Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New worker's (Verdi) strike at Munich/Frankfurt/Cologne Airports

32 posts in this topic

I was booked on a LAN Chile flight last night from Frankfurt to Madrid that I couldn't get on because of the security strike at Frankfurt airport. The airport was open, but security was closed so it was impossible to access the boarding areas of the airport. Only connecting passengers could get on flights as they would already disembark in the secured area of the airport.

As far as I can tell the flight wasn't cancelled. According to flightaware.com it left with an hour delay. I couldn't get any information from the airline.

My question is, am I entitled to a refund, or having their flights rebooked free of charge in a situation like this? I would think that technically I am not since I didn't turn up at the gate at the requested time and the fact that Ver.di decided to wreck havoc on the travel plans of thousands of passengers is not the airline's problem, but maybe I am missing something?

The flight was not booked directly with the airline, but through fluege.de. Yesterday I tried to rebook the flight with the airline but I couldn't, or rather, they said they couldn't do it, because I was already "checked-in". Today they said I had to deal my the travel agent (fluege.de), which I thought was fair enough. Fluege.de is notoriously difficult to contact. Emails just get an automatic answer, which basically states that they won't read your mail. I couldn't get my calls answered (the recordings say that they are too busy and to try later or check their website). I think I've finally managed to get a message to them through a "Kontaktformular", but I thought I would try and find out what my legal stand is in this situation while I wait for their answer.

Some information that maybe relevant to the case:

The airport issued a press release yesterday afternoon telling passengers not to bother to come to the airport because they wouldn't get to security.

The airline sent me this message a couple of hours before departure time:

We inform you that your flight LA705 of 21FEB departing from FRANKFURT with destination MADRID, due to security strike in FRANKFURT the airport has CHANGED.

To reconfirm your flight please go to http://www.lan.com/cambiofecha

UNQUOTE

The link didn't work last night and still doesn't work today, so that wasn't very helpful.

I would be thankful for any insight.

and why would we know if you can/will be reimbursed or rescheduled? that would be a question for LAN Chile, not an open forum. :huh:

There are only 2 people that can help.. Lan Chile and fluege.de Only they know the answers and various situations and

can help you out. Asking here would be useless.

No, it isn't. Airlines don't make the rules.

that may be true but they have your money and control if / when and what you can do with the ticket in your possession.

so let's ask it this way:

Has anyone ever had their flight cancelled due to airport staffing problems or other operational reasons?

if yes, what did you do?

since they give you the option to reconfirm, it looks like it might just take a while.

gee, let me think.... oh, now I remember, I called the airline(or went to their ticketing desk).

Once you're checked in, most airlines take responsibility for rebooking the flight if needed. I've never had a case where the airline refused to rebook, but I've never flown LAN Chile. Before checking in, it's *usually* the seller's responsibility, but I've seen airlines make changes anyway.

I would go to the LAN desk in the airport and make your requests/explain the situation, rather than do it by phone, although I *have* done it by phone with other airlines while waiting in line for the agents at the airport desk...

I've heard (and experienced) too many horror stories dealing with German flight web sites and travel agencies that I generally don't. It's not a service-oriented culture. I buy my international flights mostly via US web sites or from the airline web sites directly. I sometimes will deal with expedia.de because they're an international company's German outfit.

Yes, I went back to the Airline and the people I booked the ticket through and got a new ticket and partial refund...

ooohhh wait.. No I didn't.. I jumped on some Random Expat Internet forum and asked there.. They know everything about everything.. ;-)

JK.. I did the 1st option..

My question has been misunderstood. I am not blaming the readers (not even the snarky ones): I realize my wording is ambiguous. I've edited the thread's subtitle to clarify. What I am looking for is a legal interpretation of the situation. If anybody knows of relevant statutes or precedents please post them here.

In my view it's not clear what the passenger rights in a situation like this are. When flights are cancelled or a passenger is denied boarding because of overbooking, the regulations clearly state what the passenger's rights are, but what about when the flight isn't cancelled but travellers cannot reach the gate because of an operational issue?

There are only 2 people that can help.. Lan Chile and fluege.de Only they know the answers and various situations and can help you out. Asking here would be useless.

@Darknight. I've read the EU Passengers Bill of Rights but that deals with cancelled flights and denied. The situation experienced by passengers at Frankfurt Airport on Friday was different. Most flights were not cancelled or delayed. It was just that passengers could not get to them.

I'm going to say this just one more time. Perhaps you'll get it into your head.. There are only 2 entities that can help you in this case

The airline you were to travel on and and company you booked the tickets thru. Asking about Passenger rights on TT is pointless.

Get off your ass and go bitch and moan at those 2 sources until they give you what you want. All Stop.. EOD

Why don't you check the link provided by LAN Chile again - as far as I can see, all the information is there.

Thanks, ruapehu. The link hasn't worked for me since Friday ("under maintenance", it still says). Is it working for you(http://www.lan.com/cambiofecha)?. At the moment just waiting for an answer from the travel agent. Maybe they are just very busy with requests right now and it'll take a while to get an answer.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any information on passenger rights when a flight is not cancelled but the passenger is prevented to reach the gate because of strike action.

Yes...so now I suspect it was working all along and you have lost time by posting on here instead of taking a closer look at the page...although the main page says it is under maintenance, you can still check on the sublinks - such as check in or Startseite..once you tell them your home country, it immediately flashes up the info page.

post-10532-1393165298668_thumb.jpg

http://www.lan.com/de_de/sitio_personas/presse-lan/nachrichten-und-pressemitteilungen/pressemitteilungen/lan-informiert-die-passagiere-des-heutigen-flugs-la705 (German link)