Vladimir Putin - a great man in history

65 posts in this topic

What's there to red? The idea that ANY Russian leader, even if he were a saintly, cleanly-elected social-democratic reformer would EVER give up Sevastopol was always nuts. So either Western hawks had to be monumentally stupid, or they expected this and have some other plan in mind.

Vladimir Putin - a great man in history

Are we talkin bout shorty, homophobic, paranoid, Putin the thug? The little ex-KGB 'stuck in the past' dude is losing his grip on reality, scary situation. I think he needs to be monitored with drones in case he needs 'medical assistance'..

Merkel questions Putin's grip on reality

With this fighting over Sevastopol, the whole thing reminds me of a round of the game Diplomacy in my nerdly youth. I too remember being Russia claiming Sevastopol.

I'm going to get a lot of reds for this post but Putin is now absolutely humiliating the West, it is like watching a chess grandmaster playing against children. The leaders of the West were utter fools thinking they could stage a coup in Russia's backyard.

The Crimea has gone, that will remain in Russian hands now. China is siding with Russia. This latest bit of news is entirely unconfirmed but if true, it appears that Turkey is now siding with Russia.

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/130069/turkey-may-block-nato-ships-from-entering-bosphorus

Turkey has been in NATO since the early 50's, if it was to leave it would be an absolute hammer blow and possibly Putin's greatest triumph yet.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for the West to threaten to bomb Syria and Iran and invade Iraq and Afghanistan.

Oh, and by the way I think he is an utterly ruthless borderline tyrant. Get redding everyone.

I'm not going to red you, but I was just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the west staged this coup. From what I've seen, it's the Ukranians themselves who objected to Yanukovych turning his back on the west in favour of stronger relations with Russia. The demonstrations and the subsequent toppling of the regime were orchestrated internally and achieved without any western interference - apart maybe from some encouraging words.

China won't want to dirty their hands with this, because there's nothing for them to gain from backing either side, and I have my doubts on how much the Turks are actually backing Russia. Turkey has been seeking closer ties with the EU for years - in fact they've wanted to join, and I can't imagine why they would potentially jeapordise their own ambitions by siding with Russia over this.

Here's an interesting article that claims that Putin is overplaying his hand.

Putin's sledgehammer tactics are isolating him and his country, and the lack of subtelty and diplomacy doesn't look like the move of a clever grandmaster.

For those who understand German, here's a satirical self portrait of Putin, "Being Putin" by Karl Zéro and Daisy d’Errata (2012):

I watched the second half of this last night. It was as amusing as the first half, but not without a certain chill factor, e.g. when Putin makes international leaders squirm with a Mafiaesque reply to a polite but challenging journalist (what kind of mind comes up with the idea of 'radical' circumcision on the spur of the moment?), the reference to the assassination of the journalist Anna Politkovskaya on Putin's birthday, followed by a clip of a healthy Alexander Litvinenko saying Putin was responsible for her death, then a shot of Litvinenko in a hospital bed dying of polonium poisoning. The tone hits a jollier note as the credits roll over an excerpt from this (send-me-to-Siberia smiles all round):

Thanks for the tip about this documentary, RainyDays. It was very interesting.

(

)