Astra 2F and 2E Now 2G - New satellites arrive

1,341 posts in this topic

But it's disappointing to say the least that we can't have Brit TV here..

Nobody said you can't have British tv here, there are loads of programmes on SKY that are watchable, just not the BBC or ITV. If you want those you have to go the internet route, which will cost a little bit of money, but not a fortune. See here. Spider Pig can set you up with a system that cost a bit more than doing it yourself, but is, presumably, hassle free

Hi, we've been happily watching British TV on Freesat for the last ten years on Astra 23.5, on a 90cm dish, we've just come back to Germany after a few weeks in the UK and now it seems to have disappeared. I am not a great technical expert, but I used to find the British signal by first finding the German signal on 19 point something and then turning the dish a couple of centimetres further towards the East. This doesn't work anymore. We live about 40 miles east of Dortmund, so I know its a different set up for south Germany. Is it worth buying a bigger dish, or has it gone altogether. Do I need a new receiver? do I need to readjust the dish to a different angle. I realize that loads of you have this problem, but is there any kind of straight forward solution?  I haven't had time to read the previous 64 pages of the thread as I`m presently up on the roof trying to get the thing working because wanted to watch the rugby...which I am beginning to think wont be possible.

There have been no great changes in the last few weeks.
The satellites broadcasting UKTV are still at 28.2 degrees east of south - not 23.5 degrees.

I live a little north east of you, nearer the edge of the UK beams and have no problem with an 85cm dish.

Check your alignment - Dishpointer will show you a map and give you something to aim for. Enter your address and select the 28.2E ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2C | ASTRA 2D | ASTRA 2F group of satellites. Don't forget to check the elevation and LNB skew too.
Remember that while you have the clamp loose to move the dish it may fall forward under its own weight so the elevation may be incorrect. Try to hold the dish against the pole so it aims up at the correct angle.

Typically the standard definition signals are easier to get than HD channels and channels on the European beam are easier to receive than those on the UK beam. So if you are just looking for a signal, start with an unencrypted SD channel on a European beam. Once you have that you can tweak a little to get the other channels.

If you suspect your LNB, cabling or receiver try another group of satellites - such as the ones broadcasting German TV at 19.2 degrees east of south. They should come in loud and clear on a 90cm dish. If they don't you'll need to do some fault finding.

In case it helps, my freesat box is still receiving ok, and the last box software update was a while ago on july 20th.

However, if youve been away since early-mid september: i got a lot of automatic emails from the german weather service warning of high winds and storms in nrw. if your dish has moved in the recent winds - even by only a tiny amount - you may need to get the dish realigned. 

I remember the stormiest days I would come home half-expecting the dish to be knocked out of alignment. Luckily it survived the recent weather battering.

PS its probably quite unlikely, but no scaffolding or buildings or other line of sight blockages have suddenly sprung up facing the dish while you were away, have they?

Thanks very much for the reply, I had to give up in the end, but I'll try again tomorrow. Its good to hear, that we still ought to be able to get the English TV, I guess  if you can get a signal in Paderborn we should be able to  get it in Meschede.. Is the German satellite ( 19.2E) on the same elevation as the English one (28.2). I assumed they were, so I found the German channels, then turned the dish a bit  further to the  east, hoping to find the English one, but couldn't find anything. I've ordered a new Lnb ,as the old one looked a bit weather beaten. The signal strength on the German satellite reception  is 92%, and the quality is 80%. I don't know if that is below what it should be.   

According to Dishpointer, for an address in Meschede, the UKTV satellites are at an elevation of 28.3 degrees and the German TV satellites are at an elevation of 30.3 degrees. So the UKTV group is lightly lower in the sky.
I have a two LNBs on the same dish - one for German and one for UKTV. The UKTV LNB does have to look at a position slightly lower in the sky.

Normally there's a scale on the side of the dish frame to indicate the angle of elevation but that relies on the supporting pole being perfectly vertical and the markings are often so poor that it is difficult to set the angle precisely. You may have to aim in the direction indicated by Dishpointer and search for the UK TV beam using small movements in both the horizontal & vertical directions.

It is hard to compare signal strength & quality indications without a knowing precise LNB and receiver characteristics but you are using a dish far bigger than local German would need so in my (very limited) experience the values seem a little low. OTOH If the dish was aimed correctly at the UK satellites simply rotating it means it has the wrong elevation for the German satellites - but now we're going round in circles.

The bottom line is that you do need a different elevation for UKTV and German TV via satellite.

In the past 14 days, I have had calls from clients with Humax freesat boxes (Twin tuner) who have simply had "So signal" at all!!    even a simple re-boot didnt fix it..

We've got a Twin Humax receiver, with the 1Gb hard drive, Its always been very good up to now. Anyway I'm going out now to try adjusting the elevation down by three degrees to see if that makes a difference.  

I've got It!...Thanks very much for your help, the direction was 28.2 degrees east of south,  the elevation was 2 degrees lower than the German satellite, at 28.3 degrees.   

Apparently on the 24th of this month, BTSports have moved to the UK spotbeam...

From what I have heard BTsports2 and ESPN have remained on the europeen beam... but its likely to follow suit...

Is it just my dish or was the signal interrupted/updated overnight? Both my sky and freesat were on standby this morning and I had to power them back up to get reception restored. I checked the clocks and we didnt have a power outage.

My freesat box now has something about "monitoring" as a menu option. It looks like it updated and maybe interfered with the sky box since theyre both running to the same lnb. Weirdly, the freesat still says dec9th as last update date. Maybe there are soft updates that dont count towards the last update date. Very weird, but at least signal is still there.

Hi. Anyone know if anything has changed on the Astra satellites 

in the last few days? We were happily watching freesat on Sunday and then on Monday nothing. No signal at all and the same today. We're near Heidelberg with an 80cm dish and a Humax freesat box. Thanks in advance for any information!

I had a bit weirdness on my box. I have constant signal unless it interrupted overnight. BUT I noticed the humax freesat option to update software was missing from the menu. I had to reboot my box to get the "update" option back so I could then select it. Its busy updating the software right now - 19%. The last update was from dec last year...

Update: My software has now updated to 30 mar 2016. the newest version has a .31. at the end  of it. The only difference I can see is the epg text fonts for channel ids seem smaller/narrower and dont contain the channel logos any more.

What is weird is why the update date is 30 mar. I have definitely been checking for updates manually throughout April and it always said no updates available. Maybe 30mar means the date it was finished being created, not the date it was published and made available. Website still has 9th dec version, so it may be hot ofc the press - who knows?

9 hours ago, stevo74 said:

Hi. Anyone know if anything has changed on the Astra satellites 

We are also near Heidelberg with same dish size and all is fine.  

No, no obstructions. The dish has been set up in the same place for years.

My guess is that's the alignment is off after some windy weather, but I've spent a couple of hours trying to get it back with no joy.

In the past, I've always found the signal relatively easily so just wanted to make sure it's not something else before I persevere.

I'll have a look at the updates later and keep trying! Thanks :-)

Update: I have reception again :-) Turned out just to be the dish alignment. I ended up bringing my old TV and sky box back up to the living room and realigning the dish using the signal info on the sky box (which was showing about 40 to 50% signal strength and quality straight away dispite no signal at all according to the Humax). Once I had a decent signal I switched the cable back to the Humax box and all was fine. Pain in the arse, but at least I got to see Match of the Day on Saturday night! Thanks for the suggestions anyway!