Astra 2F and 2E Now 2G - New satellites arrive

1,341 posts in this topic

il be trying a 1m satellite in Hamburg on Friday. Will report back with what I pick up

What part of Hamburg are you in? It seems to make a big difference where you are based in Hamburg as it is right on the limit for getting a signal. I'm in north Hamburg and get a reception until between 5pm and 8pm depending on the day and that is with a 90cm. But my dish could probably do with a little bit of fine tuning. Would be interested to hear your results as well.

What part of Hamburg are you in? It seems to make a big difference where you are based in Hamburg as it is right on the limit for getting a signal. I'm in north Hamburg and get a reception until between 5pm and 8pm depending on the day and that is with a 90cm. But my dish could probably do with a little bit of fine tuning. Would be interested to hear your results as well.

hi I am in niendorf. Where are you

So, Either Hamiltonbear is buisy watching TV... or he is trying to console a really pissed off and frustrated satellite bloke!!!  :lol:

Just beside you in Langenhorn

i very nearly moved there when moving over. You can show me around Hamburg sometime ?? I'm only 4 weeks in

So, Either Hamiltonbear is buisy watching TV... or he is trying to console a really pissed off and frustrated satellite bloke!!!  :lol:

even worse he never turned up!!! Nor did the electrician that was moving my internet connection point from the basement. So dodgy wireless signal and no TV for me at all. 

CBS action appears to be on Astra 2E now (11385 H). It is listed on a transponder on the UK beam - which is the beam more tightly focused on the UK that can be difficult to receive in some parts of Europe.

Hey Toytowners!

Can any of you enlightened folks help?

I live near Mittersendling in Munich and intend to buy a flat antenna to watch some good ole Brit TV.

Flat antenna to (hopefully) get around the annoying building maintenance company!

Has anyone used this and if so, is it good to get some SKY UK?

I have the digi box and card which I used in England.

There are so many posts  about Astra, so any Muencheners advice on this is also sought. Has the dust settled on it now?

Thanks people.

Regards,

Jai

Those flat dishes tend to have a small surface area. Not being an expert, I can only assume with all the talk about some folks needing to go for a slightly larger round dish, that a flat dish may not catch enough signal. Here in nrw, I have a large round dish, but i think one of the irish pubs has a flat square dish and they get sky ok. 

Down in the south though, im not sure how ideal it would be to go for a flat dish. Im sure somebody further south will give a better answer.

I think you could be waiting quite a while...

I cant recal ever fitting a selfsat antenna for sky UK..

The majority of Sky channels will work on a small antenna, but its always best to fit a slightly bigger antenna such as a 75cm...

Personally, I dont rate the selfsat... but it does have its place in the market

ok... Thanks SpiderPig, looks like I have to try it and learn the hard way perhaps!

Looking at the gain figures, the Selfsat models appear to be similar to a 60cm dish - well below SpiderPig's recommended 75cm.
The satellites broadcasting UKTV have UK beams and European beams. Where you are, if you do get anything with a Selfsat, it is probably more likely to be from the European beams.

In this list the transponder headers are marked Europe or U.K. so you can see which channels you might be able to get. HD channels tend to break up more than SD channels when signal strength is low.
As far as I can see there are no BBC channels on the European beams but with a Sky UK subscription you might get STV(Scotland) and UTV(Ulster) for ITV content and Channel 4 Ireland. Note that channels have been known to move from European to U.K. beams so the list of available channels could change in the future.

You may be able to get the channels you want via the internet so check the TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite thread too. It was started in 2011 but the last few pages have current information.

BBC going going gone afternoon into evening.

I live just east of of Landsberg and have noticed in the last week BBC1 has been very pixelated from 5 o'clock onwards and its gone  completely before 8 PM.

Dish is just over a meter in size...

Thank you PeterN and Ignore the Hud.

Ignore the Hud are you just getting freeview signals or sky?

OK.. Think I am confused now, because I read somewhere that you get all freeview tv channels with a sky subscription. I thought sky also beamed these..

Anyway, I cannot find a bigger flat antenna and the building company won't let me mount a 1/2 metre one forget a 4metre wide dish!

It was OK untill zen mate started charging for proxy servers too :P

In theory the free to air channels are available through Sky, however since they were nearly all moved to a different satellite a while back, they are only available in areas closer to the UK. Munich is now too far away unless you have an absolutely massive Sat dish. There are still plenty of channels on Sky, but the BBC and ITV channels have all gone. 

... I read somewhere that you get all freeview tv channels with a sky subscription...

Freeview is a terrestrial broadcasting system in in the UK. The free satellite system is known as Freesat and has a different list of channels. It doesn't help that Sky also has a service known as "Freesat from Sky" which isn't the same as "Freesat".

In the UK a reasonably sized dish should be able to receive both UK and European beams so a satellite receiver could show channels from both. That is possible in some parts of Europe
too but, as Alleshausen says, it is much harder to get the UK beam where you are.

The situation has evolved over the last few years. Information that was true at one time may be incorrect now and statements aimed at UK residents may not apply in other locations. So make sure you understand if the information you are reading is still correct and if it applies to your location.

Here's a second source for beam information. On the left of the table each transponder is labelled UK or Europe KU. It also shows when the information was last updated.

Yes PeterN,

There is so much info out there and then a lot of them is outdated as you say!

Thanks for your help though, I'll have to think this out again.

But it's disappointing to say the least that we can't have Brit TV here..