TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,808 posts in this topic

One Option I dont think has been mentioned yet is a slingbox ....my Friend has Set it up at his mums House in the uk and it works very well....

I think it has been mentioned, but yes that's another option. The problems with that is what if you don't have a friend/family back in the UK. If you do have one, then you're going to need to hook it up to a DVR to make it useful. That DVR is going to need a signal. If the household has freeview then it'll need a split signal or an antenna of it's own. It'll need electricity constantly. It'll need to share an (or have it's own) internet connection and they'll need to leave their router on all the time (a lot of people don't). It ends up being a non-cheap solution. You can be lucky, have family/friends who don't consider the electricity an issue, have easily enough bandwidth that you can upload at 1Mbit/s, you or they have a spare freeview signal to plug into a spare DVR. Then it can be cheap. I've thought about this in the past as I have three potential host homes, two with Virgin cable and/or freeview, and a third with freeview only, and all with good internet connections, but even then it didn't seem a great option. Especially when you consider that there's filmon and zattoo and all the catchup services available (which only need a $5/month smartdns to enable them, and I think* filmon doesn't even need that).

I think it has been mentioned, but yes that's another option. The problems with that is what if you don't have a friend/family back in the UK. If you do have one, then you're going to need to hook it up to a DVR to make it useful. That DVR is going to need a signal. If the household has freeview then it'll need a split signal or an antenna of it's own. It'll need electricity constantly. It'll need to share an (or have it's own) internet connection and they'll need to leave their router on all the time (a lot of people don't). It ends up being a non-cheap solution. You can be lucky, have family/friends who don't consider the electricity an issue, have easily enough bandwidth that you can upload at 1Mbit/s, you or they have a spare freeview signal to plug into a spare DVR. Then it can be cheap. I've thought about this in the past as I have three potential host homes, two with Virgin cable and/or freeview, and a third with freeview only, and all with good internet connections, but even then it didn't seem a great option. Especially when you consider that there's filmon and zattoo and all the catchup services available (which only need a $5/month smartdns to enable them, and I think* filmon doesn't even

Agree with all you say but for a few it may be a better Option ... As filmon etc. are unreliable at Peak viewing Time .my Friend has Set up a separate aerial and Freeview Recorder and Internet coNnectio at his Mums House....he lives East of Berlin and couldnt get a sat dish Big enough for the flat

A luxury Option for a few....hd is very Impressive on slingbox as is the ability to flip channels on the Virtual Remote and Record on the Virtual Remote

Agree with all you say but for a few it may be a better Option ... As filmon etc. are unreliable at Peak viewing Time .my Friend has Set up a separate aerial and Freeview Recorder and Internet coNnectio at his Mums House....he lives East of Berlin and couldnt get a sat dish Big enough for the flat

A luxury Option for a few....hd is very Impressive on slingbox as is the ability to flip channels on the Virtual Remote and Record on the Virtual Remote

Also, if the homeowner has Sky or Virgin, there's always the option of "adding a room" or "adding a box" (or whatever they call it). I think that's fairly reasonably priced. Aren't UK internet connections, even fast ones, fairly poor in their uplink speeds? Mine here in German has 5Mbit/s up, which would handle streaming HD perfectly well. What bit rate is your friend uploading at?

I may well resume my interest in this option, if you can even still get slingbox/slingsender combinations. If you hook the slingsender box up to the right kind of box of course, then it might have all the catchup apps in it. I know my Mum's VirginMedia STB has at least iPlayer in it (which she manages to forget after each time I show her how to use it).

Also, if the homeowner has Sky or Virgin, there's always the option of "adding a room" or "adding a box" (or whatever they call it). I think that's fairly reasonably priced. Aren't UK internet connections, even fast ones, fairly poor in their uplink speeds? Mine here in German has 5Mbit/s up, which would handle streaming HD perfectly well. What bit rate is your friend uploading at?

I may well resume my interest in this option, if you can even still get slingbox/slingsender combinations. If you hook the slingsender box up to the right kind of box of course, then it might have all the catchup apps in it. I know my Mum's VirginMedia STB has at least iPlayer in it (which she manages to forget after each time I show her how to use it).

I will e mail him and find out for you

If you hook the slingsender box up to the right kind of box of course, then it might have all the catchup apps in it.

That sort of seems unnecessary when with a bit of DNS tweaking the iPlayer apps work perfectly well here, and in many cases natively on similar (German bought) boxes.

That sort of seems unnecessary when with a bit of DNS tweaking the iPlayer apps work perfectly well here, and in many cases natively on similar (German bought) boxes.

Indeed, and I have that working with SmartDNS now. I'm just saying, if you do go for a slingbox route, you don't need any DNS tweaking as not only are you able to access a DVR from the UK, if you're accessing the right DVR, then it might have apps in it too. Pay something for a slingbox but save on your SmartDNS being needed.

update: Nice! I just learned I have a free slingplayer app on my roku :)

murphaph

Yes, I'm also getting an error message. Overplay says "SmartDNS is enabled for your IP address" but it seems the geo-unlocking is not working. The Live Help is not active right now. I'm sure they are working on it.

If they are then they have managed to synchronise it remarkably well.it's not just iPlayer, 4oD and demand 5 are no-go for me as well. RTE is also only showing Irish produced content to me (no stuff with non-RTE rights holders) ;)

Yep - Overplay have problems with their central server....

Any links? Can't see anything on their site.

Or The BBC etc are tightening up on VPNs etc...

Hmmm sky on demand is no longer working with my VPN this has also been Reported by Other sky on demand Users in spain and the canaries...BBC still ok with VPN however

So which VPNs are we talking about? Are you and the others on the same VPN?