TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

...another option if you use XBMC as your streamer of choice is my little plug-in which will update your SmartDNS IP address at boot time.

Tim.

...what would be the point in spending hours clicking aimlessly on settings panels trying to get something working, when you can just ask someone who's already found the solution? I don't have the time or the inclination to do that.

Well, that's certainly inspiration to provide you with help... like the people who do know the answers have the time or inclination to provide them....

Ok, Follow up to Post #30,

What to do when your browser is not a fritzbox or an older fritzbox:

1.) Set up an account for free DynDNS with www.selfhost.eu

(This page is currently only in German, but maybe another TTer will write a HowTo)

OK, you end up with a username, a password for the service, and a choosen name for your DynDNS.

Let's assume you got:

username=123456

password=grutzelfru

DynDNS=myprivateidahoingermany.selfhost.eu

2.) Now, whenever on any device in your house the following weblink is opened,...

h tt p://carol.selfhost.de/update?username=123456&password=grutzelfru&myip=&textmodi=1&hostlist=1&remote=1

... your domainname myprivateidahoingermany.selfhost.eu will be set to point to your router's IP.

3.) You can check if it is working by following the steps 11 and 12 in post #35.

4.) All that is left to do is to enter myprivateidahoingermany.selfhost.eu into overplay (see Step 13 in Post #35)

5.) Putting the link (as mentioned in step 2) as a shortcut on the desktop of your computer gives you a one-click solution to update the Dyn-DNS, so you don't have to log in to overplay (and enter the f**king captcha that they have on the login page) anymore.

However, there are even easier ways: Set up a device in your house to load that link automatically and do that work for you ... (to be continued)

Cheers

Franklan

OK, now let's set up your router to update the DYN DNS for you (follow up to post #43)

So you've got your DynDNS running (as described in #43), that one-click solution on your desktop works way better than logging in to overplay everyday, but you want to eliminate even that...

1.) Find the DynDNS-settings within your router and have it call that link (step 2 in post #43) every time it gets a new ip.

For example this is how to do it on a fritzbox (even those that do not have MyFritz)

a.) Click on "Internet", select "Freigaben", select "Dynamic DNS"

b.) set "Dynamic DNS-Anbieter" to "Benutzerdefiniert" (Providertype=userdefined)

set "Update URL": Paste the link (step 2 in post #43)

set "Domainname": your choosen domainname

set "Benutzername" und "Kennwort" to some sh*t, because the username and password is already included in the link

select "Übernehmen" to finish.

(

Screenshot is here: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/eunsnc16ucfb58g/268058282-fritz2.jpg

)

Depending on your router the steps might be a little bit different, though...

Cheers

Franklan

Follow up to Post #45

What to do if I cannot set up my router to automatically update?

So, you've set up your Dynamic DNS account (#43), but your router cannot be set up to automatically call the update link.

Find a linux based device (like your NAS, your raspberry, your coffeemachine etc.) and have the following script started at bootup :

#!/bin/bash

#

# Script to update Dynamic DNS every 15 minutes

#

# Main Loop, repeats forever

while true; do

#Fetch the link

wget -o /tmp/dynlogX.tmp -O /tmp/dynlogY.tmp "http://carol.selfhost.de/update?username=123456&password=grutzelfru&myip=&textmodi=1&hostlist=1&remote=1"

#Log the result

cat /tmp/dynlogY.tmp | grep text >>/tmp/ipchange.log

#remove the tempfiles

rm /tmp/dynlogX.tmp

rm /tmp/dynlogY.tmp

#Wait 900 seconds

sleep 900

done

#EOF

Cheers

Franklan

Well, that's certainly inspiration to provide you with help... like the people who do know the answers have the time or inclination to provide them....

You're assuming I am not grateful for people's help which is not the case at all. I am grateful to anyone who takes the time to help others.

Thanks for the Fritz!Tips everyone. I am becoming more and more convinced to get a US-based Roku.

The US based Roku will work great for US service, which is what I imagine you plan it for - as UK services require a UK Roku.

That said, you also need to be able to add your Smart DNS to your router as the Roku platform is one of the few which has limited networking options with no manual DNS setting.

I use mine perfectly for Netflix, Hulu Plus, PBS, Crackle, Vudu and even USTVNow, which the last was installed via a private channel in the Roku's admin page and will give you live HD streams of the main US channels - for a fee of course. The Roku 3 is my favourite platform for Netflix and Hulu and I always watch on the Roku rather than the myriad of other platforms I have.

Gotcha: Setting up the US Roku in Germany is not as straightforward as the UK Roku for some reason. There is a guide your can use here, but be aware that if one step is not done in the right place it won't set up correctly. I had to clear and create a new Roku account a couple of times before I got it right (and I wrote the guide!)

The combination of zattoo, iPad and apple TV seems to be the set-up of choice for a lot of people.

As I know practically nothing about the Apple universe (or much else), I have a couple of questions about this configuration:

Is the speed (with WiFi to the iPad and to the apple TV box) comparable to a PC with a cabled solution (Ethernet to PC and then HDMI to the TV)?

Am I correct in assuming that with this configuration you could keep the iPad on the couch table as a sort of remote control (being a lazy b*****)?

If SmartDNS is being used, do you need to configure the device you are using (iPad) or the router or both)?

Any help much appreciated!

To answer Ovbg, I prefer to use catch up and on demand,that way I can watch what I want, when I want,apart from news, sport and occasionally if I just happen to be in when something good is on.

I have some questions about DNS,if anybody knows the answers,I would be greatful.

1 Security,is it safe using smart DNS for online banking etc?

2 what is the difference with the two different overplay options?

3 Can I set up on my pc,two different internet connections, one for streaming and one for banking,email,Skype etc,or do I not need to?

I have an internet security suite.

4 If I set up my router for smart DNS, does everything that I connect to it not need setting up pc tv ps4 mobile etc?

5 Is there anyway to get british tv channels without an internet conection? My in-laws are without internet.

Thank for the help.

Zattoo exists as an embedded app on a number of media platforms including Samsung TVs and LG Blu Ray players (the LG BD670 costs about 110€) which gives you a dedicated device permanently connected to your TV.

thanks for the info, but it hasn't really answered my question. :) I have a WDTV and thought maybe there was some way of using that as a short-term solution until the sat situation becomes clearer.

Good question. Personally, being a bit paranoid, I don't enable SmartDNS in my router or on my day to day PC (except in "emergencies") because there is a slight security risk. I don't doubt that Overplay are a reputable company but if they were compromised there's nothing to stop DNS requests to your banking web page being redirected to a phishing site.

This is probably discussed elsewhere, but basically one is a VPN, through which all your internet traffic will be piped and the other is the Smart DNS service which redirects only the bits required to verify your location and is generally the better option because you can appear to be in different places for different services (i.e. the US for Netflix and the UK for the iPlayer) and the streams themselves come direct via your own internet connected and not are not subject to bottlenecks at the VPN provider.

Is the speed (with WiFi to the iPad and to the apple TV box) comparable to a PC with a cabled solution (Ethernet to PC and then HDMI to the TV)?

No, a wired connection is always the most stable connection possible, with the widest bandwidth.

That said, If you have a good WiFi in your home, it will be perfectly suitable for this type of streaming. I never have bandwidth issues when airplaying content, and I use it all the time. But, I have a really good router/access point (FritzBox) and on my far older access point (Sportport 503 from t-online I think), I did get a few issues.

There may also be a great way to wirelessly stream Zattoo across via Android to your TV, but I don't know much about Android (hint to anyone else who knows a lot about Android, I'll love some tips as I want to start reviewing all this on Android very soon, so anyone know the best way to wirelessly stream Android to a TV?)

Am I correct in assuming that with this configuration you could keep the iPad on the couch table as a sort of remote control (being a lazy b*****)?

Correct. The iPad/iPhone or iPod Touch can play the content on the screen, but there is a small airplay button visible, in which if you press, the content then streams to the TV. Then, you can have all your favourite channels listed in order, i.e. BBC One, BBC Two etc that are still on your display will be shown. (you can scroll down to see more).

Just tap on the name of the channel, and the channel will change on the TV. The change takes about 3 seconds for me under AirPlay.

Here is something else cool. See that "i" in the circle beside most channels? Press that and programme info comes up on the iOS device where you can also start the current live programme direct from the beginning if you came to it late.

post-90655-13921337460755.jpg

post-90655-13921337466282.jpg

It acts just like a remote. However, Zattoo is especially good, and you can switch off the iPad or iPhone, or even use other apps and the stream will continue on the TV as if nothing has happened.

If SmartDNS is being used, do you need to configure the device you are using (iPad) or the router or both)?

Any help much appreciated!

I have just the router configured, so all devices in my home go through Smart DNS. This way I don't have to think about it. Someone could be watching the BBC on the TV, or Zattoo on a PC, or Hulu Plus from the US on the spare TV.

However, you could just add the Smart DNS service to the iPad or iPhone. I did hear of someone saying that they had AirPlay problems until they added it also to the Apple TV - although I never experienced this, keep it in mind if you have AirPlay problems.

If I am looking for something particular, which was on for example BBC and is no longer available on iplayer, is there another way to find it somewhere else?

I have some questions about DNS,if anybody knows the answers,I would be greatful.

This is a very good question. Theoretically, any ISP or DNS service could be a security weak point, as in any of these organizations, people could redirect traffic that shouldn't be, or try to hack into them. As far as I know, a Smart DNS company couldn't easily get into encrypted secure data that was used say for banking, but it is possible they could do some other dodgy things with it.

That said, OverPlay who I use have been around for a long time and have thousands of customers. I personally trust them enough that I have their DNS servers in my router, and I also do my banking within that same network. But if you are not so trusting, which is fine, just reserve certain devices for Smart DNS.

Perfectly described by fathert. VPN has the advantage that it is technically more secure if you are doing dodgy stuff (i.e. torrenting), but Smart DNS has the following advantages:

1) You get much faster bandwidth than VPN as the video is not tunneled through. It is the same fast bandwidth you normally have. As an example, I can barely get a 400kbps when tunneling into New Zealand or Australia and via VPN the video is so poor it is unwatchable. Via Smart DNS, I get excellent quality ABC, SBS and TVNZ streams. The same for Netflix (full 1080p streams).

2) You don't have to change VPN's to change countries. I done a test on one computer through different browser tabs, and I had five different streams playing at the same time, one from TVNZ in New Zealand, One from the BBC in HD, one from US Hulu in HD, one from ABC in Australia and a final one from Netflix - try that with VPN. Of course, in the real world this means if you switch between Hulu and BBC etc, there are no changes that need to be made.

3) Smart DNS is cheaper. Enough said there.

4) With Smart DNS, you can easily switch Netflix libraries if you are a subscriber. Say you subscribe to Netflix UK, but you find a film only available in Netflix US or Canada - you can easily switch to the other library and watch it.

5) Smart DNS can be set up on devices that normally don't allow VPN's, like Smart TVs, Blu-Ray players, gaming consoles and other STBs.

There are a few other features, but these are the main ones.

3 Can I set up on my pc,two different internet connections, one for streaming and one for banking,email,Skype etc,or do I not need to?

I have an internet security suite.

As part of the 1st question, if you are worried about security with Smart DNS, don't set it on your router, and leave one PC without it set up on. It doesn't affect Skype and all that, so it all depends on what you are personally worried about. That PC you don't set up Smart DNS on (it's just two DNS servers you add to the network settings) won't have access to the BBC and all the other stuff.

4 If I set up my router for smart DNS, does everything that I connect to it not need setting up pc tv ps4 mobile etc?

5 Is there anyway to get british tv channels without an internet conection? My in-laws are without internet.

Thank for the help.

Hi MrT,

OK, if something was on BBC servers, but isn't on the BBC servers anymore, we're getting to the point were you have to download stuff "somewhere else".

We are getting to the edge of legality here. You decide.

Example: You missed "Top Gear UK Season 21 Episode 1" (aired on February 2, 2014).

1.) Enter "www.awesomedl.com" in your browser.

2.) Enter "Top Gear UK" in the search box on that page.

3.) Scroll down to "Top Gear UK Season 21, Episode 1"

4.) Click on "Read more"

There you are: This show can be downloaded from "FileFactory, Mega, etc. etc.", more than a dozen different download locations...

Again, you decide if and how you download. AND: Not having a decent malware protection installed and going to sites on the edge of legality is a pretty, pretty bad idea!

Cheers

Franklan

Is there some way of getting Zattoo or the streaming players on WDTV?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this is possible. I'll put a few feelers out there and see if anyone else knows something I don't. I'll also ask Zattoo, but they usually take a couple of days to answer.

If I am looking for something particular, which was on for example BBC and is no longer available on iplayer, is there another way to find it somewhere else?

Good question and depends on the timeframe. If it has been a while, it often ends up on either Netflix, Lovefilm or Hulu, but not all do.

The BBC iPlayer currently has two lengths it holds things for, 7 days for the average show, and the duration of a whole series for many others (though usually just UK productions). This means if you come into a drama series that is 10 episodes long on the 7th week, you can often start still from the very first episode.

However, some time this year, all shows will be a minimum of one month before they fall off the edge. I don't know this will change though.

Outside of that, I can't personally think of any other way to access them until they repeat or end up on Dave. Anyone else?...