TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,808 posts in this topic

Hi ovbg,

This sounds really interesting. Any idea where would this be in the endless menus of the fritz!box 7390?

Look at #39 of this thread.

Cheers

Franklan

Hi ovpg,

Look at #39 of this thread.

Cheers

Franklan

Thanks, I missed that. So, if I untick that box (as it currently is ticked by default), could this mean my IP address may not change? (Depending on t-online of course)

Sure it could work on a mobile browser. I can post the HTML in here if anyone wants it.

I'd certainly be interested. This could be a great alternative to all that complicated DDNS or cron jobs.

Is the Deutsche Telekom daily DSL forced restart at 04:00am something I can request they stop doing (ideally through their online service portal)?

Telekom don't force the restart at 4am every day. They break the connection after 24 hours of continuous use - this means it can break anytime during the day - around 24 hours after the last connection was made. Most routers can force the break during a certain period of the day, usually at night so the break doesn't inconvenience you. If they are still forcing your connection to break you can't change this, but if you prevent your router breaking the connection it may just persist. Best way to check is to stop your router making the break and seeing what happens i.e. if your connection breaks of its own accord 24 hours later.

Hi ovbg,

OverPlay have reported to me that they have fixed the problem. Will test it tomorrow morning, but I am hopeful things are going to be automated again.

I just provoked an IP change on my router, and overplay grasped that within 3 minutes...

So, yeah, it seems to work again.

@rockthrust: Recheck now if it also works for you.

AAMOF, *that* part of their service does seem to have a stability issue at the moment. Let's see.

Cheers

Franklan

I'd certainly be interested. This could be a great alternative to all that complicated DDNS or cron jobs.

You can simply run that script I gave you earlier direct from a browser or assign it to a bookmark to make life easier.

... What I was thinking was a possibility to have a Raspberry Pi to run a cron job or equivalent scheduled task, as this could be a good, low cost 24/7 option. Obviously it would be too complicated for the average person to set up, but there could be a bit of pocket money for someone who wants to quickly put one together in a case and pre-configured, then sell on...

I doubt much pocket money would be made given that the cheapest RPi+SDcard+PSU+cables+case I've ever seen is about €50 - your Smartphone app is the way to go if a DDNS solution isn't consistently reliable.

Hi ovbg,

I just provoked an IP change on my router, and overplay grasped that within 3 minutes... So, yeah, it seems to work again ...

As luck would have it, D. Telekom interrupted the VDSL/landline connection to this street about two hours ago and I've just checked that Fritz!Box+No-ip+OverPlay seem to be working together properly again here too.

Hi YorkshireLad6,

You can simply run that script I gave you earlier direct from a browser or assign it to a bookmark to make life easier.

Man, that's not a script, that's a link... But a good one, I didn't know that overplay has an update link like that.

That makes life alot easier.

1.) Instead of using a DynDNS-Provider, have your fritzbox call that link upon reconnect. (By combining #45 and Yorkshirelad's link)

or

2.)

Use Notepad to create a file with the following content, and save it as overplay.vbs to your autostart-directory. So, your overplay-IP is activated whenever you start your laptop/PC. (because that little visual basic script loads that weblink/page on every start. Note that the script assumes your username to be joey@dunlop.org and the password to be hotzenplotz. You have to change that in the script to your needs)

DIM oXMLHTTP: SET oXMLHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")

call oXMLHTTP.open("GET", "http://www.overplay.net/api/user/ddwrt/update_smartdns.php?user=joey@dunlop.org&pass=hotzenplotz", false)

on error resume next

call oXMLHTTP.send()

on error goto 0

msgbox "Overplay answered: " & oXMLHTTP.ResponseText

Cheers

Franklan

It's a link to a (php) script...

with many media clients, especially those based on unix or Android you can simply run a wget or similar command at startup or alternatively fire up a browser with the link (to the script) as your homepage. For a while I was running a Raspberry pi as an XBMC client doing just this.

@rockthrust: Recheck now if it also works for you.

Franklan

Did the same: forced a new connection during watching BBC TV, picture "span" for a few seconds and then recommenced. You wouldn't have known it was resetting the IP setting, looked more like buffering.

Thanks!

RT

I've uploaded a simple html page to this free webhosting thing called weebly.

The URL is http://myreloader.weebly.com

When there, it'll ask you which webpage you'd like to reload (into an iframe) and how often (in minutes).

If you enter the URL that YL provided (in this post), replacing <username> and <password> with your actual username and password, then enter a number of minutes, and click Go. It'll then reload that page that often.

If you want to do it once per hour, enter 60. Once per day is 1440 minutes. We should make sure we don't take the piss or we'll stress the overplay servers.

Once you've entered the URL and number of minutes and clicked Go, the page will load and at this point you can bookmark/favourite it (with your time and URL as part of the bookmark).

Derek

You say it will ask you in seconds... then you say Enter 60 which is once an hour... 60 Seconds is 1 minute...

Just sayin

I used to have it in seconds, changed it to minutes but didn't update my post text. I've updated it now.

We are still watching all channels by using a MYGICA XBMC box from Thailand, via a Steve in Spain. This box is connected to internet. The website we found it on was:

www.iplayerproxy4u.com

Hope this helps some of you.

It's 130€ at Amazon where it has mixed reviews, and to be honest it is not the latest technology. Using XBMC on Android is very early days and might over-tax the processor and graphic subsystem, but is useful for access to other media content, as you can still use native apps such as BBC iPlayer or Zattoo.

On top of this you need the usual geolocation obfuscation. EnglishBav has chosen a VPN service, but I think there is a general agreement that a DNS redirector such as SmartDNS is cheaper, more flexible and just as effective especially if you might want to view on multiple clients in your network.

The MyGica box according to www.iplayerproxy4u.com is a Linux box. Anyway, my question was addressed to EnglishBav.

AncientBrit. We paid about 140 euro for it. The proxy chap only asks for donations, he suggests about 5 euro a month and is known to have accepted a supply of coffee from a Brit in Brasil. So far we havent paid anything, but shall do, it is only fair.