TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,837 posts in this topic

Is Zattoo just acting up for me at the moment (desktop version and android app stuttering right now)?

I'm on 1&1 (resold Telekom VDSL50). Was perfect last night and I'm off sick today and wanted to flake out on the couch and watch some TV...

I'm seeing that as well.

Zattoo has dropped to poor quality on all tested platform via multiple Smart DNS services - so it doesn't seem to be Smart DNS causing the problem.

Also, all my VPN servers in Switzerland are incredibly poor right now, regardless of which one I am using.

Finally, if I do a speed test to Switzerland, some destinations are working fine, but others have dropped to a snails pace - and this is without VPN.

I am thinking that there may be something down with a pipe to the country, or perhaps some infrastructure problem.

Thanks for the detailed heads up ovbg. Sounds like it is a much higher level problem and possibly nothing to do with Zattoo at all.

BTW, according to this article, Netflix is not blocking VPN's.

“The claims that we have changed our policy on VPN are false,” Netflix’s chief product officer Neil Hunt said at CES 2015.

“People who are using a VPN to access our service from outside of the area will find that it still works exactly as it has always done.”

As for the Netflix Android app update, which blocked VPN access for some users, igniting spirits a few days ago, Netflix said that it simply wanted to add a “failsafe” to its Android app to make sure users whose DNS provider isn’t reliable can still access the service.

“It’s not intended to steer people away from VPN, it’s intended to make the application more robust when your own DNS provider is failing,” Hunt said on the matter.

Another article concerning "vpn and Netflix":

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30726631

Cheers

Franklan

Hi,

OK cheers Noel/murphaph. I will follow this plan and make sure to check with KD first.

Make sure you get a written statement about IPV4 before signing with KD.

How large is the flat/house, concrete/steel enforced walls? Depending on that you need a router with good/strong wlan.

Do you have the need to copy large files from on PC to another PC? Then going for a more expensive router that supports Gbit on its ethernet ports might be a good idea (all the cheap solutions here do only have MBit ethernet).

Is the TV far away from the position of the router and do you plan to use WLAN? A bad WLAN connection to the Telly isn't really goving a good experience.

This are all facts that need to be considered to figure out the right hardware.

Cheers

Franklan

Zattoo quality remained down last night and early this morning, but at some stage all became normalized. I'm seeing the full quality streams on all platforms again.

This issue only affected some German users accessing the Swiss service of Zattoo (either via Smart DNS or VPN), and it wasn't related to Smart DNS or VPN as all of them were affected. In fact, traffic to various nodes in Switzerland from Germany was severely crippled until this morning, and this indicated there was some sort of infrastructure problem.

To be honest, it was a pity it repaired itself when it did, as I think I had just found a solution that would work when this happens again, but I can't really test it now as there is no perceivable difference between the work-around and the current well-performing feed.

If anyone sees this happening again, send me a private message or email me, and if I am available, I'll start testing my work-around again.

I suspect that a node somewhere in Germany has perhaps hardware issues that return every now and again.

Hey Franklan. Sure, I will make sure to get it in writing from KD.

How large is the flat/house, concrete/steel enforced walls? Depending on that you need a router with good/strong wlan.

Not big, 50 square meters flat, concrete walls. But we will hopefully be moving to a bigger place soon so it's hard to say I guess.

Do you have the need to copy large files from on PC to another PC? Then going for a more expensive router that supports Gbit on its ethernet ports might be a good idea (all the cheap solutions here do only have MBit ethernet).

Nope, don't need that. I would say I don't need anything "fancy", just the ability to set up smartdns and provide a decent signal.

Is the TV far away from the position of the router and do you plan to use WLAN? A bad WLAN connection to the Telly isn't really goving a good experience.

At this moment I don't have a smart TV. I use a barebones PC and a PS3 connected to the TV and my android phone all over. All wireless. The router is right next to the PC and PS3 and seems to work great, no problems with quality (Netflix, BBC etc). But once I get to the bedroom my phone and laptop struggle to get a decent connection.

Cheers for the help

i'll second SpiderPig suggestion. I use TP-Link things to directly connect my TV to the internet and the Wi-Fi booster for my phone and they work superbly.

Looking for a bit of advice, mildly tied into the topic at hand. I'm gonna change internet provider from 1&1 to Kabel Deutschland. The 1&1 connection and service has been sketchy at best, but it was easy to set up smart dns on their free router which has worked very nicely. Apart from that though the free router is rubbish and provides very weak coverage...barely reaches our bedroom about 10m away from the router. My question is which router setup to go for?

KD routers

1) Take the €2 a month wireless router from KD. Does it have a good range? Easy to set up Smart DNS?

2) Take the €5 a month fritzbox from KD. Is it worth it?

3) Take the free non-wireless router from KD, buy own wireless router and stick that after it. Does that work? Worth it?

Cheers for the help.

Hi Gman,

as I have been to both cases 1 and 2, the following might help.

I had the Wireless router from KD (Hitron). I was satisfied with the speed and stability (no weird restarts , lost connections, and speed on f.ex Saturday evening was between 65-85 Mbits from the 100Mbit Package I had, upload was always at 6 Mbit like promised). But it is becoming very difficult to change to Ipv4 (you can search on their Kundenservice forum many threads about the issue).

I switched to Fritzbox 6490. No problems with Ipv4. Wlan coverage is way better ( WLAN-Standard 11ac) and this is an average speedtest for a Saturday :

post-105334-14210561656889.png

Of course the final speed you will get depends on many factors, for me the increase from the previosu router is more than significant.

In general I am very satisfied with KD, but there are also horror cases (like pretty much any provider).

Cheers,

Alex

Spidey, Allershausen thanks for the info. I would consider that solution if we move to a bigger place, but for now I think a half decent router should be able to accomadate our small flat.

Alexnf, I have written to KD and await their response. I'll post their answer here when I get it. Reliability is what i'm hoping for. 1&1 have not been good in that respect for us, hence the change. But what do you mean when you say "I switched to Fritzbox 6490. No problems with Ipv4". I am reasonably lost technically at this point but from what I understand KD will provide "dual stack IPv4/IPv6", so does that mean you can "select" IPv4 from the router itself or something?

From KD website:

Kabel Deutschland verwendet bereits in vielen Anschlussgebieten IPv6 parallel zu IPv4. Hierzu kommen in der Übergangszeit bis zur endgültigen Umstellung auf IPv6 bei Kabel Deutschland zwei verschiedene Hybridverfahren zum Einsatz.

1. Dual Stack

kommt bei allen Kunden mit der Homebox Fritz!Box 6360 zum Einsatz.

Kunden erhalten sowohl eine IPv4 als auch eine IPv6 Adresse.

2. Dual-Stack Lite (DS-Lite)

Kommt bei allen Kunden mit WLAN-Kabelrouter und Homebox Fritz!Box 6490 zum Einsatz.

Kunden erhalten nur eine IPv6 Adresse

Eventuell beim surfen benötigte IPv4-Adressen werden automatisch über einen CGN-Server bezogen.

Bei Verbindungsproblemen, die möglicherweise auf die Verwendung einer IPv6-Adresse zurückzuführen ist, kontaktieren Sie uns bitte über die unten angegebenen Kontaktmöglichkeiten. Wir helfen Ihnen gerne!

Für Ihre Anfrage benötigen wir Ihre Mithilfe. Bitte rufen Sie uns an, damit wir eventuelle Rückfragen direkt mit Ihnen klären können.

My one and only beef with Zattoo ... is that they seem allergic to set top boxes with recall. We've gone through the theories but at the end of the day their big competitor in CH (Wilmaa) has its own STB with full recall service and that is what's missing from Zattoo. On other counts Zattoo wipes the floor with Wilmaa IMO, it's just that annoying lack of recall on a STB. They are missing RTE as well (because RTE can't be received in the clear in CH so legally it's a no no) but RTE is mostly crap anyway.

With reference to murphaph's post quoted above, to ovbg's post 748 and to Alexnf's post 1751 in this thread, I went ahead with my plan to buy a Fire TV box from Amazon & sideload the Swiss Zattoo app 1.7.6 (270) and, after several hiccups caused by the box registering itself incorrectly to an old, long unused Amazon.com account of mine instead of to my active account at Amazon.de, I'm now enjoying the UK FTA channels not only live, but also in Recall mode (i.e. watching programmes up to one week old held on Zattoo's servers) plus the option of "Recording" future live transmissions (on Zattoo's servers) as soon as they are broadcast.

Only time will tell as to how reliable the Zattoo service will be, but it'll be a great relief for me to get away from XBMC as my only source of live BBC channels - I find it far too clunky and hate its constant buffering.

Just for the record I'd like to thank ovbg for his Android-based and Alexnf for his Windows-based method of sideloading the Swiss app onto the AFTV. As a complete amateur in such things, I found them both ultimately pretty easy to use!

Thanks to ovbg also for his helpful advice on resolving my Amazon.com versus Amazon.de problems! (Let your Amazon Fire TV latch onto the wrong one and you'll end up with all-American apps and no German apps on your AFTV as did I.)

What I find strange is that AB has always said that he isnt bothered about BBC etc.. ONLY Forumar1...

Now I doubt that F1 is available over AFTV...

Having invested dozens or hundreds of Euro in VPLs... DNS.. UnoTV and The other one..

I feel the topic is coming back to the original Question... How do I get The BBC back!!!

Yes.. I have had a drink or 7...

What I find strange is that AB has always said that he isnt bothered about BBC etc.. ONLY Forumar1 ...

This statement is absolutely incorrect, but I'm not about to waste my time researching all my posts to prove it.

... Now I doubt that F1 is available over AFTV ...

Wrong again. Whenever the BBC transmits an F1 race, that race will be available live on BBC1 via the Zattoo app on the AFTV. Also, Sky's Now TV app can be sideloaded onto the AFTV enabling every F1 race to be viewed live and free of ads for about £7. (But in my case I have the Now TV app sitting natively on my Roku 3)

... Having invested dozens or hundreds of Euro in VPLs... DNS.. UnoTV and The other one ...

Clearly another subliminal advertisement for SP's rather expensive IPTV offering.

Four words, but will probably result in 40 posts...

I'd say loading a software application to a device in a way that is not officially supported for normal consumer use by the supplier.

RT

What is "side loading" ?

Fire TV gives you the option to enable a debugging mode and also install 3rd party .apk (android package files).

By installing an app on your phone or installing ADB (Android Bridge) on your Computer

you can install these packages on your Fire TV.

This gives you the opportunity to install applications that are not included in the Amazon's App Store.

This method of installing the packages is called sideloading.

Most common sideloaded applications on Fire TV are : kodi/xbmc , web browsers, console emulators and others.

Cheers,

Alex

As an expert on sideloading with experience stretching back to three days ago, sideloading is a Good Thing in that it doesn't require anything to be done to a device that might render its warranty void, as would rooting for example, a very Bad Thing of which I know nothing whatsoever...