TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

I have netflix uk, they have almost nothing I want, I checked the UK Amazon Instant Video library, they have all the series I want to watch, so, it'd be a better service for me

Did you look at other Netflix locales? (I don't have a NF sub but on the overplay site you can set the NF locale and AFAIK a NF account is a NF account-ie it doesn't matter to which one you originally subscribed, you can view them all if you're in the right location, or overplay sets the region you want)

Did you look at other Netflix locales? (I don't have a NF sub but on the overplay site you can set the NF locale and AFAIK a NF account is a NF account-ie it doesn't matter to which one you originally subscribed, you can view them all if you're in the right location, or overplay sets the region you want)

I go to a website which compares the full netflix listings from US and UK and they don't have the shows I would like to see (mainly old ones) which Amazon has.

My question is if anyone here has been able to use Amazon Instant Video UK on their samsung tv paying the service with a German billing address. I tried to subscribe but I get a message saying that the service won't be available with my billing address.

Dyana

you only need one account for amazon regardless and the same applies to UK and Amazon (Lovefilm) prime

If I remember rightly I set mine up first of all using my VPN connection from Overplay on my laptop and I got their 1 month free trial then paid with my german Amazon account details. I don't know if it is necessary to use a VPN but that's how I did it.

I let it run for 3 months and in the end I cancelled it mainly because the Video on Demand stuff was really limited in comparison to Netflix and the streaming quality was really hit and miss. Although this was early last year I do recollect reading that they have added more stuff to compete with Netflix but I think given that you can change the Netflix countries like YL6 mentioned above, Netflix beats it hands down. I found also with Netflix there is more stuff if you go search their libraries as not everything is listed on their main/home page.

Much like Netflix, there's only 1 month notice when setting up an account so with the offering of a 1 month trial so you have nothing to lose.

(I'm not sure but something tells me their pricing has changed as well, £79.99 a year seems to ring a bell but haven't got time to look it up.)

Go try and perhaps you can let us now how you get on.

For anyone else reading, you can also get Blinkbox on the Smart Hub which also offers VOD with quirte a lot of the later titles and is supported by Overplay. It's a little harder cause you either need a UK credit card or you can buy vouchers from a Tesco's supermarket. IT's only a code you input so even if you're not in the UK you can have a relative do it for you. The only downfall is that the video downloads are expensive starting from £1.00 upto £3.50 the last time I used it. Edit; To set up a Blinkbox account from outside the UK you will need a vpn connection or the zenmate addon for selected browsers like Chrome or Firefox which is currently free.

@what Murphaph said you can only change the Netflix country in the my Account section of Overplay.

Dyanayou only need one account for amazon regardless and the same applies to UK and Amazon (Lovefilm) primeIf I remember rightly I set mine up first of all using my VPN connection from Overplay on my laptop and I got their 1 month free trial then paid with my german Amazon account details. I don't know if it is necessary to use a VPN but that's how I did it. I let it run for 3 months and in the end I cancelled it mainly because the Video on Demand stuff was really limited in comparison to Netflix and the streaming quality was really hit and miss. Although this was early last year I do recollect reading that they have added more stuff to compete with Netflix but I think given that you can change the Netflix countries like YL6 mentioned above, Netflix beats it hands down. I found also with Netflix there is more stuff if you go search their libraries as not everything is listed on their main/home page.Much like Netflix, there's only 1 month notice when setting up an account so with the offering of a 1 month trial so you have nothing to lose.(I'm not sure but something tells me their pricing has changed as well, a year seems to ring a bell but haven't got time to look it up.)Go try and perhaps you can let us now how you get on.For anyone else reading, you can also get Blinkbox on the Smart Hub which also offers VOD with quirte a lot of the later titles and is supported by Overplay. It's a little harder cause you either need a UK credit card or you can buy vouchers from a Tesco's supermarket. IT's only a code you input so even if you're not in the UK you can have a relative do it for you. The only downfall is that the video downloads are expensive starting from upto the last time I used it.@what Murphaph said you can only change the Netflix country in the my Account section of Overplay.

Cheers, I'm going to try having the free month trial, if it works, even after they see my billing address, then I can decide which service suits me better :)

I go to a website which compares the full netflix listings from US and UK and they don't have the shows I would like to see (mainly old ones) which Amazon has.

Are you using Moreflicks? This website compares more than just UK and US. Most of Netflix's best films are on the Scandinavian, South American or Canadian locales. They are all in the original language. The only catch is that some countries make it easy to switch off local subtitles, while others don't.

My question is if anyone here has been able to use Amazon Instant Video UK on their samsung tv paying the service with a German billing address. I tried to subscribe but I get a message saying that the service won't be available with my billing address.

I signed up to Amazon Prime Videos UK when they were LoveFilm UK, so it was pretty easy that way. I don't know if it can be done so easily from Amazon Prime Instant Video UK. Remember also that they force a full year on to you with no easy get-out claus that Netflix offers.

But if the shows you are after are really what you want, then give it a go. I believe they offer a month's free trial, so if it does take your credit card, and you are not happy, you can stop it before the month. There is no reason also why you would need to wait until your Netflix free trial is over either.

The Samsung TV's app on the UK store should work fine. It still does for mine that I swapped over. Make sure you don't accidentally buy the DE Prime as this is horrible.

Hi,

Question: What kind of delays are you experiencing with different IP-TV services?

I just used my radio controlled alarm clock (DCF 77 type) which is really accurate: When the ZDF-News (watched via Overplay/Zattoo/LG BP 620) showed 7:00:00 AM, the alarm clock showed 7:01:06 AM.

So the "live" stream via zattoo is whooping 66 seconds delayed?! Whoa!

Here's a worst case scenario: Your neighbor is watching Bayern vs Manchester live on his telly (german TV via cable), you're watching the same game via Internet (in english), and he is already shouting "hurra" due to a successfull penalty kick before you have even seen the foul provoking the penalty kick.

Any other experiences with delays? How "delayish" is your connection/setup?

Cheers

Franklan

2-3 minutes is not unusual. Unless the end of the world is being announced on the news, I don't think I care. In fact, it it was being announced I may not get time to care, which is even better.

Zattoo has quite a meaty buffer to accommodate network delays, so some of the delay can be accounted for that.

So the "live" stream via zattoo is whooping 66 seconds delayed?! Whoa!

You usually get good responses via twitter. Try asking them @zattoo. They're usually more responsive and concerned about retweets.

Too bad the Roku Watch will probably work only every 1st of April.

That was my favourite bit :) Can't wait until they're released, on April 31st :)

Hi Sarjsmith,

Ok, quick fix for you...

have a look at the following link thingy, it assumes that your email is "joey@dunlop.org" and your password is "hotzenplotz", feel free to adapt it to your real overplay account data.

Also note that you should change h**p to http, I did that to bullshit this forum software to not change this to a clickable link.

h**p://www.overplay.net/api/user/ddwrt/update_smartdns.php?user=joey@dunlop.org&pass=hotzenplotz

then, go to your fritzbox's setup,

Select Internet/Freigaben/Dynamic DNS

- activate the option "Dynamic DNS benutzen"

- Select "Dynamic DNS-Anbieter" to be "Benutzerdefiniert" ("user defined")

- paste the link (as mentioned above, with your data and h**p changed to http) into the field Update-URL

- Enter "bla" as Domainname

- Enter "blubb" as Benutzername

- Enter "whatever" as Kennwort

and finally click on "Übernehmen".

You're done (without using an external provider)! Whenever your internet provider assigns a new IP address to you, the fritzbox will call that link, and this will activate your overplay account with your current IP.

Screenshot is attached.

It still would be great if you could report your original problem to overplay, and let us know, how overplay's support reacts.

Cheers

Franklan

Anyone else notice this dyndns solution is failing today?

post-8795-13963709938386.jpg

Weirdly, I went into my fritz, copied the dyndns URL and pasted it into a new browser tab, and it worked right away. It stopped working in the dyndns field though. It has been working for a few weeks flawlessly.

Hi Derek,

Anyone else notice this dyndns solution is failing today?

I had problems accessing zattoo at about the same time. Could be that Overplay had a bad hair evening.

Let's just hope this will settle and that dyndns-trick will work again tomorrow. We'll see.

Cheers

Franklan

I had problems accessing zattoo at about the same time. Could be that Overplay had a bad hair evening.

Let's just hope this will settle and that dyndns-trick will work again tomorrow. We'll see.

Let's hope so. Normally I only hit their server once a day (around 5am) but because each time it's failing, I'm hitting it once per minute. I think I'll disable it for now.

Such a good trick, using the router's dyndns feature to avoid having to use a real dyndns :)

Interesting... Is this a different method to the usual by combination of Dynamic DNS on the router, plus a DynDNS provider?

I've switched to using the NAS method as I done a guide on how to set it up, so I didn't notice any issues this morning.

Yes, this cuts out the middle man. Normally you sign up with a dyndns service and have a username/password and you get your router to keep that service updated with your IP, then you tell overplay about your dyndns account name (hostname) and they can then keep your ip up to date.

This idea from franklan bypasses the entire dyndns service by tricking the router into pinging overplay's IP update URL directly, when it thinks it's pinging a Dyndns service, but it's not. The Dyndns URL that you give it includes all the relevant information (username/password), so the hostname/username/password that you give the router in the separate form fields aren't actually used I believe.

It's a great idea and had worked for me for a few weeks but stopped yesterday.

It's working again today :)

The error you were getting was a "domain does not exist" error and since you were using Overplay's DNS to resolve the domain name it was then a problem in Overplay's server which it is now fixed.

Hi ovbg,

I've switched to using the NAS method as I done a guide on how to set it up,

I like the guides on your (commercial?) website. Especially the one from yesterday,

http://www.eyeondemand.com/2014/04/01/how-to-chromecast-via-smart-dns/

... where you use a static route to intercept access to google's DNS-servers.

What a clever trick!

Interesting... Is this a different method to the usual by combination of Dynamic DNS on the router, plus a DynDNS provider?

It is "minus a DynDNS provider", that's the point.

Derek sums it up quite well:

This [..] bypasses the entire dyndns service by tricking the router into pinging overplay's IP update URL directly, when it thinks it's pinging a Dyndns service, but it's not. The Dyndns URL that you give it includes all the relevant information (username/password), so the hostname/username/password that you give the router in the separate form fields aren't actually used I believe.

Let me point out that the separate fields as mentioned by Derek are indeed not used, but the user interface (of the fritzbox) does not allow you to leave without filling something in there, so entering some garbage does the trick here.

Complete description is here.

Cheers

Franklan

Hi ovbg,

I like the guides on your (commercial?) website. Especially the one from yesterday,

http://www.eyeondema...-via-smart-dns/

... where you use a static route to intercept access to google's DNS-servers.

What a clever trick!

A good point franklan, it seems you had indeed came up with this idea earlier.

To be honest, I didn't actually take that much notice at the time since my Chromecast was working without any need of this, and I was concentrating more on figuring out why (I had a whole different theory at the time that I was following up). When OverPlay figured out what Google was actually doing inside the Chromecast in respect to DNS lookups, that trick came to me as a way to confuse it for people whose DNS lookup reached Google's before OverPlays.

Perhaps what you had posted was in my subconscious, but I didn't deliberately copy it.

In this event, I give you full credit for coming in with the solution first :)