Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New worker's (Verdi) strike at Munich/Frankfurt/Cologne Airports

32 posts in this topic

Not helpful but I'll congratulate you for not ranting and raving at those aholes who just strike because they know they're holding 10s of thousands of passenger to ransom for their demands. People will miss their own and other's weddings, funerals, job interviews, make/break business meetings etc, while the heros who save us from hijackers hiding around every corner....

So I'll say it so you can take the high ground.

the heros who save us from hijackers hiding around every corner....

are being offered 10-13€ an hour to do that, so they probably can't even afford to go to relatives' weddings.

While strikes do inconvenience people, and everyone gets annoyed if it happens to them, I would sure be upset if the right to strike were taken away from people, because it's one of the few tools a collective has to put pressure on those who are screwing them in order to make more profit.

Certain Jobs in Germany already have the right to strike taken away.. Look it up.

And in this case, the security people can strike all they want as long as the passengers

and the job/process of getting them thru the checkpoint are not affected. Inconveniencing the

passengers is unacceptable. If want to strike, go after the CXX's of the security company.

it's kind of sad but this proves that if you piss and moan enough someone will find the answer for you so you don't have to.

are being offered 10-13€ an hour to do that, so they probably can't even afford to go to relatives' weddings.While strikes do inconvenience people, and everyone gets annoyed if it happens to them, I would sure be upset if the right to strike were taken away from people, because it's one of the few tools a collective has to put pressure on those who are screwing them in order to make more profit.

I didn't intend for this thread to get political, but I agree that €10-13 is not a lot of money. However, I don't think it's fair to say than giving someone a job that pays €10/hr is "screwing them.". If you want a fat salary Germany provides many ways to achieve that: you can become a lawyer, a doctor, an engineering, start a business, take an entry-level job somewhere and work your way up, etc., the list is endless. You can also look for a better paid job if you think your services are worth it: the whole of the EU is open to you to carve yourself a lucrative futre. It would be lovely if we could live in a world where everyone can afford to be a jet-setter but unfortunately that's not realistic.

I haven't ranted and raved about this but I am about to do that now: I respect the legal right of the workers to go on strike, but I resent the deliberate harm they've caused to the airlines and the passengers. This was a sudden strike, at one of the busiest airports in the world, that hit on a Friday evening (exactly the time and day of the week when travel peaks and you can cause the most harm) with no warning. I haven't moaned or bitched about it, and I can't understand why some posters have accused me of that: I've even been extremely courteous in my dealings with the airline and the travel agent, and remained courteous in this thread in spite of the snide remarks. This incident hasn't caused me a lot of harm--I wasn't flying to say good-bye to a dying parent or to my daughters wedding--so I don't find it so hard to stay cool and turn my other cheek, but I bet many of the people affected have been seriously screwed. It pains me to know that.

10-13€ an hour is what cleaners can command - and many of them do that under the table and don't even pay tax on it.

Comparing wanting more than 10-13€ an hour for a job with quite a bit of responsibility and shift hours to a doctor or lawayer salary is silly.

And I think what Redwingsrule meant about the moaning and bitching is not so much what happened as such, but that you didn't know what to do about it and kept asking and asking, and the information was there all the time - but you mobilsied TTers to go through it and spoonfeed it back to you.

My question has been misunderstood. I am not blaming the readers (not even the snarky ones): I realize my wording is ambiguous. I've edited the thread's subtitle to clarify. What I am looking for is a legal interpretation of the situation. If anybody knows of relevant statutes or precedents please post them here.

In my view it's not clear what the passenger rights in a situation like this are. When flights are cancelled or a passenger is denied boarding because of overbooking, the regulations clearly state what the passenger's rights are, but what about when the flight isn't cancelled but travellers cannot reach the gate because of an operational issue?

I hope that you now have this sorted out, but legally as you have said it is not covered by the EU passenger bill of rights and as the airline didn't cancel then you are reliant on their goodwill in order to rebook or refund you.

I might be a bit late now (just read this today) but my advice would be to call the airline and be nice to them, the travel website will not help you any more as they just sold you the ticket and are just a website ( a proper TA might try and rebook you) and will tell you that it is an airline problem. So you would need to call the airline and see what they say.

Worst case scenario is that you would have to sue the airline to get your money back, they might blame the airport but you just have to point out that your contract is with them and if they have supplier problems then they need to deal with that themselves, as you were unable to receive the services and goods that you purchased.

But I am sure that the airline would help, it is not in there interest to piss of passengers due to such circumstances (they are not ryanair!).

Not helpful but I'll congratulate you for not ranting and raving at those aholes who just strike because they know they're holding 10s of thousands of passenger to ransom for their demands. People will miss their own and other's weddings, funerals, job interviews, make/break business meetings etc, while the heros who save us from hijackers hiding around every corner....

So I'll say it so you can take the high ground.

I did read somewhere that when the walked through the terminal with their banners that passengers booed them. Good for the passengers I say. One worker was quoted on BBC as saying that they "only get 11.70 euros/hour while in Stuttgart they get 14 euros/hour". While I don't disagree that everybody has a right to ask for more pay, going on strike and disrupting innocent people is not going to get any sympathy from me, and there is nothing stopping them getting another job else where such as in Stuttgart!

Last year I flew 26 times through Frankfurt, and the security is always slow, in efficient, not very customer friendly. (Although ironicly the last twice I have only need 10mins from checkin through security and passport control!).

Once we waited 1 hour in security in T1-B, simply because they only had 2 machines operating. There were not a lot of passengers (probably < 100), just not enough security and of the 2 machine 1 was dedicated for busines/elite passengers and they refused to let others use it (despite no more that 2-3 people waiting here). And when they did open a third machine it took 10 minutes from when the staff arrived until they had finished their nattering and passengers could actually go through. So they are not my favourite people!

I did read somewhere that when the walked through the terminal with their banners that passengers booed them. Good for the passengers I say. One worker was quoted on BBC as saying that they "only get 11.70 euros/hour while in Stuttgart they get 14 euros/hour". While I don't disagree that everybody has a right to ask for more pay, going on strike and disrupting innocent people is not going to get any sympathy from me, and there is nothing stopping them getting another job else where such as in Stuttgart!

Aside from, you know, lack of enough jobs at Stuttgart airport to employ all the Frankfurt workers. There are very few ways for low-skill workers to exert bargaining power, and this is one of them. I fly often and dread getting caught up in one of these, but I don't see any other way workers can increase their cut of the revenue.

Pay is set by the market, the (considerable) bargaining power unions have results in that being topped up in unionised jobs relative to ununionsed jobs. I've even seen this at work in companies operating a Tarifvertrag, where the Tarif workers get a good raise and there is then nothing left for the Aussertariflich workers.

Since the going rate of €10-€13 per hour is obviously not resulting in staff shortages we can conclude people feel better off doing that than whatever other jobs for the low-skilled are out there. With the open EU labour market and most eastern European countries still having salaries vastly lower than that, I don't see the situation getting any better. Even skilled jobs, IT and such have been going offshore for a long time to even cheaper places and this will continue as long as we have huge global discrepancies in pay and conditions.

The security thing at Frankfurt is more a catastrophic design failure rather than down to the staff, you can't blame the security personnel for this. T1A has seen Lufthansa gradually move most of its Schengen operation there over the last couple of years, and there just aren't enough security checkpoints to get the passengers through. Less importantly, the Lufthansa lounges are often standing-room only because of the same pressure and lack of capacity. A few years ago you could turn up an hour before departure, check your bag, and still have time to waste. These days you'd stand a 50/50 chance of missing a flight from T1A with that timing. The business lane is no better because there are dedicated (and fewer) checkpoints there, rather than a queue-jump to the front of the economy line. The "fast track" for economy passengers cutting it fine also just jumps any queue that starts before the ropes, and only opens 30 minutes before departure so if there is a queue you are also screwed if relying on that.

T1B and T1C (except the morning rush hour) are usually a lot quicker.

Incidentally I got caught out by that strike and ended up buying a flight out of Cologne, for rather more money. I've yet to find out how much money I get back from LH. I imagine just a refund of the ticket price rather than the difference between the two tickets.