Only in America...

2,250 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, john g. said:

As far as I can remember at the market in Harburg, the tradespeople always told me the price of a " Pfund Tomaten." And my last time there was only 5 years ago...

They still do, I regularly buy fruit and veg off the market using the Pfund.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

I came across this headline today:

Is Brexit UK about to ditch the metric measuring system - and could your pint glass change with it?

Calls for the return of the Crown mark on pint glasses have led to fresh demands for an end to Metrication

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/brexit-uk-ditch-metric-measuring-12433144

just another way of alienating the UK from the rest of the world. Who would want to enter into a manufacturing partnership with the UK when it uses another measuring system?

Blimey, French bean..I even remember coming back from a year in  Germany  to England in 1971 and there had been the decimalization of the pound and I got on a bus and just showed a bunch of coins to the bus driver. I didn´t have a clue.

And I remember my much younger brother Colin telling me much later he had just been to the barber´s and I had asked him to cut 5 -10 centimetres off his hair and the hair dresser  said: " what´s that, son?"

16 hours ago, hooperski said:

The United States is the only major country that has resisted, but we have no reason to be ashamed for using feet and pounds."

"It's totally made up,"  he says. (Isn't everything?)

"It connects us to our ancestors".  (So why not bring back measles, smallpox and slavery if you're that keen on living in the past).

16 hours ago, Smaug said:

and witch-burning!

And women back to the kitchen!! Yeah!

One US ton = 2,000 pounds.

One pound = 16 ounces dry weight - can be of any volume.  Riddle:  What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

One quart = 32 ounces liquid weight by volume.

One pint = 1/2 quart = 16 ounces liquid weight by volume.

And for those who like mnemonic devices that rhyme, 'A pint's a pound the world around.'  I think we inherited that little jingle from England. :) 

24 minutes ago, Metall said:

And women back to the kitchen!! Yeah!

Yeah, and pressure given in "pounds per square inch" and torque in "foot-pounds", lovely.

5 hours ago, katheliz said:

Riddle:  What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

I dont know about lead but a pound of gold really does weigh more than a pound of feathers.

5 hours ago, katheliz said:

One pint = 1/2 quart = 16 ounces liquid weight by volume.

And for those who like mnemonic devices that rhyme, 'A pint's a pound the world around.'  I think we inherited that little jingle from England. :) 

This is the only in America thread, so naturally a pint is only 16 oz in america.  In the UK its 20 oz

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

a pound of gold really does weigh more than a pound of feathers.

Other way around actually. There are only 12 ounces(~373.24 g) in a pound according to the troy measurements by which gold is weighed. 

1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

Other way around actually. There are only 12 ounces(~373.24 g) in a pound according to the troy measurements by which gold is weighed. 

That Troy guy is a real dick.

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

That Troy guy is a real dick.

Not when it comes to ounces. A troy ounce actually weighs more than a normal ounce. 

~about 31 grams instead of the usual 28 that every stoner knows about. 

Oregon Statehouse Shut Down After Lawmakers Team Up With Right-Wing Militias

Oregon’s statehouse shut down for safety concerns on Saturday. But the threats weren’t coming from anonymous trolls or foreign fighters—they were coming from the state’s Republican senators, who have teamed up with right-wing militias to threaten violence over a climate change bill.

Eleven of Oregon’s Senate Republicans fled the state this week to avoid a vote on a bill that would cap greenhouse emissions. The group, believed to be hiding in Idaho, left the state senate with too few lawmakers to hold a vote. But the move is more than a legislative maneuver. The missing senators have partnered with right-wing paramilitary groups to threaten violence, should they be brought back to Oregon.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/no-gays-allowed-sign-store-yelp-tennessee-10-5b20e8178098e-png__700-349x330.jpg

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/no-gays-allowed-sign-store-yelp-tennessee-5b20e9c658925-png__700.jpg

I was wanting to buy some rope and a white robe for a lynching, but Billy Bob was too busy out back being fucked by his cousin to serve me. Godammit!

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

The easiest way to lose 10% + of your business.

Brilliant.

If you hammer "Amyx Hardware & Roofing Supplier" into google and look at the google reviews, you will notice that somebody tagged his shop as "Gay bar"... And the 300+ reviews are a lot of fun to read, too.

22 minutes ago, franklan said:

tunashamed.jpg.695a1029fe1917ebcd222b0d8

It took me a while to figure that one out...

You didn't know about the practice of tuna shaming? It's real big in dolphin circles... ;)