Only in America...

2,722 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

That's Fox News for you. People will literally believe anything. 

Yes, I don't know if it is any better these days with the internet but I lived in Colorado Springs (just down the road from Denver)for a while back in the late 80s, beautiful place but people were so poorly informed, the 1 hour 6 pm news would have at max no more than a minute given to international news (which usually meant from Washington DC), even when the Berlin Wall came down it got no more than 20 secs. The rest of the hour would be completely local e.g. accident on I25, dog tied up in back yard is eaten by a cougar and of course a liquor store robbery, etc, etc, drove me mad, I could not wait to get back to Europe.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Yes, I don't know if it is any better these days with the internet but I lived in Colorado Springs (just down the road from Denver)...

The last almost 20 years of my working (= work that was rewarded with a salary) life was for a US IT company with headquarters in California (& large office complex in Broomfield, CO).
It was a running joke amongst us Europeans that when the company referred to "global" in reality it was US + Canada.

2 hours ago, HEM said:

The last almost 20 years of my working (= work that was rewarded with a salary) life was for a US IT company with headquarters in California (& large office complex in Broomfield, CO).
It was a running joke amongst us Europeans that when the company referred to "global" in reality it was US + Canada.

I worked for that firm for a few years (the one that currently owns the Broomfield assets), and my experience was similar.

What do you mean? From where I sit, it is medical negligence. I've had friends over there sent home same day after mastectomies, etc. with drainage tubes and psychological trauma. 

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

What do you mean? From where I sit, it is medical negligence. I've had friends over there sent home same day after mastectomies, etc. with drainage tubes and physiological trauma. 

Sorry was not meaning to be nasty.  I know in the UK of elderly patients being sent home with drains in they cannot cope with.

No problem. I've had multiple surgeries here and was kept in hospital until all drains were removed and in one case after 7 days of physical therapy.

I did have one same day surgery on my foot. No drains and I had to give myself those blood thinning shots for a week. No problem.

Man alive! When I had a total knee replacement 15 years ago (in the US), it was four days in the hospital, with morphine the first two days, followed by two weeks in a SNF (skilled nursing facility), where I got physical therapy every day, and lots of oxycodone until six weeks post surgery. 
I can only hope that the operation has lost some of its brutality in those 15 years, but I somehow doubt it. 

One day in the hospital? This belongs in the Flummox thread!

I read that a hip replacement in the US costs 33000$, in Germany 7000€.

So, if you are send home the same day you possibly have a cheap insurance?

To be fair, there is some new surgery which is far less destructive than earlier stuff.  Of course there will still be dressings and drains, but if people can have help at home could be beneficial.  But what about physio? And people who do not have relatives to look after them?

I don't know about that, @AnswerToLife42. Since I retired from a major HMO, I have excellent healthcare insurance and pay only $500 out of pocket for any inpatient admission.

But chiefly what affects ALOS (average length of stay) is comorbidities such as obesity, cardiopulmonary problems, age, diabetes, and non-white ethnicity.

11 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I read that a hip replacement in the US costs 33000$, in Germany 7000€.

So, if you are send home the same day you possibly have a cheap insurance?

This doesn't surprise me. I received a cochlear implant in 2017 that cost around €30,000 euros in Germany. That included a four-day in-patient stay and rehab.

I've talked to cochlear implant recipients in the US that paid more than $100,000 for the procedure, only without rehab and as an out-patient.

I know that medical personnel salaries in the US are much higher than in Germany but there must be something else at work here. I don't know what.

@kathieliz What kind of Medicare supplements do you have and what do you pay monthly, if you don't mind me asking?

The problem for most people is affording insurance before being eligible for Medicare which is 65, I believe.

My girlfriend is a Paramedic in SC and her employer covers part of her insurance. She can't afford any for her 13 yr. old daughter - that would be $700 more a month. This is pretty typical for a lot of people with salaries too high to get on Medicaid.

I don't even think I would qualify for Medicare after living overseas for 30+ years. Do you know?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Hmmmm. My ex paid in but I was a stay at home mom.

I do not qualify for Social Security either.

I believe the rules for Medicare are similar to SS - if you get remarried, you can no longer claim against your divorced spouse's entitlements.

@fraufruit, last year $150 of my Social Security went for Medicare each month. My HMO - Kaiser - covers all sorts of things Medicare doesn't cover. Many/most people pay for supplementary in addition to Medicare. I get a retirees' benefit on all purchases from the pharmacy at my HMO's hospital and I pay $5 for medications on the formulary list. I couldn't afford to live, literally, if I hadn't worked for Kaiser. :)