at random.

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

These stupid people who are attacking "Chinese virus" Americans these days are Trumpers. Problem is they are attacking all Asians, not just from China in their ignorance. Not that Chinese should be attacked.

It's an old story unfortunately.  When I lived in Michigan in the early 80s the nuts of the day were attacking Asians (they couldn't tell who was who) due to anti-Japanese sentiment.  I was a contractor at GM in Detroit.  And everyone knew who the contractors were because we were the ones who drove the Japanese cars.  We got flack for that too.  You wish the world would have evolved since then.  Really sad.  😒

Or he was attacking sex workers who he thought were a "temptation" due to his sex addiction and extreme Christian upbringing. Two of his victims weren't Asians. 

Now you can sue me for calling them sex workers but we all know what a massage with a happy ending implies in many of these massage places and not only the ones run by Asians.

In any event, they were not Chinese.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Or he was attacking sex workers who he thought were a "temptation" due to his sex addiction and extreme Christian upbringing. Two of his victims weren't Asians. 

God protect us from religious nutters with guns.:o

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Now you can sue me for calling them sex workers but we all know what a massage with a happy ending implies in many of these massage places and not only the ones run by Asians.

In any event, they were not Chinese.

I can't find it right now, but a witness reported that he shouted something like "Kill all Asians."

Regardless, though, Mayor Bottoms has indicated that neither business was on the radar as being an illegal operation of any kind, and the new Georgia hate crime statute would make killing women because they are women most definitely a hate crime. If he felt tempted by them because they are women,  it's a hate crime.

He can't get around it. The dumbass asked the police if he was going to prison for the rest of his life. Well, yeah. Now we have to figure out how long Georgia is going to let that be. The great state of Georgia still has the death penalty, you know.

22 hours ago, AlexTr said:

the new Georgia hate crime statute would make killing women because they are women most definitely a hate crime

Would that make a difference? Would his sentence be any different if he did it say e.g. for financial gain?