TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,837 posts in this topic

In their response, FilmOn simply told me to make sure I'm logged on to my FilmOn account via the Roku 3 (which I am), so I've asked for a refund since their "HD" is so poor.

Just for the record, FilmOn refunded my money after I'd moaned about the abysmal quality of their "HD" streams.

Hi,

it appears as if Netflix is trying to spoil the SmartDNS experience by hardcoding Google's DNS into their apps, too (sorry, German content):

http://www.golem.de/news/geolock-netflix-erschwert-nutzung-von-vpns-durch-feste-dns-1412-111358.html

So, another App where the blocking or redirecting of the google servers is necessary (Cannot confirm, untested, as I do not use Netflix).

This is an answer by one SmartDNS provider (in English): http://help.unotelly.com/support/articles/199318-netflix-3-7-2-not-working-on-android

This is worth to be read, too, sony is p*ssed because some content providers do not enforce georestriction (and it is in english):

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/sony-pictures-mad-at-netflixs-failure-to-block-overseas-vpn-users/

Cheers

Franklan

Interesting read franklan. I suspect Sony will reap what they sow with this though. The harder they make it for people to pay for the content they want the more likely people are to watch it for free.

I think the oatmeal nailed it with this comic about watching Game of Thrones.

Franklan

works on Samsung Note 2 (Android)using Netflix version 3.9.1 both over the TP Link as the DNS router as per your post in this thread and with the DNS server numbers input direct to the phone over the main router.

Just a hunch, is this an isolated incident relating to Unotelly only, the 1st link you posted was dated Oct 2014?

Given that I think a lot on TT do use Overplay and along with OVBG's input I'm sure we would of heard something from them by now.

Might be a little bit OT, but:

By all means, setting things up to watch international TV is quite some work, but usually it is worth the hassle.

However, Top Gear's "Patagonia Special" was a huge disappointment, TBH. Looking back, it wasn't worth spending the time watching it.

Cheers

Franklan

I don't see the point of your post, franklan, especially not here in this essentially technical thread.

Perhaps you meant it to go into "The Vent" or "What's got you flummoxed today?" threads or a new one, perhaps along the lines of the "German TV is horrible" thread but entitled "Even BBC TV can be disappointing"?

Franklan

works on Samsung Note 2 (Android)using Netflix version 3.9.1 both over the TP Link as the DNS router as per your post in this thread and with the DNS server numbers input direct to the phone over the main router.

Just a hunch, is this an isolated incident relating to Unotelly only, the 1st link you posted was dated Oct 2014?

Given that I think a lot on TT do use Overplay and along with OVBG's input I'm sure we would of heard something from them by now.

This is an issue with all Smart DNS setups when watching Netflix on an Android device. Since Netflix on Android has such a poor video quality anyway, few people tend to use it on this platform. If it works on your device, and if you have set up your router for blocking Google's DNS servers, then this could be the reason for the success, otherwise I don't really know.

No other platforms are currently affected. Apparently, it is possible to bypass this by doing the same thing for Chromecast on the home router, i.e. redirecting or blocking Google's DNS entries.

Here's one for Zattoo users on the Amazon Fire TV.

As some may know, the dedicated app for Zattoo on the AFTV is amazing. It works almost like a normal TV to switch channels up and down, and makes a great platform for live viewing.

The catch is no recall or recordings because it is only available for German users and not Swiss.

But, there is an easy way to sideload the Android version of Zattoo (or almost any other Android app including ITV Player and more) on to the Fire TV - and without rooting. This will then work with recordings and Zattoo Recall.

There are a few gotcha's of course, but all is explained in this guide here.

Full marks from me, ovbg - your Post 1748 is brilliant news ...

I'll be investing in an Amazon Fire TV in the next couple of weeks and give it a go then, if all goes well, I'll buy a second one for our kitchen TV.

I hope your 2015 will be as improved as mine's going to be by dint of your announcement!

Full marks from me, ovbg - this is brilliant news!

Thanks mate.

The method works perfectly well for the ITV Player also, plus most other streaming apps. 4oD is sadly one of the few exceptions.

You can also sideload apps without using a smartphone app, just by using a computer on the same network as the Fire TV.

Explained here: http://sideloadfiret...ire-tv-windows/

With the same way you can sideload Kodi (ex xbmc) on your Fire TV. For me the latest Kodi 14 Helix worked great, and the previous Gotham 13.2 as well.

All that without rooting the device which will void the guarantee.

The only downside when you sideload apps, is that you have to go through Settings > All Apps > Find you app and start it from there.

However there is an alternative, so that you can have a shortcut on them main Fire TV menu. You can sideload an app called Llama, which you can use to set rules for events.

You then choose the crappiest free app you can find in the fire tv store, and change it so when you click it it will load your preferred App (f.ex Kodi).

More infos here : http://unlockfiretv...vs-main-screen/

Also sideloading a browser is also a great idea if you have a keyboard. Firefox works great on FTV.

Also if you are looking for a keyboard mouse combination that works great with Fire Tv, Amazon has this at a good price : http://www.amazon.de.../dp/B005G16098/

It works prefect out of the box with Fire tV. Just put the dongle on the USB port, restart fire fox turn on the keyboard and you are good to go.

Cheers,

Alex

I have chrome browser running on ubuntu with overplay dns setup on the router (fritzbox), and google dns addresses blocked so I can use chromecast.

I have noticed that with this setup clicking on google play with chrome browser comes up with this error.

post-8963-14203892054092_thumb.png

Google's explanation https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/4454607?hl=en

Sometimes I've noticed my chromecast speaking some slavic language. Again, I assume it due to smartdns

My android tablet nexus 10, upgraded to Lollipop has an icon that says my network may be monitored.

When I removed SmartDNS and the unblocking of google DNS the warnings go away.

I've also noted that Netflix on Android doesn't work but I use my smart tv instead so it isn't such a biggie that I haven't spent any time looking at the issue.

I'm liking the sound of the fire tv more, because looks like I can get all my apps, wired ethernet and setup dns directly on the device, and keep the rest of the network, cleaner.

The Netflix issues you are experiencing could be a result of new countermeasures ...

Netflix clamps down on attempts to dodge its regional restrictions

Netflix is starting to block subscribers who access its service using VPN services and other tools that bypass geolocation restrictions. The changes, which may also affect legitimate users, have been requested by the movie studios who want full control over what people can see in their respective countries.Due to complicated licensing agreements Netflix is only available in a few dozen countries, all of which have a different content library.Some people bypass these content and access restrictions by using VPNs or other circumvention tools that change their geographical location. This makes it easy for people all around the world to pay for access to the U.S. version of Netflix, for example.The movie studios are not happy with these deviant subscribers as it hurts their licensing agreements. Previously entertainment industry sources in Australia complained bitterly that tens of thousands of Netflix “VPN-pirates” were hurting their business.

Over the past weeks Netflix has started to take action against people who use certain circumvention tools. The Android application started to force Google DNS which now makes it harder to use DNS based location unblockers, and several VPN IP-ranges were targeted as well.

"Update: Netflix tells us that there's been "no change" in the way it handles VPNs, so you shouldn't have to worry about the company getting tough any time soon. With that said, these blocking errors started showing up in the past few weeks, so it's not clear what would have prompted them."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/03/netflix-clamps-down-on-vpns/

All fine on my Samsung tablet.

What issues are you seeing?

It resolved itself after 30 minutes of strangeness. We wanted to watch Wer Wird Millionaer from last week on RTL. It was behaving as if overPlay wasn't in the picture (so no BBC or RTL, just the standard German channels like ARD, ZDF were visible, though sometimes the BBC ones (and all the other ones that are only available in CH) would show up and then disappear). It seemed to be working fine on desktop all the while this was happening and both methods use the overPlay DNS's in the router, so I was having minor palpitations thinking they'd hardcoded the DNS entries into the app as was rumoured with Netflix (even if that wasn't actually true).

I have had several reports that Sky have taken action against receivers that are connected to the internet outside of the UK..

A couple with VPNs and the expected few who just connected without thinking..

Skyboxes are showing a 403 error..