Astra 2F and 2E Now 2G - New satellites arrive

1,341 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, locknut said:

we're just to the north east of Dortmund..  not sure the model etc. of the sky box.. it's just the standard issue - no plus or whatever.. no cranes that I can see but will have a proper look-see on the way home tonight..

btw..  we turned it all off and back on again to see if that made a difference..  errr... no!  all other channels that are being received look OK strength-wise..  on the program-guide some of the channel names are missing but appear when you select that channel..  funny, ain't it.?

Did you remove the power from the Sky box?  

Sometimes mine goes titsup and its best to remove the power for 30 seconds or so.

What is the signal strength and quality on both inputs?

I assume you have check all the cables are still firmly connected etc?  A quick google also showed this, so you can try some more things:

https://www.surewise.com/appliance-insurance/articles/quick-fixes-sky-digital-box-no-signal/

@dj_jay_smith - thanks for the extra tips..  there dosen't appear to be an issue with signal strength as the channels that we are receiving are like they always were.. 

when I say the channels have dissappeared, I mean the are not appearing on the channel guide at all..  it starts with BBC1 then where BBC2 used to be it goes straight to Channel 4 - we can't find BBC 2 or ITV anywhere - we have BBC 2 HD and ITV +1 though.. weird..!

Oh dear!

Normally if you remove the power then it will force the program guide to be updated, so try this (again).  

OK..  will do..  will shut the whole system down for a couple of minutes and start all afresh..

I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow..  :-)

Make and model number is critical.. for example the Grundig receivers were prone to power supply failure.. but some channels loaded.. others didn't... 

@dj_jay_smith crisis averted..  all power off.. I left it all off for a good 10 minutes..  power on..  left another 10 minutes before switching the telly / sky box etc. on proper from standby..  all back to normal..  :-)

I should have tried that the other night and I think I did know to do it but forgot that I knew it..  Anyway, thank you for the reminder.. :-)

(Now I just feel like a techno-duuhh... )

37 minutes ago, locknut said:

@dj_jay_smith crisis averted..  all power off.. I left it all off for a good 10 minutes..  power on..  left another 10 minutes before switching the telly / sky box etc. on proper from standby..  all back to normal..  :-)

I should have tried that the other night and I think I did know to do it but forgot that I knew it..  Anyway, thank you for the reminder.. :-)

(Now I just feel like a techno-duuhh... )

I'm glad it worked for you.

I thought the problem sounded similar to issues I have had in the past, but it was so long ago I could not be sure.

I've also had issues where one or both the inputs are showing no signal and powering off for a couple of minutes has also fixed that!

At the end of last week the BBC changed the transponder settings (specifically the FEC parameters) used by their HD channels so they will (unfortunately) now be harder to receive via satellite.

Are you sure...

SD is usually 2200 and 5/6

HD is usually 2300 and 8/9 qpsk...   

I haevnt had a single report of lost BBC chans this week...

52 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Are you sure...

SD is usually 2200 and 5/6

HD is usually 2300 and 8/9 qpsk...   

I haevnt had a single report of lost BBC chans this week...

SD channels have remained the same. HD is now 3/4 FEC, I believe it was previously 2/3. The channels are still there and viewable but the FEC change means a 24/7 reception isn't as easy as before (obviously reception is hugely dependent on location, dish size and time of day though).

https://www.a516digital.com/p/bbc-satellite-frequency-information.html

My experience tells me that 3/4 is lest sensitive to noise/Unclean signal,

so in my humble opinion, the reception should be better... only those that manually set their Recivers software to 2/3 would need to retune, those who left the tuner at "Auto" will be fine...

12 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

My experience tells me that 3/4 is lest sensitive to noise/Unclean signal,

so in my humble opinion, the reception should be better... only those that manually set their Recivers software to 2/3 would need to retune, those who left the tuner at "Auto" will be fine...

The problem is that the "higher" FEC means a stronger signal rate (dB) is required to receive the channel reliably. The higher the FEC value, the less error correction is taking place so the stronger the signal needs to be to avoid the reception breaking up.

Once the signal strength dips below approx. 8 dB at FEC 3/4, the reception will fail; at 2/3 FEC the signal rate could be lower without the reception being lost..

The signal strength being received is obviously dependent upon the dish size and location plus time of day though i.e. those in strong signal areas won't have noticed any change at all.

Sorry, by signal I meant the SNR. On my receiver that is always visible in dBs for each channel.

Ah... so you are relying on a receiver and not a Spectrum Analyzer....like to ones I use for measuring Sig Levels and BERs etc..

I would like to get a Sky UK dish plus digibox etc installed in Cologne. Any recommendations? 

This might not want to be what you want to hear...

BUT, upto now, I havent come across any company that is reliable or has the knowledge on UK sky tv systems..

Köln is about 90minutes drive from my, so my standard installation prices apply, plus travel cost of 125€ 

Dishes, Cables, Mouning brackets and Sky+hd boxes are in stock ( Just the sky card needs to be procured, by yourself or by me..) You know which would be cheaper... 

An email /PM with your adress and contact number is all it takes to initiate a call/installation..

I may call you a moaning fucker on line... but after you have made me a coffee, I would retract all comments!!   :lol:

Contact me before 1300 and you could be watching UK tv this evening!

Now... try and find another satellite installation company that would offer all that within 12hrs of posting on a forum!

BTW... You can pay Cash in an envelope or by bank TX... Its all legit and above board!

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

This might not want to be what you want to hear...

BUT, upto now, I havent come across any company that is reliable or has the knowledge on UK sky tv systems..

Köln is about 90minutes drive from my, so my standard installation prices apply, plus travel cost of 125€ 

Dishes, Cables, Mouning brackets and Sky+hd boxes are in stock ( Just the sky card needs to be procured, by yourself or by me..) You know which would be cheaper... 

An email /PM with your adress and contact number is all it takes to initiate a call/installation..

I may call you a moaning fucker on line... but after you have made me a coffee, I would retract all comments!!   :lol:

Contact me before 1300 and you could be watching UK tv this evening!

Now... try and find another satellite installation company that would offer all that within 12hrs of posting on a forum!

BTW... You can pay Cash in an envelope or by bank TX... Its all legit and above board!

Haha, believe me, as my wife will testify, i'm just as moany in real life. 

I'll send you a PM once we move into the new place. 

Does anybody know when pairing an existing Sky card to a newer Skybox, if Sky still sends the update signal via satellite ?.

It always used to be that way but all the newer boxes are paired over a broadband connection.

Just want to be sure before doing it as I haven't needed to do so for many years now.

I guess SpiderPig will know.

Thanks in advance.

Usually the request is sent over the internet by logging into your account at sky.com.. 

The upgrade is usually done via the internet as data is communicated to sky.. version numbers etc etc...  Then the activation signal is sent via satellite

If you call sky.. they will usually do it the old fashioned way.