TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,840 posts in this topic

About 40cts per day...

One less Pub Beer a week then..

2 Cigarettes a day less...

One less Pub Beer a week then..

2 Cigarettes a day less...

Basically, IPTV is good for you!

Also, Zattoo only offers the basic UK channels, no regional, sport or movies. That's worth the extra for me.

@Kludgie - just out of interest, does it include Eurosport UK HD (One and Two) and Sky Atlantic HD (aside from FTA, the only pay channels we use)?

RT

Hi,

OK Franklan, thanks. But why dont I just change the DNS settings of the TV device itself?

On some devices, you cannot change the DNS...

ah righto yeah Ill look into chromecast short term to address my cable hatred issues

... and the chromecast is one of them.

As I suggested, having that second router close to the telly (eg. velcroed to the backside of it) gives you an excellent access to the main router via cable (we are talking about one cable!), the telly is attached via cable (into the second router) and the chromecast has a good wlan reception (because you have a second WLAN built into the second router).

Cheers

Franklan

I think Zattoo is terrible myself. I have it running on an android STB, and the stream cuts out a LOT. Maybe it is my Android? Well, similar inconsistency on a Macbook. The browser version on windows runs better...but is far from 100% reliable.

As to the usability of the android app on a STB, well, it is not usable in my opinion. It is built for a touch screen...so on a non-touch TV, you cannot scroll down to get any of the channels without plugging a mouse in (unacceptable) or using a remote app on a touchscreen device to remote control the STB. Frankly, irritating.

People always slate Filmon because..

1 - there are adverts

2 - the stream is not HD

Well, I gave the paid version of filmon a testrun, which gets rid of the ads, and the stream quality is higher. Not had a single problem (yet). Very consistent. In myopinion, it knocks Zatoo into a cocked hat, and does not require any dicking about with VPNs or unotellies or overplays or proxies.

I've also tried the blade box, and for ease of use and consistency of stream, it wins hands down. It is the only solution I have see so far that behaves "like a TV". The onyl reason I do not have one, is because I want everything coming through my android STB.

XBMC on android is the best solution for me. I am sure most of the video content is not "legal", but frankly, why the fuck should I care about that? Like many people, I would HAPPILY pay money for a TV service. I just want to be able to choose what that service is, and currently, I cannot. Instead I am forced to pay GEZ for a shit service that I would never use unless I became some sort of masochist, and wanted to punish myself by watching shitty German telly.

Zattoo is a product that will probably never be able to fulfill what it attempts to deliver, i.e. high quality live streaming over the internet.

They should really abandon the subscription part of their product because even in 'high quality' mode, it is still subject to the limitations imposed by exchanges, junctions and wires that it comes down. I tried it out a while ago, and yes, the quality is good while the network is not busy, but forget trying to watch anything around 7 in the evening, the busiest time of day for the interwebs.

(Cue two or three people saying it's brilliant and they've never had a problem with it)

Clearly it's always going to be a case of different solutions in different environments satisfying different people with different needs and different demands...

- I find Zattoo on the Amazon Fire TV rock solid and the picture quality excellent and I don't mind using a mouse for the sideloaded Recall & Recording version.

- I tried the paid version of FilmOn and found the picture quality on a 50" screen terrible, so asked for and received my money back.

- I find the MAG 250 solutions too expensive long term.

- I tried very hard to live with the clunkiness of XBMC on a Raspberry Pi and on a more powerful dedicated Linux box but in the end gave up.

- I am very satisfied with the Roku 3 with its iPlayer, ITV Player and 4oD catchup and ITV live streams, all free (because we aren't able to pay the licence fee from outside the UK) and there are no ongoing charges at all

- I too think that German TV is generally crap, but being married to a local who enjoys her favourite Quatsch-Sendungen, I'm not unhappy to pay the required fee or tax or whatever it is.

They should really abandon the subscription part of their product because even in 'high quality' mode, it is still subject to the limitations imposed by exchanges, junctions and wires that it comes down. I tried it out a while ago, and yes, the quality is good while the network is not busy, but forget trying to watch anything around 7 in the evening, the busiest time of day for the interwebs.

Surely the same argument could be applied to ANY streaming service that asks for your money? They all rely on the same wires!

Surely the same argument could be applied to ANY streaming service that asks for your money? They all rely on the same wires!

It applies to any streaming service regardless of whether they take your money or not, 4OD and BBC iPlayer both suffer from the same problems, 4OD is pretty much unwatchable on weekday evenings via the app on my Samsung smart TV, but then I don't pay for either of them.

Hence my comment about Zattoo charging for their high quality subscription.

@ Chocky

Your experience with streaming services is so different from mine (currently Telekom VDSL 50 via glass fibre and soon to be upgraded) that you must surely have a problem with your feed.

So Netflix etc. should all pack up shop as well, just because the networks in some countries are lagging behind?

It applies to any streaming service regardless of whether they take your money or not, 4OD and BBC iPlayer both suffer from the same problems, 4OD is pretty much unwatchable on weekday evenings via the app on my Samsung smart TV, but then I don't pay for either of them.

I watch the BBC iplayer on my LG tv using UNOtelly DNS and never have any buffering or quality problems. I only have max. 16mb from Telekom but it quite happily plays all the programmes in HD.

The problem is clearly with your internet connection and not these services. I stream Netflix from the US in ultra HD (4K) without any issues.

@Kludgie - just out of interest, does it include Eurosport UK HD (One and Two) and Sky Atlantic HD (aside from FTA, the only pay channels we use)?

I get all three in SD, sadly not in HD but still not too shabby.

Your experience with streaming services is so different from mine (currently Telekom VDSL 50 via glass fibre and soon to be upgraded) that you must surely have a problem with your feed.

Right, you don't experience any issues therefore it must be a problem with my internet connection. :rolleyes:

So Netflix etc. should all pack up shop as well, just because the networks in some countries are lagging behind?

I also use Netflix without any problems, but I didn't refer to them in my previous post because their service is not subject to the same limitations as services like Zattoo or Filmon.

The problem is clearly with your internet connection and not these services. I stream Netflix from the US in ultra HD (4K) without any issues.

See above.

I watch the BBC iplayer on my LG tv using UNOtelly DNS and never have any buffering or quality problems. I only have max. 16mb from Telekom but it quite happily plays all the programmes in HD.

Actually it's very rare that iPlayer suffers dropouts on our home system either. As far as UK TV goes I only use 4OD and BBC, and network congestion problem only seem to affect 4OD and Zattoo (in my experience)

... quality is good while the network is not busy, but forget trying to watch anything around 7 in the evening, the busiest time of day for the interwebs ...

... you must surely have a problem with your feed.

Right, you don't experience any issues therefore it must be a problem with my internet connection ...

Actually it's very rare that iPlayer suffers dropouts on our home system either. As far as UK TV goes I only use 4OD and BBC, and network congestion problem only seem to affect 4OD and Zattoo (in my experience)

So you can't "watch anything around 7 in the evening, the busiest time of day for the interwebs" yet you have "network congestion" that only affects 4oD and Zattoo. Very odd.

So you can't "watch anything around 7 in the evening, the busiest time of day for the interwebs" yet you have "network congestion" that only affects 4oD and Zattoo. Very odd.

I can't watch 4OD or Zattoo around 7 in the evening, but pretty much all other services, (as far as I know as I don't have time to endlessly flick through channels) work ok around that time.

You do realisr that 'the network' doesn't just refer to the 10 metres of cable leading up to my house and my LAN don't you?

You do realisr that 'the network' doesn't just refer to the 10 metres of cable leading up to my house and my LAN don't you?

Who's your provider?

To change the subject a bit...

I'm using UnoTelly with a TP-Link slave router off my FritzBox. I then have a NowTV box for catch-up and a Windows PC for browser-based live FTA TV. Works OK'ish except have to keep renewing the IP address every day through the PC. UnoTelly said you can use Automatic IP updating. So just need to enter the relevant details into the TP-Link box.

I prefer not to use No-IP (as they propose). I actually have a domain name (held with 1&1) and I can add a sub-domain to this. Could I use a sub-domain for the automatic updating?

And ... does UnoTelly Automatic IP address update service actually work?

RT