Only in America...

2,452 posts in this topic

The Utah state senate voted unanimously on Tuesday to effectively decriminalize polygamy among consenting adults, reducing penalties for a practice with deep religious roots in the predominantly Mormon state.

The bill, which would treat the offense of plural marriage as a simple infraction on par with a parking ticket, now moves to the Utah house of representatives, where it is likely to face greater resistance.

The bill swiftly cleared the Republican-controlled senate on a vote of 29-0 with little discussion

More

Newly released body-camera footage shows the moment a police officer in Florida arrested a six-year-old girl as she cried and begged not to be taken from school.

Kaia Rolle was led to a police vehicle with her hands fastened behind her back in zip ties after having a tantrum at her school in Orlando that included kicking and punching school personnel.

Kaia had since been transferred to a private school. Kirkland is also now petitioning the state to make 12 the official minimum age for arrest.

Currently, Florida does not have a legal minimum age [to be arrested]

So the school called the cops because a 6 yr old had a tantrum ?

Then the cop took her away in handcuffs (cable ties) ?

OK - he got fired

No minimum age for marriage

No minimum age for arresting

Serious need to be dragged into the 21st century as regards human rights.

more

Milwaukee shooting: five dead at Molson Coors campus after employee opens fire

An employee opened fire at the Milwaukee campus of Molson Coors on Wednesday, killing five fellow workers before taking his own life, police said.

Police identified the man responsible for the shooting at one of the world’s largest brewers of beer as a 51-year-old Milwaukee man who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

“There were five individuals who went to work today, just like everybody goes to work, and they thought they were going to go to work, finish their day and return to their families. They didn’t and tragically they never will,” the Milwaukee mayor, Tom Barrett, said.

This is the 45th mass shooting in the USA, so far this year, and February isn't over yet...

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

So the school called the cops because a 6 yr old had a tantrum ?

Then the cop took her away in handcuffs (cable ties) ?

OK - he got fired

No minimum age for marriage

No minimum age for arresting

Serious need to be dragged into the 21st century as regards human rights.

more

The officer got fired. Apparently, no one but him wanted to arrest the girl.

Here.

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

The officer got fired. Apparently, no one but him wanted to arrest the girl.

Here.

So who called the cops for a six year old's tantrum?

@HH_Sailor Police known as School Resource Officers are a regular fixture, sadly, in schools in the US. He was assigned there as his "beat" as it were.

He's an asshole. I feel comfortable saying that without meeting him.

Can we have more politicians (sorry, lawmakers) like her please : 

(in Germany too!)

The US representative Katie Porter has secured free coronavirus testing for all Americans

after presenting compelling evidence in the US House of Representatives on Thursday.

According to her calculations, coronavirus testing would cost a citizen a minimum of $1,331.

She pressed a member of the administration to commit to making all testing immediately free and he conceded 

Congresswoman Katie Porter secures free coronavirus testing for all Americans

Oh, and while I am still wishing - can the US please sort out a simple to use,

free at the source medical system ?

Can't get it into my head that the place has over 25 million people uninsured

and thus don't have a family doctor and can't afford to be sick (even a little)

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

That is why myself and some others are here. Can't go back due to the insanity.

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Can we have more politicians (sorry, lawmakers) like her please : 

(in Germany too!)

Congresswoman Katie Porter secures free coronavirus testing for all Americans

Oh, and while I am still wishing - can the US please sort out a simple to use,

free at the source medical system ?

Basically, the post of the day/year/decade. I can´t get it into my head, either.

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Wednesday said she was “honestly shocked” to discover there are still seven states that “really aren’t doing much at all” to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

Maddow, citing the National Governor’s Association, said Texas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Idaho and Wyoming had not yet implemented statewide measures in response to the public health crisis.

“No state-mandated school closures. No state-mandated limits on large gatherings,” she said. “No state mandates on the operations of businesses like bars and restaurants.”

Maddow noted how, in some places, political leaders had issued “nonbinding recommendations” and “urgings,” which led some local school districts and businesses to take matters into their own hands and shutter of their own accord.

“But in all seven of those states, no statewide rules,” she said.

“Because sure, why not? Make it up yourself. See how it goes. No reason to panic, right? No reason to hustle. Let’s just see how this plays out,” she added.

Baltimore mayor Jack Young on Wednesday implored city residents to stop shooting each other amid the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic, following an attack on Tuesday in which a suspect shot seven people.

“We’re dealing with the COVID virus and those of you who want to continue to shoot and kill people in this city we’re not going to tolerate it,” Young said at a press conference. “We’re going to come after you and we’re going to get you.”

The shooting occurred in daylight around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, when the suspect pulled out a rifle and shot into a crowd of people. The suspect is still at large, with no known motive.

“We can not clog up our hospitals and their beds with people who are being shot senselessly because we’re going to need those for people who might be infected with the coronavirus,” Young said. “It could be your mother, your grandmother, one of your relatives so take that into consideration and put down the guns.”

here

Conservative televangelist Kenneth Copeland told viewers of his ministry's program that they were "healed" of the coronavirus disease as he prayed while asking them to touch their televisions screens to receive the spiritual healing.  😂

That's disgusting! Jeez - someone had better start sending thoughts and prayers to Copeland's televangelist congregation. 
Ugh. And when they get sick, I expect he'll beg them to send him money for nostrums that will be equally inefficacious, because of their lack of faith. 

All this should be illegal.

19 hours ago, katheliz said:

That's disgusting! Jeez - someone had better start sending thoughts and prayers to Copeland's televangelist congregation. 
Ugh. And when they get sick, I expect he'll beg them to send him money for nostrums that will be equally inefficacious, because of their lack of faith. 

All this should be illegal.

There's also the risk that members of his congregation will be out and about spreading the virus because they believe they were cured through the TV and can't be sick.

15 minutes ago, LeonG said:

There's also the risk that members of his congregation will be out and about spreading the virus because they believe they were cured through the TV and can't be sick.

That, too! 

Trump is speaking in that sedated tone we've got accustomed to him using while talking about the virus (which he didn't call 'the Chinese virus' today). He only gets enthusiastic when he can talk about himself and the wondrous creature he embodies. 
Speaking of wondrous bodies, Dr. Anthony Fauci is absent today. Has he been told to permanently report in sick, rather than counter Trump's fantasies with facts?

@ BethAnnBitt:

I'm curious to know whether Copeland also charged the faithful for this blessing/cure.

Or did he merely request donations?

1 minute ago, onemark said:

@ BethAnnBitt:

I'm curious to know whether Copeland also charged the faithful for this blessing/cure.

Or did he merely request donations?

The guy was never on my radar.  But I recently mentioned this fiasco to my mom who sarcastically said "Oh yes.  And I'm expecting any day now that Trump will appoint him as the head of something on the Coronavirus team."  :lol: