Only in America...

2,193 posts in this topic

Trump announces changes to the 'endangered species act' to benefit oil & coal industries.

Ilhan Omar is allegedly trying to push Sharia law on the U.S.  That don't impress me much.

I don't understand how you get a minature horse weighing more than 50kg into a seat on a plane:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/15/miniature-horses-still-cleared-to-fly-as-service-animals/

Miniature horses still cleared to fly as service animals

"Your next flight could feel more like a petting zoo.

Miniature horses are among the types of service animals the US Department of Transportation has approved for planes in its latest ruling on the matter.

The decision came after more than a year of deliberations over how to regulate service animals and emotional support animals on flights. Travelers have tried to bring in all kinds of animals onto flights in recent years, from peacocks to pet pigs."

A 50kg horse is allowed, but peacock not. (only if you leave the pea at home)

A horse in a plane: https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/789904504317698048/photo/1

Must be business class.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The link also mentions a veteran carrying a pitbull dog as emotional support?? A labrador yes, a pitbull no.

Golden Retrievers bite more people in the US than any other breed. So why the selective, breed specific animus?

I checked your statement and I'm surprised that Golden Retrievers are indeed the No.1 biters in the US. They are supposed to be family-friendly. Pitbulls, however, are heavily involved with fatal accidents, namely 66% of all fatal bite incidents.

In UK they are considered family dogs. The reason for their aggressive behaviour mostly is at the other end of the leash.

Any dog can be made aggressive but big dogs cause more damage.  I think golden retrievers are among the most common breeds though so the question is if the number of bites are disproportionate to their numbers.

12 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Golden Retrievers bite more people in the US than any other breed.

Not only do the bite - they may also also knock out your front teeth when they jump up on you to greet you while you´re bowing down to greet them. Happened to my mother.

@jeba Exuberance is a thing among Goldens. I'm sorry to hear that.

@LukeSkywalker The point is that breed specific legislation and the accompanying prejudices are predicated on issues related to owners and not dog. Furthermore, pit bull is not a breed. Not even a little bit. It is a phonied up classification that is less than meaningless. When you read that "pitbulls" are responsible for more deaths, what you are actually reading is that mixed breed dog of indeterminate breed background are responsible for more deaths. 

These are the facts.

@MikeMelga You must not even be able to eat in German restaurants. Every single one of them has at least one dog inside. Must be awful.

I believe pitbulls (or whatever group of dog breeds that actually encompasses) used to be known as "Nanny dogs"

Very good with kids.

I've only really known 4 of those (who were indeed all sweet as anything) so I have anecdotal evidence only.

Golden retrievers have the image of family dogs. Families get an "easy dog" which they then don't train as fully as they probably should. And then kids are stupid around dogs (We've been training mine for 2 years but when she's excited and happens to be around the dog she'll still hit him).

Also, there's just waaaaaay more of em than most other dog breeds.

They're also not the worst dog to have. Chances of the problem being on the other end of the leash . . . . are good.