Astra 2F and 2E Now 2G - New satellites arrive

1,341 posts in this topic

So, With Sky and its partners moving channels to its UK spotbeams, Many many subscribers abroad can no longer get reception..

They are cacelling their Subs, hand over fist!

So, From June This year, Sky are Hicking the price up by 3.50 GBP per month... 

250% above the usual anual 1 GBP increase...

I guess more folks will cancel now and find alternatives..

Just have - only watched the F1 and the football, my wife watches German TV from the iPad so the satellite system was expensive and not used much - F1 is a now a mixture of sound from the F1 app + RTL picture - need a solution for UK football on the Internet 

Next week Real are selling a flat, rectangular shaped satellite dish.

The manufacturer is a company called COMAG. The dimensions are 27.7 x 51.7 x 5.8 cm. 

It's a long shot, but would this provide a better reception than a bigger, traditionally shaped satellite dish?

Certainly not... 

Bigger is better in satellite reception terms, upto a certain degree... ie, if the satellite is unstable in its orbit or has extreme evening fade, a bigger dish means bigger problems..

It's helps if you tell us where you are living then better advice can be given.

That's what I expected. I was hoping there might be some new development in Satellite dish technology.  

Where I live, a huge stand alone dish might improve the reception. However, this is not really an option as installation would be difficult and expensive. There's also the possibility of the signal being reduced again at some point.

How do you know there is a possibilly of a reduced signal?

Are you a satellite installer?  if not, how do you know how difficult and expensive it will be?

I'm not a professional satellite dish installer, but I have sought the advice of one.

I've heard a rumor that the signal will be reduced again. This might not be true, but there is always a possibility.

Well, I am a professional satellite installer and possibly the most reputable in Germany for UK satellite TV reception... And I have neither heard of nor started that rumour..

The only way they can close the beam further is by changing to KA Band transmissions and that would be rediculously expensive... 

For those who still have dishes: Heads up - TV channels Dave and Home will be broadcast on Freesat starting 1st August (not to be confused with freeview). I guess also a generic box not branded as freesat will start receiving them too if dish is pointed in right direction.

Hi all,

I have dish installed in 2012 by @SpiderPig. The dish was pointing to Astra 2D. All worked well till 2014 and one day heavy rain and wind came and after that the dish I believe got misaligned and no channels are coming since then. 

I didn't bother to fix also some rules changed in my apartment building. I still have the dish untouched and wanted to start watching some UK channels. I wss doing scan on the receiver and sadly same state, no channels are coming. 

Are the Astra 2D still broadcasting channels? 

I live in the suburbs of Stuttgart

Thank you. 

Just now, SpiderPig said:

Yes... nothing has changed...

AND... I drove past your place yesterday... Twice!

AAAArgh!!!! 

Damn! :(

If you come by this side again please let me know  

I want to know if I can tune on my own. I know that's your business :) but curious

As it doesnt work know.... you cant bugger it up anymore...

Go to Ch4 and try swinging the dish left and right... slowly... then move it up a few mm then try again... then down a few more mm...

SP

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

As it doesnt work know... you cant bugger it up anymore...

Go to Ch4 and try swinging the dish left and right... slowly... then move it up a few mm then try again... then down a few more mm...

SP

I believe I had done some scanning in the past. I don't see Channel 4 in mylist :(

I guess moving and trying is the only option ::

I think SP means that CH 4 is a good test channel, maybe slightly stonger than the other, and so would be easier to find, just dail in 104 to your remote, then move the dish around a bit !

You can also display the signal strengh and quality bars, from the setup menu, maybe easier to see the changes to these indicators than seeing a picture a appear, remember to move it a bit then wait 1 second, as it takes time for the system to recognise that the signal is better

good luck, SP can also help you

20 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I think SP means that CH 4 is a good test channel, maybe slightly stonger than the other, and so would be easier to find, just dail in 104 to your remote, then move the dish around a bit !

You can also display the signal strengh and quality bars, from the setup menu, maybe easier to see the changes to these indicators than seeing a picture a appear, remember to move it a bit then wait 1 second, as it takes time for the system to recognise that the signal is better

good luck, SP can also help you

And i thought it was because CH 4 is a weaker signal,nevermind silly me :)

On 7/18/2017, 9:19:39, paulwork said:

For those who still have dishes: Heads up - TV channels Dave and Home will be broadcast on Freesat starting 1st August (not to be confused with freeview). I guess also a generic box not branded as freesat will start receiving them too if dish is pointed in right direction.

Hey hang on. Dave is one of the only sat channels worth watching. Is old pre-punch Top Gear still on?

Normally you focus in on the stonger signals first as the weaker ones are harder to find

think about it 

if you are in a dark forest, you will much easier see a bright flash light rather than the small light produced by a match

the same is true with satellite signals, first focus in on the relatively high power flash light, then if you find it it, try to improve the signal by looking the lower power match !