TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,808 posts in this topic

Tried Mozilla Chrome etc. With vyper. No Joy pile of crap wont be trying anymore life is too Short and i can get all this via satellite anyway

Well as you can clearly see above it does work, so the problems are on your side. Figure'em out and try again.

There could be some other things causing this Welshman, perhaps your timezone needs to be UK, or the region of your computer needs to be UK. I believe TV-catchup checks for this. Perhaps also Sky just started this as well, doing a check to make sure the timezone and region was set to the UK.

we signed up for a month's free trial of Watchever.

seems to be similar to Netflix.

lots of British series, in original version as well as movies. kids's stuff seems good too, and in English :)

we did have all channels last night, including Channel 5.

There's an interesting article in today's Sunday Times about content provision from the BBC via iPlayer and the way the market is developing quickly. From next month BBC will launch three film shorts, exclusive to iPlayer, the first time any drama has been specifically commissioned for the service. They already supplement broadcast material with associated content unique to iPlayer (Doctor Who "minisodes" for example) Significantly BBC management appear to be focussing on iPlayer as the way ahead, having invested tremendous amounts of money to bring a quality and refined TVoIP product to many different platforms. They see it as a media to target new (especially young) audiences, as well as a vehicle to provide flexible on-demand viewing content. At the moment iPlayer only reaches 25% of the UK population, but it is a stated goal to achieve a 75% reach and be a primary method of accessing BBC content rather than third choice as it is now (after broadcast and off-line media such as DVD). There is also discussion about changing peoples viewing habits to be less driven by schedules and more by what people specifically want to watch, whenever they want to watch it, not only at home, but when under way too. They cite a 20% increase, year-on-year in requests for content, with research showing that 49% of visitors come to the service without anything in mind to watch, a third of whom are looking for something new.

Thanks for this.

Zenmate works really well, I tried Hola but never had any success.

- I can even watch the iplayer at work - top gear I think.

Amazon Prime Instant Video will start streaming in Germany in 2 days. Not sure if the movies and TV series will include original language or everything will be in German though.

Lovefilm DE was mainly in dubbed German, but Amazon Prime Instant Video have plans to provide a lot more content in original versions - as they describe it... following a recent trend.

If you sign up to the German Amazon Prime service now (before the 26th) you only pay €29 for the whole year, which is a significant discount. This includes access to all the films and TV shows, as well as free next day delivery on Amazon products and one free book a month on their Kindle library - although that is restricted to Kindle platforms and very restricted in what books can be accessed - the better deal really is the free one day delivery and TV shows.

If you do own a Kindle fire, you can also download many of the titles for offline viewing.

Watchever, as Moonboot pointed out, is quite a good alternative. Here you also get loads of films and TV shows in the original version, and you also have the ability to download content for offline viewing on your iPad, iPhone or selected Android devices. Great for people who commute or travel a lot.

I still prefer Netflix for content over Watchever, but Watchever does have a small amount of HBO content, not available on Netflix or Hulu.

Expect a big promotion from the German streaming services over the next few weeks as Netflix is rumoured to finally reach Germany, and when it does, the existing guys will not want it to get a foothold.

wow loads of info ovbg!

yeah for the moment we are happy with Watchever (the first month is free anyhow) and recordable freeview during the day.

we will wait to see how things develop.

certainly not planning bigger and better satellite dishes for now, will let things settle first.

I cancelled Watchever a few days ago in anticipation of Amazon's offering, being a Prime subscriber already. I have had a look again at Lovefilm's offering (which I presume is what Amazon Prime will offer) and am sceptical that there will be much OV (original version i.e. language) content, but hope they surprise me. When I originally tested Lovefilm a few months ago, there was precious little OV content.

In the meantime, watchever contacted me and offered me 2 months for the price of 1 íf I signed back up. So I did. Jubly.

http://www.watchever.de/

most of the British series seem available in OV. also the HBO stuff.

and the movies too.

the month of free testing is immediately cancel-able as is any monthly subscription at any time so they state.

coo that is ace UJ, 2 for 1 :)

If you sign up to the German Amazon Prime service now (before the 26th) you only pay €29 for the whole year, which is a significant discount. This includes access to all the films and TV shows, as well as free next day delivery on Amazon products and one free book a month on their Kindle library - although that is restricted to Kindle platforms and very restricted in what books can be accessed - the better deal really is the free one day delivery and TV shows.

In our case the one day delivery does not really make an impact in Berlin, the timing is more or less the same with or without Amazon Prime. For me the reason to subscribe is getting free delivery for orders under 20 EUR.

I wonder how much will cost the Prime subscription now that they introduced the Instant Video, I hope it stays the same.

The price of Prime after the 26th Feb will go up to €49 per year. This won't affect existing customers until their current subscription rolls over.

Thanks for this.

Zenmate works really well, I tried Hola but never had any success.

- I can even watch the iplayer at work - top gear I think.

Thanks, littleirwin, valuable information for this computer illiterate ex-pat.

No problem, it was recommeneded by a friend in Berlin who knows the developers. So far it has been flawless for me.