TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,837 posts in this topic

Zattoo works very well when sideloaded onto the AFTV - as long as you have a wireless mouse, since it really doesn't work with the normal remote. (but that costs about 5€ anyway).

The sideloaded version of Zattoo has more features than the native one, as it has the full Zattoo Recall & Recording (missing on the native app since Germany doesn't have those Zattoo features).

While Zattoo sideloads really well, not everything else does. You would never want to sideload Netflix for instance, as most Android streaming apps only provide a really low quality stream - fine for a small mobile device, but not so good for big TVs. Thankfully the AFTV has a native version of Netflix which is great.

Also, I am not overly impressed with ITV Player and the BBC Player on the AFTV, as they just don't work so well on a UI they were not designed for (as well as poor video). 4oD won't even move across, probably as it turns its back on devices it deems as rooted (which is anything really that is not a proper mobile phone or tablet).

But... Zattoo is one of the good ones for sideloading.

Comedy Central has an app now for android with chromecast support. Although I have smartdns setup on the router, and the google dns blocked, it fails to play. I wonder if anyhow here has tried it with success or failure? Other geoblocked chromecast apps like iplayer and zattoo works.

What is "side loading" ?

To install apps in an Android device from an installation file instead of using any "store". Similar to how you install programs in Windows using a "setup.exe".

Comedy Central has an app now for android with chromecast support. Although I have smartdns setup on the router, and the google dns blocked, it fails to play. I wonder if anyhow here has tried it with success or failure? Other geoblocked chromecast apps like iplayer and zattoo works.

This is down to service support. It seems your Smart DNS provider does not yet support Comedy Central via Chromecast. (support is not just based on the service itself, but also sometimes by platform as well).

The lack of support could be down to a number of factors, but usually it is that not enough people have requested it. Contact your Smart DNS supplier and add your voice. Even then, it could still sit in the "development tunnel" for a while unless of course a lot of people are requesting it.

Interestingly enough, Comedy Central over Chromecast seems to be working via Unblock-US. You could use this as leverage.

Curses . . . I'm not a happy bunny . . . Just as I complete my tests of the Amazon Fire TV, the native German "Zattoo" app and the sideloaded Swiss "Zattoo TV" (see post 1813 above) and judging the end results to be "brilliant", I decide to order my second Fire TV box for the kitchen TV only to find that the price is no longer €84 but has gone back up to the original €99 . . . how I regret not having had enough faith in the project to have ordered two boxes at once a fortnight ago!

Maybe wait until the FireTV Stick is out - will be a lot cheaper (sideloadability is unclear).

post-93150-14212355060448_thumb.jpg

US release next month, Europe...?

If you're going to kick yourself about 15 euros, feel free to kick yourself even harder knowing that when the Fire TV came out they were selling for a special price of 49 euros!

Maybe wait until the FireTV Stick is out - will be a lot cheaper (sideloadability is unclear). US release next month, Europe...?

Thanks, but the Fire TV Stick is WiFi only - against my religion when streaming.

I know nothing about these things but there seem to be a lot of Amazon Fire Box thingies for sale on ebay.de.

You're right, fraufruit, and I'll be keeping my eye on 'em and might bid during the final minutes. Trouble with eBay bidders is that they often bid way too high, even up to and beyond shop prices

(EDIT) For example, with just 5 hours to go, a couple of Fire TV boxes are already being bid-for at around €85 inc. Versand - far too high to buy with no returns and no guarantee from the private seller

If you're going to kick yourself about 15 euros, feel free to kick yourself even harder knowing that when the Fire TV came out they were selling for a special price of 49 euros!

Nah, I wasn't ready then and ovbg didn't publish his How To: Sideload Android Apps To Amazon Fire TV until end of December!

Just a note about the AFTV Stick;

When it does officially launch in Germany, don't be too surprised to see it on special for Prime subscribers for around €20 or so. This will likely last only a week or two.

I have one whacked into the back of my test telly right now, and I can confirm that as of 14th January, there are no German or UK apps officially working for it, although through sweat and tears, I managed to get the native Zattoo app on to it.

The chances this will start changing just before it officially launches here, and I expect both sideloading capability as well as multi-region - but that is only because there is no evidence this device will not offer this.

It is noticeably not as swift as the more expensive box, but only because I have got used to the STB model - if you just buy this stick, you won't notice any major issues.

The remote is also not as well made (construction quality) and misses voice-search, which I'll be honest - not only does it work, even after I've had 3/4 of a bottle of red wine, but I really miss it. There is an iOS and Android app to replicated it, but that's pants in comparison.

When will it launch? No idea, although I suspect I will start seeing apps appearing on my stick before it does, so I'll let everyone know.

You may want to consider this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/intel-compute-stick/

Basically, quad-core Atom, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, Windows 8. In theory, one could attach a USB hub where to plug in all sorts of stuff.

149 USD when it launches (apparently also a Linux version with 1 GB RAM for 99 USD), but gives a lot of flexibility.

Back in 2012 I used to access iPlayer via a mini PC based on the Intel dual-core Atom using Win7 mounted on the back of the TV but it was expensive and its performance poor. I was glad to get rid of it!

It's a mixed bag these windows mini-PC's or in the case of this device, an HDMI stick.

On one hand, you can get access to the widest range of streaming services. Nearly all have a Windows browser portal, and of course there is no issue mixing sites from different countries.

On the other hand, the UI is designed for a desk environment, and no amount of magic-mouse or wireless mouse can make this comfortable on a sofa - the UI is just not designed for the 10foot environment. Then you have virus issues to take care of (something not considered for most STBs), and general Windows maintenance.

As an HDMI portable Windows PC though, it is great, and I'll be grabbing one so I always have a test Windows box on hand.

If yo uwant to have the Win Pc as a dedicated media server there are ways to make it more convenient :

F.Ex http://mymediaexperience.com/windows-8-xbmc-appliance/

After my unhappy mini PC period I next moved to a couple of Raspberry Pi with XBMC, then swopped these for a couple of Linux-based XBMC STBs as my only means of accessing live BBC TV. I initially thought the miniscule power of the RPi was to blame, hence I went over to Linux boxes, but I ultimately found XBMC even on these remained disappointingly far too clunky.

My new FireTV + Zattoo world is a very comfortable place by comparison!

I am very happy currently with the Fire TV + Kodi 14.0 and the Amazon Prime membership.

If yo uwant to have the Win Pc as a dedicated media server there are ways to make it more convenient :

F.Ex http://mymediaexperi...xbmc-appliance/

True, but XBMC, although good for streaming local content, is extremely limited with on-demand and catch-up. Yes, there are plug-ins that can stream certain services, but they are rarely official and tend to be full of bugs, potholes or quite simply don't work.

Hi,

I just found out that the SmartDNS provider Overplay redirects accesses to www.amazon.co.uk over one of its servers. I am not sure for what content that is done for, however, it makes me frown a little bit... After all, a danger of DNS redirection lies in the fact that anything you enter (like passwords and credit card details) is redirected to a third party (in this case Overplay) without you even noticing.

Using Overplay's DNS servers, www.amazon.co.uk is resolved to 176.67.83.100, which is not the real address of Amazon UK, but is an IP address belonging to overplay. This is a little bit spooky. Especially since this address appears to be located in Ireland, USA or Netherlands, depending what Geolocation lookup service you use... Very strange... A traceroute to that IP however shows the packets being routed to the USA. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Let me point out that www.amazon.de and www.amazon.com are not redirected by said company...

Cheers

Franklan

The reason I cancelled my Overplay subscription was precisely their bad Amazon Instant Video support. They only supported Amazon UK, so I was not able to watch Amazon DE when Overplay was active. Funny enough, they never understood why that was a problem.

I'm not sure what you are seeing Franklan, but I suspect it is just the way OverPlay manage Amazon Prime. It apparently is quite difficult because the UK one conflicts with Amazon Prime Germany.

OverPlay support all three Amazon Prime services, and I believe they are the only ones to do so (probably because of the difficulties involved). The problem as far as I know is the German and UK ones which were originally LoveFilm and share certain servers, but not accounts.

In order to use Amazon Prime UK or DE, you need to switch the locale selector to either the UK or Germany. This is not the case for the US since that was never anything to do with Lovefilm.