Only in America...

2,377 posts in this topic

Lets be honest, no self-respecting Canadian would call themselves "North American". They might get mistaken as American (as in the country, not the continent).On the other hand....Why are Americans so patriotic at home, but some try to hide their nationality when abroad?

Plenty of Canadians refer to themselves or their style/standard of life, cultural norms etc "North American". It's not uncommon on online profiles for Canadians to list their locations as "North America." I will concede that as a Canadian you may have come in contact with one or two more Canadians than I have, but IME many Canadians refer to NA as a cohesive unit. In contrast, many United States of Americans forget that Canada exists [irony] [sort of] and make no reference to it or consider or comment upon its influence on its cultural or political practices.

I don't know very many patriotic Yanks (my 78-year-old retired government worker gramma is one of the best educated subversives I know) but I am told they exist in large numbers and in high concentrations in many/most parts of the country apart from that in which I spent the first 23 years of my life. I do not expect they become any less patriotic when they travel abroad; that being said, last I checked, a scant 20% of Americans possessed a passport, so there may be negligible overlap among inquisitive, educated-well-enough-to-afford-to-get-off-the-continent travelin' Yanks and the Dixie scum festering in the backwoods. One reason that Yanks avoid giving away their Yankee status abroad is to avoid pointless lectures about how we personally are responsible for all the evil in the world and are stupid, fat and lazy to boot.

We were shopping and I put a jar of pickles in the cart. She took them back out, saying we already have pickles...

my husband does this and it drives me bananas. If it's up to him he will wait until the last drop of something is gone at home, then just go without it (or substitute something of "mine" for his exhausted supply) until the next time he makes it to the store. Maybe it has something to do with the small fridges? Residual post-war frugality? No clue but he too has learned to leave well enough alone when I think more than one day in advance or, God forbid, put two of something in the shopping cart.

my husband does this and it drives me bananas. If it's up to him he will wait until the last drop of something is gone at home,

Same here. She lets the diesel get dangerously low before she'll go to fill it up, too. I'm the kind of person who fills the tank when it's about half empty. I'm the same way with just about everything.

I will absolutely flip out, if I'm of the opinion that there isn't enough food for any particular meal. It doesn't matter whether it actually is enough or not, I just have to be of the opinion that it isn't.

If I buy something, I have to buy two. I just have to.

I posted a picture on FB of my shopping once. Two bags of chips, two bottles of mustard, etc. and one block of cheese. My wife posted, "where's the second cheese?". I really am that bad... :ph34r:

Speaking on behalf of all the Americans out there who happen to be at least 3/8ths Irish, this song is for you!

I mean at least 1/8th Irish!

My son's best buddy asked us over lunch if we were any part Irish. "No." She was incredulous. "Really?? So then I'm the only Irish person here."

"Um, yeah." :rolleyes: This indoctrination obviously starts young. Even though Jr has a German passport, he told her he was American. B)

People born in USA are called "Estadounidenses" in Spanish and "Estadunisence" in Portuguese.

No. In Portuguese (at least continental Portuguese) they are called "Americanos". It is not a pejorative term, btw.

Regarding continents, yes, we are taught of 5 continents. America is a single entity, from Canada to Patagonia.

the gun is too small, but yeah, that's about how it is...

post-10916-13940279459335.jpg

Wheres the hash browns,gravy and pancakes?

Keep the bacon. I'll have the steak and eggs please, medium rare, sourdough toast, side of gravy and a large milk. COLD MILK.

post-76844-13940917095906.jpg

Samoas Girl Scout cookies. Only in America, and only this time of year. I bought 4 boxes. :o Now what I need is self-control...

...the Dixie scum festering in the backwoods.

Eloquent. You really are dangerous Dessa. Hope there aren't any members here who are from the South. :P

my collague was just telling me a story how she visited her 80 smth year old aunt& uncle in Miami recently. at the first night she noticed that they hadn't locked the doors and asked if she should lock them before they go to bed. they just looked at her puzzled and by taking out their guns from their couches replied: no worries we're good...

Samoas Girl Scout cookies. Only in America, and only this time of year. I bought 4 boxes. Now what I need is self-control...

I thought you weren't allowed to call them that anymore. :-\