Only in America...

1,985 posts in this topic

This Forum has been around how long? A Decade or so… And no one has ever created an “only in America” thread? There’s an “In the meantime in Canada...”, and a recently created “In the Meantime in Germany...” but no `Merican one. makes me wonder about my fellow countrymen/women :o

more than enough happens in the states that's laugh or cringe worthy, to be surprised or disgusted by.

Only in America…

1. can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

2. are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.

3. do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

4. do people order double cheese burgers, large fries, and a diet Coke.

5. do banks leave both doors to the vault open and then chain the pens to the counters.

6. do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

7. do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

8. do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

9. do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

10. do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

This is no surprise: The U.S. had the largest defense budget in the world in 2013.

post-14005-1393695367419.gif

Source: IISS

This one just in from Time.

1 in 4 Americans apparently unaware the Earth orbits the sun according to a recent survey and only half (48%) knew that humans evolved from earlier species of animals.

http://newsfeed.time...n-orbits-earth/

But the Earth and sun orbit result (74% knew that the Earth orbits the sun) was still better than the respondents from the EU! Only 66 percent of European Union residents answered that one correctly.

Humans DID NOT evolve from earlier species of animals.

Evolution is an atheistic communist lie.

God made us....he also made currywurst and German beer.

Lecker!

Only in America…

8. do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight...

Haven't you seen Bulletproof Monk, there was an Explanation for the above mentioned phenomenon.

Edit: @sr5dnptylno

When someone tried to convince me of the existance of God I asked her how we all decended from Adam & Eve and pointed out that there must have been a lot of incest going on, to which she had no answer!

And how many Americans know that the cold weather is not made in Canada at all and that the FED is not a government Agency?

http://centre.telemanage.ca/links.nsf/articles/E565B5C857585F8385256DF1001A8A77#about

Humans DID NOT evolve from earlier species of animals.

Evolution is an atheistic communist lie.

God made us....he also made currywurst and German beer.

Lecker!

thank god for all of that...the people idea could be improved but it's hard to get everything right on the first try...let alone in six days

" 10. do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering. "

So.. it shouldn't be possible to drive a blind person to somewhere where he or she could withdraw money?

The real "hot coffee" story. Do look at the 3rd degree burns on this old lady if you can, including the skin grafts. Do read about the callousness of McD's.

http://eater.com/archives/2013/10/22/watch-the-true-story-of-the-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit.php

Hot coffee has always been hot. It is beyond my logical comprehension how one is supposed to hold a hot cup of anything and read the warning label pertaining to the hot contents inside which one should be feeling after about 1/2 second.

post-25561-13937452739923_thumb.jpg

Nice thread red wings. The car rental company sixt has some nice ads with wonky laws after they have gone into the USmarket.

- of course hot coffee has always been hot, but not 180 degrees hot, which was actually the problem!

There was also a court case where somebody with a campervan with autopilot in it, left the cabin to go and make coffee(?), anticipating the autopilot to simply continue "driving". Well, it didn't work, did it?

I don't know, maybe it's jut me, but it sometimes seems that common sense has somewhat gone out of the window, being replaced by the option of taking somebody to court if anything goes wrong!

"2. are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink."So handicapped friends and family members shouldn't be able go and watch their friends and family skate? Or go and watch an ice hockey match? Weird.

that's the whole point of the thread Nina, the American mentality... it's a ice skating rink, you go there to go skating. WTF do you need a handicapped parking place for? sometimes the obvious escapes them.

" 10. do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering. "

So.. it shouldn't be possible to drive a blind person to somewhere where he or she could withdraw money?

The ATM machines are on the driver's side. Pretty impossible to reach all the way across from the passenger seat and out the driver's side window to feel the machine. Of course the driver can do the transaction for the blind person.

Only in Amish country in America does one see people driving horses and buggies through the ATM machines. I think.

Still not over the Kinder Surprise eggs thing. It was the greatest disappointment for my little brother when we moved back to the U.S. after being in France for a while (we lived there from when he was 6 until 10 years old or so).

I once met a guy in Sweden who had been engaged to a girl originally from Oklahoma. He spent some time with her family over there and told me he got yelled at for wanting to walk to the Walmart < 1KM away and they insisted he drive. He found it ludicrous, but I told him it was probably because there were no sidewalks in between the house and the store. God forbid someone *walk* somewhere, especially when there's plenty of parking available. Only in America.