TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,837 posts in this topic

I used to have problems watching stuff on Amazon DE with Overplay, but as I also had their VPN service would just use a German VPN to get round it. However, that problem went away a few weeks ago and now I only use Smart DNS.

ovbg white-knigthing Overplay is not a surprise.

Overplay has only ONE region selector for and they refuse to implement per-service selector like other providers. i.e. UnoTelly. So if you want to watch Netflix US and Amazon DE at the same time it is not possible.

P.S., Actually they implemented the support for Amazon DE following the Netflix selector after I complained about it for months. It was implemented by a developer, I think called Denis, or something like that, I was doing the testing for him. Unfortunately that developer quited Overplay a few weeks later and different selectors never saw the day. He was the only person in Overplay who cared about my complaints. I continued bugging them about it until I thought it was not worth and moved to Unotelly.

Well Krieg, on post 1839 you say OverPlay don't support Amazon DE, but on post 1842 you say they do? Which one is it?

To be honest, it is not as black and white as you make out. The UnoTelly system of a billion dials and settings is perceived by many to be rather confusing - especially the way they configure it.

No system is perfect. Hell, if UnoTelly support all the Amazon Primes like OverPlay but with a system you prefer, just switch to them. For my household, one dial generally speaking does the job as we don't have people watching different TVs at the same time.

I have never read this thread in its entirety though I have read quite a bit of it but the number of hoops that you need to jump through and the amount of technical jiggery pokery knowledge required to get TV from the UK just seems so overwhelming for most of us mere mortals that I just couldn't be bothered with it. I prefer my technology to just be plug and play i.e. plug it in and it works. I am aware there are solutions that accomplish that but when I have Kabel English channels that I pay for and never watch it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to splash out on those either. I admit to watching Filmon once in a blue moon but that doesn't cost me a bean.

I just feel that this ovbg guy, whether he gets a kick back from Overplay or not, puts a lot effort into answering the questions of mere Luddites like myself and makes it as simple and as straightforward to watch TV, without spending an arm and a leg or having the technical knowledge of some IT guru. I think he does a good job to be fair to him.

Hey thanks topcat! That just made my morning :) Seriously... thanks!

Well Krieg, on post 1839 you say OverPlay don't support Amazon DE, but on post 1842 you say they do? Which one is it?

To be honest, it is not as black and white as you make out. The UnoTelly system of a billion dials and settings is perceived by many to be rather confusing - especially the way they configure it.

No system is perfect. Hell, if UnoTelly support all the Amazon Primes like OverPlay but with a system you prefer, just switch to them. For my household, one dial generally speaking does the job as we don't have people watching different TVs at the same time.

Until last summer Overplay only supported Amazon USA. It was after months of bugging them that they implemented that the Netflix selector configures as well Amazon. But this is useless for people living in Germany like us, because if I want to watch Amazon DE I will have to put the Netflix selector in DE, which is the same as having no SmartDNS at all.

It is not even about watching simultaneous streams (i.e. Netflix USA & Amazon DE), it is a pain in the butt even if you have only one device at the same time, because when you change the selector the clients do not get immediately redirected to the new country because many devices implement DNS caching, so you have to either wait some time or flush the DNS or reboot the client and maybe the router. Some deviced like TVs are a real pain because you have to switch them off and unplug them for like 30 seconds in order to do a real reboot.

Plus it defeats the whole point of having an "automatic" setup running in the router and activating everything by itself, which is the target of families with techno-handicapped members or even small kids. I can't tell my kids, hey, remember to login in Overplay and change the locator and reboot the router and the TV ... because they can't even read properly.

We know you work for Overplay, so it is understandable you will defend them. But if they were serious about customer support, they could implement a "simple" and an "advanced" configuration and beat most providers.

Huh? A quick glance at the eyeondemand com website will reveal that if ovbg "works for" OverPlay, then he also "works for" Unblockus, NOW TV and IPVanish.

You are both correct. The website was always heaviliy (99%) skewed towards supporting Overplay for ad revenue, and now has click ads showing more services...so ovbg has wisely broadened his advertising income to appear less biased.

I think that is a much better state of affairs.

whether he gets a kick back from Overplay or not

He does. But it costs us nothing as it is the suppliers that pay the kickbacks, so no loss for us. My only issue in the past has been some lack of honesty about the situation....unlike others on this thread he has a financial incentive to be answering questions....he is not *just* being a lovely charitable chap.

Hi,

it is a pain in the butt even if you have only one device at the same time, because when you change the selector the clients do not get immediately redirected to the new country because many devices implement DNS caching, so you have to either wait some time or flush the DNS or reboot the client and maybe the router. Some deviced like TVs are a real pain because you have to switch them off and unplug them for like 30 seconds in order to do a real reboot.

You (as a SmartDNS provider) have to make a fundamental design decision here: Are my SmartDNS-Servers static (aka "I am giving all my customers the same answers") or are my SmartDNS-Servers dynamic (aka "I answer depending on who is asking with what current setting".)

The later is implemented by unotelly, that is their decision, but this decision opens a nasty can of worms, as you describe it. Overplay has made the decision that a full fledged customer based dynamic DNS-Server provokes more problems than it solves problems, I have to assume.

The current "dash board" of unotelly is impressive, but I have to suspect that it scares more people away than it helps in gaining new customers due to its "superiority" over other SmartDNS providers.

But if they were serious about customer support, they could implement a "simple" and an "advanced" configuration and beat most providers.

Let's do a little calculation here: Let's assume there are 500 people who are willing to become new overplay customers for $5/month if overplay has full fledged dynamic DNS handling: That's 500*$5=$2500 per month; you cannot hire a developer for the core technology, the web designer for the user interface, the technical writer who does the FAQ section, and the guy who coaches the support team for that kind of money.

I have to conclude that unotelly is the better provider for you, Krieg, due to its enormous dashboard. For others, overplay might be better due to its simplicity. The problem that you want great configurability and great usability for your little ones cannot be solved by one single provider, IMHO.

Cheers

Franklan

I am quite happy with Unotelly as a SmartDNS provider, the configuration is not that more complicated than Overplay, you only have to select the services you use and choose the country and that's it. It is not like you have to configure the gazillion services they support if you are not going to use them. So if you want Netflix+Amazon it is two things you have to configure vs one.

However I recently tried to converge my SmartDNS and VPN provider into one single point, being that Unotelly because the difference between the 1 year SmartDNS plan and 1 year SmartDNS+VPN plan is only like $12. That was a total failure, their VPN service was horrible and extremely slow and kept dropping and their customer service was frustrating. So I had to go back to my original VPN provider who I personally think it is very good (AirVPN).

Overplay and Unotelly have the same problem many companies have nowadays, they might come with a solid product but they lack in service. If you have very basic problems that fall into their support script they can help you but if you come with a more complicated issue you are in for disappointment.

Hi,

the 1 year [..]is only like $12.[..]VPN service was horrible[..]customer service was frustrating

What kind of service and support do you expect from a provider for a product that costs $1 a month?

Cheers

Franklan

At least something that works. And it is not that the VPN service costs $1 a month, it is the difference between the simple and the combo package. You can't buy the VPN alone for $1 a month.

But, yes, it is all my fault, I see.

Hi,

here comes something very interesting, an article of the German computer magazine C't about Netflix's plans for the German Netflix:

http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Hinter-den-Kulissen-von-Netflix-2304264.html

Here comes the interesting part:

Zu den großen Schwachstellen, die Netflix bei den etablierten deutschen Diensten ausgemacht haben

will, gehört der Umgang mit englischsprachigen Produktionen, die nicht immer in der Originalfassung

abrufbar sind – und praktisch nie mit Untertiteln. Hier will der US-Dienst ansetzen: "Englischsprachige

Produktion wird man stets in der Originalfassung anschauen können, wahlweise mit ein- und abschaltbaren

englischen und deutschen Untertiteln", versichert Hastings. Auch Mehrkanalton sei generell bei allen

Sprachfassungen selbstverständlich.

Rough translation: Content that has originally been produced in English will be available in German and in English on Netflix Germany.

Cheers

Franklan

Hi, sorry for spamming but it is on topic - I got a Now TV box from the UK which I don't think I will end up using after all. I will sell it for €15 including postage - send me a message.

I haven't been following this thread for a few months, just popped back to report some info I just discovered.

FilmOn has a News/Blog page where they announce stuff (like the recent termination of the free DVR service):

http://support.111pix.com/index.php?/Default/News/List

Also, according to this page, they're working on a Samsung app. It's mentioned in the fourth reply made by Liliya in the comments section.

Anybody else having problems with their smart tv apps? I have a Samsung smart tv, I use overplay and have only apps from the UK in my smart hub, up until yesterday everything was working fine, but today neither BBC iplayer nor ITV player will work. Itv iplayer opens but when I try to play something it says there's a problem with playing my program. BBC iplayer doesn't even load. Netflix app only opens in the German region even though I use a DNS server for the UK and have chosen the UK region via the overplay app. I checked my DNS server settings and they are set to 'manual', also it has the correct DNS address overplay recommends to use. The only thing I see different is that the IP address shown on the network settings is a different one from the IP address shown in my iPad and iPhone, is this relevant? Any ideas as to what the problem is? iPad has the same DNS server given by overplay, yet BBCiplayer and all the others work fine on the iPad.

Spoke with support at overplay this morning for the same reason and they are aware of it and gave no ETA when the problem would be solved.

I only had a problem with the BBC iplayer on my TV's and can't access the Beeb website using SmartDNS from my laptop. All is working over the VPN and direct over my main router.

Edit: Just checked and everything except the BBC iplayer works, ITV, 4OD, Netflix (set to US) all work fine over Smartdns.

I can confirm it's now back up and running.

Good luck Wales and England, may the best team win.