TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,840 posts in this topic

Hi, RockThrust,

I'm using UnoTelly with a TP-Link slave router off my FritzBox.

So just need to enter the relevant details into the TP-Link box.

Here is the trouble: You want the TP-Link to update the IP whenever it changes. However, the TP-Link will never notice a change of IP, as it will always get the same IP from the internal net of the Fritzbox. The only router in your scenario who is aware of a change of the public IP is the Fritzbox. So that is the place where the update has to be done.

Please have a look at this link:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=317602&view=findpost&p=3195737

It is written for overplay+FritzBox, but as Unotelly has the very same thing (a "link" that needs to be queried, it'll look like "h t t p://www.unotelly.com/unodns/auto_auth/hash_update/updateip.php?user_hash=your_token" ), I am quite confident that you'll get that type of update running with unotelly, too.

Cheers

Franklan

I have to update my Unotelly ip address everyday too, but instead of having to do it from my computer I e-mailed the link to myself and just open the email on my smart phone, click on the link in the mail and it updates it from there. It just makes it a little easier. :)

Several ways to make clicking that link easier.

1. Bookmark it in your phone's browser.

2. Make it your phone's browser home-page.

3. Make a phone desktop shortcut to that address (one touch and it'll open the browser to that address).

You really shouldn't need to be digging up the email to find the link.

... You do realisr that 'the network' doesn't just refer to the 10 metres of cable leading up to my house and my LAN don't you?

Of course.

Several ways to make clicking that link easier.

1. Bookmark it in your phone's browser.

2. Make it your phone's browser home-page.

3. Make a phone desktop shortcut to that address (one touch and it'll open the browser to that address).

You really shouldn't need to be digging up the email to find the link.

It's no hassle whatsoever, I don't keep many emails in my phone, so I can select it straight away.

The reason I do not like No-ip.com

Is you have to validate your account every month, and get an email every week, asking you you subscribe.

If you put the one liner into your router ( like It did ), you never have to use no-ip, it makes watching TV easier. But I could never make it work with overplay, unotelly worked straight way.

But I can understand, many people will prefer to do things in deterrent ways, and I accept its no real hardship to use no-ip or click the update_link button on an app. I just like coming in and switching-on the TV, without have to do anything, its more like what I used to have with sat solution.

You don't have to validate it if you use it (which you would every day if it was set up in your router). At least that's the way it was when I was using NO-IP. At the moment I'm using my-fritz after the NO-IP "outage" a while back...never switched it back as I'm too lazy.

Hi,

At the moment I'm using my-fritz after the NO-IP "outage" a while back

Just for the record: The guide how to activate MyFritz (on a FritzBox) as a dynamic DNS is described here:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=317602&view=findpost&p=3180658

Cheers

Franklan

I've just remembered another potentially very expensive disadvantage of choosing to receive rebroadcast "plug & play" IPTV streams via a MAG250, Blade or similar box:

In any situation where a family wishes to have two or more viewing locations (lounge, kitchen, bedroom(s), etc.) the annual fees charged by the providers of said streams will typically double, triple or worse due to the fact that the streams are delivered to a specific box (i.e. to a specific MAC address).

We happen to use two viewing locations...

- Lounge: equipped with a Roku 3 (mainly for iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD catchup and Now TV for F1 live) and an Amazon Fire TV (mainly for Zattoo with its live UK FTA channels and its Recall & Recordings services)

- Kitchen: equipped with a second Amazon Fire TV (mainly for Zattoo with its live UK FTA channels and its Recall & Recordings services)

Had we chosen to go for the "plug & play" IPTV streams via a MAG250 or Blade box, we'd be paying double the streaming provider's ongoing annual fees instead of as now no ongoing fees whatsoever apart from one single approx. €60 annual fee to Zattoo covering reception by an unlimited number of smartphone(s), PCs, laptops, Fire TVs, etc. linked to a named customer, not to each viewing device.

But you also have double the agro if something goes wrong with unotelly or overplay etc...

I would like to appologise to all my IPTV Clients. Last week was a disaster due to server/data center problems. A 5GBP refund will be made to all my clients in the next week or so!. Regards

Actually.. a Full month was refunded...

I forgot about that..

Has unotelly or overplay refunded momey when things went wrong?

Me?

15€ for postage and packaging...

Hi,

1&1 (Double Flat 50000)

OK, and what actual speed is negotiated?

Assuming you use a fritzbox, post this, please:

post-203283-14251200048329_thumb.jpg

Then, 1&1 is not a provider, it is just a reseller, so let's find out who your actual provider is: Post this, please:

post-203283-14251206197673_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Franklan

Connection seems to be quite fine, and your actual provider is Telekom...

Telekom doesn't peer at DE-CIX, but wants to connect to other providers directly, which doesn't work that great. Their performance to some content providers is rather bad once in a while.

Cheers

Franklan