Astra 2F and 2E Now 2G - New satellites arrive

1,341 posts in this topic

Is anybody else receiving no satellite signal just now? Both of us in our building with completely different dishes and directions have just lost signal. No winds or anything to explain a sudden loss...

Thanks for checking. I'm hoping if its weather related, it'll all "blow over" soon :-) 

Odd news here. 10pm and just saw Grand Designs for the first time in 5 years here in Bayern!

Update: Freesat have deleted the HD versions of Channel 4 :-( 

At ieast on my dish, the HD channel signal was stonger than the SD channel, so it will be missed especially on days with bad weather.

Odd one. Switched on TV yesterday and the signal is gone. For all British TV. So now I'm going to call a local service to re-arrange the dish. They will know what to do it if I tell them to point it to Astra 28.2 east, won't they? Or did the coordiantes change?

I helped a friend the other day, as their sat picture just dis-apperead

I looked around and we found that thin cable through the window-door was broken, after we fixed it the system worked perfectly!

I would check the cables and LNB, if I were you - maybe look at the signal strength page of your sat box - to see if there is anything coming in. 

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

maybe look at the signal strength page of your sat box - to see if there is anything coming in. 

I did. It says "no Signal". Everything else seems to be fine.

3 hours ago, Doctor Who said:

Odd one. Switched on TV yesterday and the signal is gone. For all British TV. So now I'm going to call a local service to re-arrange the dish. They will know what to do it if I tell them to point it to Astra 28.2 east, won't they? Or did the coordiantes change?

It is unlikely that the dish itself has shifted position.

@yesterday say.  It is more likely to be a problem between the dish and the box.  LNB or cable, or even the box itself!

1 minute ago, Doctor Who said:

I did. It says "no Signal". Everything else seems to be fine.

Unfortunately this doesn't help either way!

But, of course a good satellite installer will be able to track down and fix the problem for you.  Most are used to doing more complex set-ups so if you tell them that you get UK TV via Astra 28.2 East then they should understand.  You could always ask them if they have experience on such systems when you call them up before you make an appointment.

Unless you had high winds or the dish has been knocked around then I would imagine its your cable or LNB

if the cables are easy to access, then disconnect at both ends and do an electrical ohm test ( if you know what I am talking about )

if that does not fix and the LNB is easy access, just replace it

else call an expert

yep LNB is on the arm of the satellite dish

one further idea to know if its the box or not, try to get another sat box from a friend plug is in and see what happens

if not buy one from Saturn, plug it in - see what happens, if same situation take it back to Saturn and get a refund

else if it  works keep it

obviously, if your not sure ring an expert

ohm, testing the cable is not hard - I can it you if want 

4 minutes ago, Doctor Who said:

I'm really no expert on anything technical. Isn't the LNB on the dish?

Yes, it is the "receiver" which the cables come out of.   They can go wrong and break, so sometimes a replacement is needed.  This is more likely than the dish going out of alignment.

A cheap example (I'm not recommending this, I just wanted a picture to show you)

https://www.amazon.de/Anadol-Teilnehmer-Anschluss-Wetterschutz-Ausziehbar/dp/B079736TX2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538652720&sr=8-4&keywords=LNB

Thanks all. I guess if it is a broken LNB the technician guy will see it and replace it. I wouldn't know how to get to the dish on my Roof, tbh.

Switch the tv on... switch on the sat box... then find one of the following channels.

Travel Channel UK t.giff.gif   54102 2347 2348 Eng  
Retail Therapy TV f.gif   54103 2339 2340 Eng  
Best Direct f.gif   54112 2321 2322 Eng  
God TV UK f.gifs.gif   54113 2308 2309 Eng  
RT UK f.gifs.gif   54115 2356 2357 Eng  
Horse & Country TV f.gif   54140 2341 2342 Eng  
NTA International f.gif   54145 2305 2306 Eng  
JML Direct f.gifs.gif   54150 2337 233. Eng  
Aaj Tak UK f.gif   54165 .314 2315 Hin  
ABP News UK f.gif   54167 2353 2354 Hin  
Rok Sky f.gif   54171 2324 2325 Eng new
High Street TV 1 f.gif   54175 2344 2345 Eng  
TV Warehouse f.gif   54180 2330 2331 Eng  
Geo UK

Then nip down into the celler and at the Multiswitch, disconnect the Lwband Vertical connector and simply make a connection directly to the lounge...   You will need one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Type-Satellite-Screw-Barrel-Connector-Coupler-With-Nut-and-Washer-Adapter-/401505420441

if you get a picture... then the switch is buggered... if not, get your receiver checked... ( Can tune in for german TV just to check the box works)

Then call in the boys to get the dish sorted.

So the technician was just there. It was indeed the LNB. It was broken.

So now there's a new LNB on there and all works perfectly well again.

We watch British telly via a satellite and Sky box..  up until yesterday we were receiving all the standard channels but last night we switched on and we’ve lost some..  ITV, Channel 5, some HD versions of channels, 5Star..  oh can’t remember what isn’t there anymore..

Has this happened all over or is it just us.?

Nothing reported...

It may help to know where you located, exact model of skybox and if any cranes have appeared to the south of you overnight..

we're just to the north east of Dortmund..  not sure the model etc. of the sky box.. it's just the standard issue - no plus or whatever.. no cranes that I can see but will have a proper look-see on the way home tonight..

btw..  we turned it all off and back on again to see if that made a difference..  errr... no!  all other channels that are being received look OK strength-wise..  on the program-guide some of the channel names are missing but appear when you select that channel..  funny, ain't it.?