Only in America...

2,979 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2021, 7:50:31, Keleth said:

https://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2014/07/one-of-the-most-vivid-arithmetic-failings-displayed-by-americans.html

Unbelievable but true,a burger chain released a 1/3 burger for the same price as a 1/4 pounder from McDs but it didn´t sell well because according to focus groups they ran customers thought they were getting less meat because 1/3 is smaller than 1/4 apparently.

I read that 'License to kill' was actually original called 'License revoked', but they found that a lot of Americans asked didn't know what revoked meant..

(To be fair, California man was called that in Europe as they found that a lot of people didn't know what Encino meant).

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

Not sure what surprises me more:

that there is sufficient demand for chicken on waffles to run a restaurant or that someone would risk being locked up for considerable time just being able to wolf down this concoction faster and without putting a mask on for a few moments.

3 hours ago, capslock said:

Not sure what surprises me more:

that there is sufficient demand for chicken on waffles to run a restaurant or that someone would risk being locked up for considerable time just being able to wolf down this concoction faster and without putting a mask on for a few moments.

Waffles and fried chicken (the dish) is definitely a thing in the south.  I've never had it but would try it. 

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

Waffles and fried chicken (the dish) is definitely a thing in the south.

I've never seen it or heard of it in South Carolina and I've had all soul food including chitlins. 

That doesn't meant that it isn't there, of course.

The South is a big place.  I'd never heard of mustard-based BBQ-sauce until I went to Aiken, SC.  One time I was at a BBQ joint in Aiken that mysteriously had 2 dining rooms.  What's the deal with that?!? 

Hint: it was segregation

31 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

What men and women? A lot of pubs in the north of England were like that!;)

50 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

The South is a big place.  I'd never heard of mustard-based BBQ-sauce until I went to Aiken, SC.  One time I was at a BBQ joint in Aiken that mysteriously had 2 dining rooms.  What's the deal with that?!? 

Are you talking about Duke's? I've been going there since I was a tot. Never saw segregation. When was that? Or maybe it was Carolina Barbeque in New Ellenton.

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Are you talking about Duke's? I've been going there since I was a tot. Never saw segregation. When was that? Or maybe it was Carolina Barbeque in New Ellenton.

I can't remember the name. It was on a main road with not much else around it kind of at the top of a hill. Only open Thursday-Saturday. 

It wasn't actively segregated, but there were 2 separate dining rooms (one was closed when I was there) because the building clearly used to house a segregated restaurant.

That must be Duke's and they close off one side until it is needed. Seriously, I've gone there all my life. Lovely family business.

Interesting, capslock. I live in Greece and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone leave a tip at a taverna. Maybe because tavernas are family run? All the family are involved rather than an outside student or whatever?

I tip all the time - restaurants, taxi drivers , hair dressers. But it doesn’t seem to be the norm here.