TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

Hi ovpg,

My router doesn't allow IP tables to be created, so I have to hunt for one that can. In the meantime Krieg, can you access Netflix or any non-German services with your Chromecast?

OK, you've got your router working like a charm, and you want to intercept all accesses to 8.8.8.8 to "mangle" them to your needs.

Yes, the obvious way would be to buy a router that has iptables, but - as you know - fiddling with a running system is like opening a can of worms...

My approach to your situation would be like this:

On the fritz, open Heimnetz/Netzwerk/Netzwerkeinstellungen and klick on the button "ipv4-Routen", and set this up:

post-203283-13953229685508_thumb.jpg

From now on, all access to googles 8.x.x.x net (which contains their DNS-Servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) will not get routed directly to the internet over the Fritzbox's WAN-Port, but it will be routed to a local device in your home with the ip 192.168.9.222. And that device 192.168.9.222 could be a little raspberry that does the "mangling" with iptables... :-)

Cheers

Franklan

I'd go down to the Wertstoffhof and fish out an old Wifi router from the Elektroschrott, then flash its firmware.

I don't quite understand that statement. You can access Netflix UK or US via a PC, laptop, smartphone, Apple etc withoutthe need for a Samsung TV but you will require smartDNS and a subscription to Netflix which can be paid using any credit card UK or German.

I am aware of that, the thing is, I am going to buy a Samsung smart tv anyway, I already have a service to watch live UK tv channels on it, but, sometimes I fancy watching a film or a tv series and for that I HAVE to use my laptop, I already have ways of watching those, but I truly hate it, I like watching stuff on a big tv screen with my family.

So, I am currently looking for the best options to watch films and tv series in original language on my brand new tv because I don't want to keep buying/renting DVDs and I don't want to keep using my little laptop to watch films/series.

For what I've read, the best options to watch films on a Samsung tv might be Netflix or LoveFilm, but I get between 16-25 mb internet speed at home and that might not be enough, I don't mind paying for a subscription, as long as I can pay with a German Mastercard or German Paypal.

I'm also going to start using overplay, so the smart DNS wouldn't be a problem.

The US store often has a wider and more up-to-date content than the UK one. When you change locale they even warn you that you are "now in a different country" so content will be different.

I'm still unsure if I should opt for the US one BUT I mostly watch British stuff and I'm not sure if the US store would be up to date on most British films/series. For example, I hear from friends that they took much longer to include stuff like Doctor Who series or other BBC shows if they haven't yet been broadcast on tv in the US.

I'm still unsure if I should opt for the US one BUT I mostly watch British stuff and I'm not sure if the US store would be up to date on most British films/series. For example, I hear from friends that they took much longer to include stuff like Doctor Who series or other BBC shows if they haven't yet been broadcast on tv in the US.

Remember that you can flip back and forth between US and UK at the overplay site. But it is (or at least was) important to make the choice what home/initial country you want to setup. I noticed that a couple of years ago. I setup my account initially as UK, went through the customisation and preferences phase where you teach it what you like/dislike and you get suggestions. Then one day I flipped the overplay Netflix switch to US and it said something about me being away from my home country and wished me well in my viewing. But it never offered me any suggestions because the US site treated me as a newcomer. The US and UK sites don't appear to share any preferences or likes. At least they didn't when I last popped over to the US site (this was back in 2012ish though, it might be different now).

It doesn't matter which you subscribe to! - You simply change countries at any time to get the content from a different store. Choose the one you are likely to use most for your default, then if you see something you want to watch that's only available in a different country store, simply switch to it.

Remember that you can flip back and forth between US and UK at the overplay site. But it is (or at least was) important to make the choice what home/initial country you want to setup.

It doesn't matter which you subscribe to! - You simply change countries at any time to get the content from a different store. Choose the one you are likely to use most for your default, then if you see something you want to watch that's only available in a different country store, simply switch to it.

Thanks! That's truly useful to know :)

Also, only your "base" Netflix region contains "My List", which is Netflix's Watchlist. By this, I mean when you browse Netflix's library, you may come across films or TV shows that you want to watch later, but not immediately. By adding them to your "My List", you keep a list of the shows you want to come back to.

When you change to other regions, you don't have a "My List" available, but it will return as soon as you get back to your base region.

How easy is it to change, well, if you have a Smart Phone, it is really easy. I recommend installing this on to your Android or iPhone Home screen: See this guide:

(As you can see, this also makes a really handy way to re-register your IP address when it changes each day by your ISP).

Also, don't think when you browse Netflix's films and TV shows, that that is all they have. They have lots more and only offer suggestions. A good place to search for films or TV shows is via Moreflicks. Tip for this site. You can switch off the services you don't want like Hulu, iTunes etc. You can also select which Netflix region you want to search, or leave it at all.

If left at all, it will find films or TV shows from every region. Once you have found the title you are after, click the Netflix logo and it will tell you which regions it can be found on.

I find Canada and Scandinavian countries often have plenty of great films. The UK region is of course great for British TV shows, but not the only one. My wife got hooked on Doc Martin, but only the US region had all seasons.

I still haven't been able to get the iPlayer CC button back, but Netflix and Hulu Plus still work.

My router doesn't allow IP tables to be created, so I have to hunt for one that can. In the meantime Krieg, can you access Netflix or any non-German services with your Chromecast?

Well, BBC iPlayer is back today on Chromecast. The CC button was there, and it streamed from my Chromecast perfectly for catch-up (but not the live streams yet).

So far I have had success with Netflix, Hulu Plus, BBC iPlayer and YouTube. Zattoo and TVPlayer have both said they will be adding Chromecast support soon, but I have not seen it yet.

I'm not saying to run out right away and buy a Chromecast, as it could still be just a fluke on my device until we start to see other people having the same success, but it is promising.

Well, I got my Samsung Smart tv, F series, I'm still using my IPTV box for live stream of UK channels, I got my overplay subscription, I set it up on my tv and managed to watch all the iplayers (BBC, ITV, Channel 5, Five) during the day, successfully and on HD quality, beautiful... The only problem? This morning I had no access to Overplay anymore because of that stupid dynamic IP thing (not overplay's fault) so now I'll have to set it up all over again, it normally wouldn't be a problem but the tv model I have doesn't show you the 'IP settings' menu when you find your internet connection, it took me hours to make it appear, once it does, typing in the smart DNS number is easy. Next step, maybe get Netflix, although I'm worried my internet speed won't be enough for it.

Netflix has a free trial period of one month. If your internet connection really isn't fast enough (but it should be) you can cancel your subscription. They're not one of those services that make it hard to cancel. I've cancelled (and later restarted) twice. You don't sign up for a long contract. You basically commit to paying £5.99/month in advance and stopping (whenever you do it) means you use up the rest of the month you've paid for and then they don't take another payment. Or in the case of a cancelled subscription during the trial month, they don't take anything at all.

Hi Dyana,

so now I'll have to set it up all over again, it normally wouldn't be a problem but the tv model I have doesn't show you the 'IP settings'

No, you do not have to setup the TV again (unless it lost the settings due to a malfunction or being reset due to whatever reason).

Use your Laptop/PC and

1.) Open www.overplay.net

2.) Click on "MyAccount" and log in.

3.) Click on "Smart-DNS". You should see a text like "SmartDNS is enabled for your IP address in <whereeveryouare>.".

4.) wait a minute, switch on your TV and it should work.

This is the manual way to convince overplay that your current IP belongs to an overplay-customer.

For now, you have to do that (Step 1+2+3) every day.

Just try that for the next days, I am convident you do not have to mess around with the TV settings daily.

Feel free to post what kind of router you use, there are ways to automate step 1+2+3.

Cheers

Franklan

Hi Dyana, No, you do not have to setup the TV again (unless it lost the settings due to a malfunction or being reset due to whatever reason).Use your Laptop/PC and 1.) Open www.overplay.net 2.) Click on "MyAccount" and log in.3.) Click on "Smart-DNS". You should see a text like "SmartDNS is enabled for your IP address in <whereeveryouare>.".4.) wait a minute, switch on your TV and it should work. This is the manual way to convince overplay that your current IP belongs to an overplay-customer.For now, you have to do that (Step 1+2+3) every day. Just try that for the next days, I am convident you do not have to mess around with the TV settings daily.Feel free to post what kind of router you use, there are ways to automate step 1+2+3.Cheers Franklan

Yep, it is all back to normal again! Cheers, I didn't know that and before reading your post I went to check my overplay subscription anyway, afterwards I checked my tv settings again and it was all unchanged, went back to the iplayers and they were working again. Now I know why and will remember your advice for next time. Cheers! :D

You can also store a bookmark in your browser (mobile, tablet or PC) along the lines of:

"http://www.overplay.net/api/user/ddwrt/update_smartdns.php?user=<your username>&pass=<your password>"

which turns re-enabling the service into a single click

or goto "https://www.overplay.net/mobile/smartdns" on your smartphone and log in with your Overplay account - whenever you go to this link in future (you won't need to log in again) it will re-enable the service.

There are no other setups or revisions (e.g. on the TV) - nothing there changes

You can also store a bookmark in your browser (mobile, tablet or PC) along the lines of:"http://www.overplay.net/api/user/ddwrt/update_smartdns.php?user=<your username>&pass=<your password>"which turns re-enabling the service into a single clickor goto "https://www.overplay.net/mobile/smartdns" on your smartphone and log in with your Overplay account - whenever you go to this link in future (you won't need to log in again) it will re-enable the service.There are no other setups or revisions (e.g. on the TV) - nothing there changes

Yes, I now have their app on my iphone and I can do it quickly just by opening the app, thanks :)

Another question: I have now been enjoying Netflix for a few days but I realised that they don't really have such a great library, for my taste Amazon Prime Instant Video seems so much better. Have any of you used this service in Germany? My tv has the app, but then again, my amazon account has my German postal address and I would be paying with my German paypal or credit card. I want to test it before cancelling Netflix.

German Amazon Instant video is useless. I already had prime membership in Germany, so I tested it out on my WII, I had to disable smartdns because it kept bringing me to the UK store. After I switched back smartdns on the wii, the wii started a trial prime account for me in the UK, because it's the same sign on credentials. Although I don't have UK payment or UK address on amazon.co.uk, it still started the trial.

Maybe Watchever is better in comparison to German Prime, they certainly have more OV content. Not sure about in comparsion to netflix.

Another question: I have now been enjoying Netflix for a few days but I realised that they don't really have such a great library,

Have you tried Netflix content in other English speaking countries such as Ireland, Canada or even Singapore? - the content varies dramatically between countries. Although I don't use it regularly a friend of mine found much more British TV content in the US store than in the UK...

German Amazon Instant video is useless. I already had prime membership in Germany, so I tested it out on my WII, I had to disable smartdns because it kept bringing me to the UK store. After I switched back smartdns on the wii, the wii started a trial prime account for me in the UK, because it's the same sign on credentials. Although I don't have UK payment or UK address on amazon.co.uk, it still started the trial. Maybe Watchever is better in comparison to German Prime, they certainly have more OV content. Not sure about in comparsion to netflix.

I definitely don't want the German Amazon, I want the UK instant video, I have an account with Amazon UK already because I buy lots of stuff from them, I have smart DNS and a smart tv set to UK, I think I could probably have the trial too, but if I like the service and they need to start taking payment, I wonder if they'd have an issue with me paying from German accounts.

I have netflix uk, they have almost nothing I want, I checked the UK Amazon Instant Video library, they have all the series I want to watch, so, it'd be a better service for me