TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,840 posts in this topic

I assume the answer is "no", but I'll ask...

Can you get Zattoo or FilmOn on Sky's NowTV box?

RT

It is possible to stream film on to a now TV box using the play to app. It's obviously a sub optimal solution and not what you really want.

I'd called the Roku the "branded" box and the NowTV is a "white label"...Roku manufacturers it for Sky who brand it with Sky branding.

So...total change of subject:

Does anyone use a Slingbox based in the British Isles to sling Freesat over here? I never really looked at it but actually my brother has 20Mbps upload at his place in Ireland and he doesn't use more than a tiny fraction of it (he really only goes near his upload when he Skypes me and even then sure he's only using maybe 10% of it). It strikes me I could place a Slingbox in his place and catch the sling here. I see the NEO TV from Netgear comes with Slingplayer, so a proper streaming box and not a "software only" solution.

Obviously there's a once off cost and the cost of running the Slingbox and the Freesat receiver but no subscription costs. To be honest though I wouldn't give up my smartDNS subscription as it's so useful, so I'd only save the CHF65 I give Zattoo each year for what is a bloody good service (lately has bee really solid for me), which is buttons really. I suppose I'm more thinking aloud.

I do recall you banging on about the legallities of getting irish tV outside of ireland etc etc blah blah bollox etc...

Now you are going to ask your brother to assist you?

i suppose this belongs in the flommoxed thread..

You're easily flummoxed then. As I said ALL ALONG I have and had no moral objection to receiving RTE on the box you offer. I even went so far as to say if you're going to get hanged you might as well get hanged for a sheep as a lamb and get a Blade box from one of those Spanish guys who even give you Sky Sports and movies etc. for less than you charge!

I only ever pointed out that the dubious nature of RTE on your box could invite RTE's lawyers to sue the stream providers and suddenly you find your 200 pound box makes nothing more than a nice paperweight. Same goes for the BBC because if you believe your box's BBC stream is originating in CH you'll believe anything - it's coming from wherever the RTE feed is coming from, probably Ireland. That was and is my only issue with the Blade box solutions. If the initial outlay was much lower and your only risk was a month's subscription then I'd say it's a no risk solution, but it isn't.

On the other hand, there's no chance of my brother cutting off my signal (nobody would ever even know he's slinging the stream as it's non-commercial), so no risk of the Slingbox turning into an expensive paperweight and of course, NO subscription fees whatsoever. For the cost of a year's subscription to most Blade services I could buy a high quality Slingbox and the NEOTV to act as a "Slingcatcher".

Yes..

I forgot just how right you always are...

Hi Murphaph,

Does anyone use a Slingbox based in the British Isles to sling Freesat over here? I never really looked at it but actually my brother has 20Mbps upload at his place in Ireland and he doesn't use more than a tiny fraction of it (he really only goes near his upload when he Skypes me and even then sure he's only using maybe 10% of it).

OK, let's spend a minute thinking about that. In a diy or homebrew kind of thinking.

I suppose I'm more thinking aloud.

Well, me to. Feel free to continue reading.

Let's assume there is a laptop in your brother's house that he uses for skyping you. And additionally, that laptop happens to have a dvb-t stick (or whatever kind of receiver) as video input.

Now, if one would configure Skype on that laptop not to use the camera as video input and not the microphone as audio input, but that dvb-t stick as audio and video source, you (Murphaph in Berlin) would see the irish telly and not the smiling face of your brother when he answers your Skype calls. Got it so far?

To continue the thought, let's get your brother out of the game: So, there is an old laptop in his home, a dvb-t-stick in it, a second Skype account "Murphaph2" *and* a "Remote desktop" software on it. All you have to do (from Berlin) is to make a "remote desktop" connection to that old laptop, select (with the DVB-T software on that laptop) the channel you want to watch, then make (from Berlin) a Skype call to "murphaph2", answer that Skype call in Ireland (you are still attached to the old laptop (in Ireland) via "remote desktop", aren't you?) and... well, there you go.

so no risk of the Slingbox turning into an expensive paperweight and of course

The old laptop I am talking about is one with a dodgy keyboard and/or cracked display. So, in my scenario, no money is involved at all.

Cheers

Franklan

Oh I see, but it's the Now TV box that's a branded Roku. The Roku boxes are the originals.

I'd called the Roku the "branded" box and the NowTV is a "white label"...Roku manufacturers it for Sky who brand it with Sky branding ...

I realise it's only semantics but still, understanding each other is an important part of life...

This announcement confirms that the branded box is designed, manufactured and sold by Roku but also labelled and marketed by another company as if it's its own product. In this example Netgear have retained "Roku" on the box:

Dubbed Netgear Roku Player NTV250, the device is the Roku XD featuring Netgear branding.

In the case of the Now TV box, Sky chose not to display the Roku name, just it's own:

In July 2013 Sky launched a Now TV-branded Roku streaming box allowing users to stream Now TV content to their TV, and to view content from BBC iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5, Spotify and Sky News.

This Wikipedia article explains it better than I can.

Some interesting thoughts there folks.

Another crazy idea I have to reduce the required hardware (and thus the amount of things to go wrong) on my brother's side is to take out a subscription to the Irish equivalent of Telekom Entertain (IPTV) and use a VPN to tunnel the packets (AFAIK it uses unicasting and multicasting on 2 different VLANs but I think it's doable), bringing the STB to Germany and using it just like a Telekom Entertain customer uses theirs, except my packets come over a VPN from Ireland.

I have seen that some folks here in Germany at least have gotten this to work with Entertain for their holiday homes etc.

Downside here is obvious: cost of a subscription to IPTV in Ireland, but I think the idea is interesting and might apply to some folks here with family in the UK from where they could get a UK based IPTV subscription, which might be cheaper. Upside is (possibly) no extra hardware running on brother's side at all (if I can get a VPN that can handle UDP and multicast etc.on to his router...in theory openVPN can be installed and that should be fine (one of the German guys I mentioned above got it working with 2 raspberry Pis on each end, both running openVPN. One with an extra USB ethernet port but someone else metioned using 2 x 25 Euro Mikrotik router boards to do it even cheaper.

The old laptop I am talking about is one with a dodgy keyboard and/or cracked display. So, in my scenario, no money is involved at all.

But this is a much, much bigger pain in the ass solution than having a slingbox and certainly a much bigger one than having Zattoo. Imagine having to navigate and change channels, setting up the whole thing each time etc. Forget this idea.

Amazon Fire TV is now just 84 Euros.

Got it. As I was already an Amazon Prime member, just the amazon instant video alone was worth it.

But I am more than satisfied with it. Very fast, great specs, it is very easy to load xbmc/kodi on it (without even rooting it, as you can sideload apps)

and the "good" add-ons as well.

I paired it with a logitech K400 bluetooh Keyboard w/ touchpad that was on offer at Amazon at 22, sideloaded Firefox as well.

And you can get the gamepad if you are more into gaming.

Now my previous streaming companion (WD Live) is collecting dust. :lol:

But this is a much, much bigger pain in the ass solution than having a slingbox and certainly a much bigger one than having Zattoo. Imagine having to navigate and change channels, setting up the whole thing each time etc. Forget this idea.

My one and only beef with Zattoo (at the moment, there were times during the year when it went to the dogs quality wise, but now it's great) is that they seem allergic to set top boxes with recall.

We've gone through the theories but at the end of the day their big competitor in CH (Wilmaa) has its own STB with full recall service and that is what's missing from Zattoo. On other counts Zattoo wipes the floor with Wilmaa IMO, it's just that annoying lack of recall on a STB.

They are missing RTE as well (because RTE can't be received in the clear in CH so legally it's a no no) but RTE is mostly crap anyway.

Hi all. I can not find any info on this. With the Amazon Fire TV box do you have to side load the Zattoo app or is it available natively in the menu tiles? Thanks in advance.

Zattoo app is instalable directly from Amazon Germany. It works only for live TV though.