Only in America...

2,945 posts in this topic

NRA files for bankruptcy, moving from New York to Texas

The National Rifle Association has filed for bankruptcy and announced it is moving from New York to Texas.

The gun rights advocacy group says it is making the move to escape the “toxic political environment of New York.”

Now the organisation, which has been chartered in New York since 1871, says it plans on restructuring as a Texas non-profit.

“Today, the NRA announced a restructuring plan that positions us for the long-term and ensures our continued success as the nation’s leading advocate for constitutional freedom – free from the toxic political environment of New York,” said NRA executive vice-president Wayne LaPierre.

“The plan can be summed up quite simply: We are DUMPING New York, and we are pursuing plans to reincorporate the NRA in Texas.”

Mr LaPierre insisted that the NRA was “as financially strong as we have been in years,” and said there was no plan to move headquarters from Fairfax, Virginia, to Texas.

There are more than 400,000 NRA members in Texas and the group will hold its 2021 annual meeting in Houston.

3 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The National Rifle Association has filed for bankruptcy

4 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Mr LaPierre insisted that the NRA was “as financially strong as we have been in years,”

So how does that work then?

21 minutes ago, Keleth said:

So how does that work then?

Read the rest of the article in the link...

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

I read the entire article, as well as others related to it.  Like Keleth, I can't deconflict the two statements unless “as financially strong as we have been in years,” means the NRA has been in financial trouble for years.  Someone saying "I'm as financially solvent now as I was years ago" doesn't reveal anything about the solvency, other than duration.

10 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Please show me where it explains how they can file for bankruptcy while being "as financially strong as we have been in years".

41 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Please show me where it explains how they can file for bankruptcy while being "as financially strong as we have been in years".

The NRA has a massive endowment.  It will remain through the bankruptcy.

https://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2014/07/one-of-the-most-vivid-arithmetic-failings-displayed-by-americans.html

Unbelievable but true,a burger chain released a 1/3 burger for the same price as a 1/4 pounder from McDs but it didn´t sell well because according to focus groups they ran customers thought they were getting less meat because 1/3 is smaller than 1/4 apparently.

In the 1980s, Keleth!! Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if the reactions were even less educated now - and not only in the US.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

https://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2014/07/one-of-the-most-vivid-arithmetic-failings-displayed-by-americans.html

Unbelievable but true,a burger chain released a 1/3 burger for the same price as a 1/4 pounder from McDs but it didn´t sell well because according to focus groups they ran customers thought they were getting less meat because 1/3 is smaller than 1/4 apparently.

That‘s not surprising.  A few years ago a survey was done in the US, asking if Arabic numerals should be taught in schools.  Most Americans said „No“.

telnaes5-scaled.jpg?resize=600%2C441

Nine-year-old handcuffed girl pepper-sprayed because she wouldn't lift her legs into police car.

"I saw Ann Telnaes (WashPo)‘s cartoon about the little girl who was pepper-sprayed before I saw the actual report, so I went to Google News and, sure enough, there it was in Rochester.
And in Nevada.
And in Seattle.
And in Pasadena.
And in Burlington.
And in DC
And in Minneapolis.
And in Fort Wayne . . . they got her twice." Quoted from Mike Peterson's blog, http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2021/02/02/csotd-who-knows-and-who-cares/

On 17.1.2021, 19:56:15, john g. said:

In the 1980s, Keleth!! Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if the reactions were even less educated now - and not only in the US.

The link to the 2014 NYT article is priceless: on losing money by overestimating the American public's intelligence.

On 1/18/2021, 12:10:02, Space Cowboy said:

That‘s not surprising.  A few years ago a survey was done in the US, asking if Arabic numerals should be taught in schools.  Most Americans said „No“.

In Ukraine there was a TV program, the host asked people on the street what do they think about heterosexuals. Most answered, "we do not want them to impose their agenda on us".

On 1/18/2021, 12:10:02, Space Cowboy said:

I used to be intelligent and was nearly caught out there!😂 For a moment in history I wondered what the problem was!!

Then I realised the errors of my ways!!🙏🏻

A fight that erupted over snow shoveling allegedly led to a Pennsylvania man shooting two of his neighbors to death, authorities said. He then shot and killed himself.

It's defo snow joke...

But in all seriousness, very sad situation and one that would seem to have been simmering for a long time. A person doesn't shoot two neighbours over a one off argument. 

A  comment from ABC News website : 

Bill:

"If the only tool you have is gun for problem solving, then every problem is going to look like a target... "

A girl with whom I went to high school went on to become a reporter for a local Washington, DC television station.

Last year she visited her brother in North Carolina.  When she arrived at his house, she saw that a Trump 2020 political sign had been placed in his yard.  Her brother is a staunch Democrat.  She thought it had been placed there out of spite, so she removed it.

It turned out that the sign was actually in her brother‘s neighbor‘s yard, just a few cm over from the (unmarked) property line.

The neighbor, instead of speaking to her, stepped out onto his porch and Shot her with a pellet rifle.