TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

Thanks for taking the time Franklan, I'll get that sent off and see if meanwhile I can find some instructions for using a no- IP address with my fritzbox,

Hi Sarjsmith,

Ok, quick fix for you...

have a look at the following link thingy, it assumes that your email is "joey@dunlop.org" and your password is "hotzenplotz", feel free to adapt it to your real overplay account data.

Also note that you should change h**p to http, I did that to bullshit this forum software to not change this to a clickable link.

h**p://www.overplay.net/api/user/ddwrt/update_smartdns.php?user=joey@dunlop.org&pass=hotzenplotz

then, go to your fritzbox's setup,

Select Internet/Freigaben/Dynamic DNS

- activate the option "Dynamic DNS benutzen"

- Select "Dynamic DNS-Anbieter" to be "Benutzerdefiniert" ("user defined")

- paste the link (as mentioned above, with your data and h**p changed to http) into the field Update-URL

- Enter "bla" as Domainname

- Enter "blubb" as Benutzername

- Enter "whatever" as Kennwort

and finally click on "Übernehmen".

You're done (without using an external provider)! Whenever your internet provider assigns a new IP address to you, the fritzbox will call that link, and this will activate your overplay account with your current IP.

Screenshot is attached.

It still would be great if you could report your original problem to overplay, and let us know, how overplay's support reacts.

Cheers

Franklan

post-203283-13944531386479_thumb.jpg

An excellent and creative solution...

FYI to avoid the forum software form making your link clicky clicky try surrounding it in quotes: "http://www.toytowngemany.com"

So Franklan.. Ticket started at Overplay as per your guide ( I look like I know what I'm talking about, hope they don't ask any hard questions

Hi Sarjsmith,

When you have set up the quick fix as described in post #323, you should leave the DYNDNS-field within your overplay profile at www.overplay.net empty.

Cheers

Franklan

When you have set up the quick fix as described in post #323, you should leave the DYNDNS-field within your overplay profile at www.overplay.net empty.

You might need to contact their support to make your dyndns field empty again. That's what I had to do. It seems that their page has some bad logic on it. If you've never entered a dyndns hostname, then an empty field is allowed. But once you have entered one, you can't come back and make it empty again. I told them about it a month ago or so but I haven't been back to see if it's been fixed.

Blank dyndns is allowed after enabling it. I just did so so I could use smart DNS when I was visiting in Ireland and I didn't want overplay going to my home dyndns

^^ that's the catch with a lot of these free services, they limit television to a computer. This is fine for some people, and some people will even connect that computer to a television via an HDMI cable. But a lot of people prefer a much more elegant solution. My wife for instance, would not stand for a computer sitting next to the main TV in the living room, or visible cables dragging across the floor.I'm also a bit fussy and prefer a proper, sofa-friendly environment, which means sitting on the big comfortable thing in the living room, with a remote and enjoying all on the big screen. This is where I'm more than happy with Smart DNS. It may cost me the equivalent of one pub beer per month, but hell, one beer is not a lot of money for an entire month of armchair UK television, where everything is as easy as normal TV watching, and in many cases, in HD. That single beer also opens up Zattoo, gives me Australian, New Zealand and American television, without the need to switch VPNs, again, on my main TV and along with my other subs, allows every Netflix region, Hulu Plus and more. It also allows me to use all these services on every device I have, whether that is my Smart TV, gaming console, set-top-box or mobile devices (and that really opens up a lot as well, especially offline downloads with the BBC iPlayer and 4oD)I could save that €3 per month and still watch UK television on a computer with some free hacks like Zenmate, that is comparatively unstable, has more limitations and restricted to watching on a computer, and for people who really don't mind these issues, this is probably a good method. But sometimes spending a little is a little worth a lot.

I completely agree, I HATE watching tv on a laptop or connect one to my tv, so, I have been using the paid IPTV service from MyTVUk, it has worked great with my mini cheap tv but I'm now planning to buy a smart tv, do you have any idea if it could clash with the service offered by MyTvUk? The box connects to the tv through scart cable.

Certainly not a problem to tun them both side by side, but it if your MyTVUk box only connects via SCART then you have a lower quality, analogue SD signal which looks worse, the larger the screen is. With some smartTV apps you also get HD content. BBC iPlayer content on a Samsung TV, for example, is almost indistinguishable from a satellite HD broadcast.

Cheers! That solves my dilemma, I plan to keep my MyTVUK IPTV service for live streaming of UK terrestrial channels and will probably subscribe to overplay's Smart DNS service to try and watch catch up tv through apps on the tv.

A question for obvg!

I read with interest on eyeondemand.com your guide on gettting other apps on to my E series Samsung Smart TV, from other countrys.

You seem to have alot of the English speaking apps that I would want !, looking at the screen shot from your TV ( i guess )

I therefore thought that you could add your app selections in some place on the eyeondemand web site !, I ( or anybody ) could then copy this file(s), upload the files to my TV and bobs your uncle.

I realize this is a bit cheeky, as I should do the hole procedure, changing the Smart DNS location for each app, but if you already have a standard set of English interest apps, it could just make it easier for everybody else.

By the way I re-stalled the ITV player app and it seems to work ok again, maybe I will have to do that each time the ITV player fails!

^^ That is an interesting idea I was previously thinking about, but I decided the back-end would be too much work. The apps would quickly get out of date and I just don't have the time to keep going back to each region and swapping for the latest versions. It would also only work for E-series TVs as the new F-series has security measures to prevent this (not to stop people from this hack, but to prevent dodgy apps to be maliciously installed which could prove to be security holes).

There were a few people on the SamyGo forums who were considering this though, so perhaps they have started a library.

What I always do anyway, is first save them to my computer's hard drive, then bring them over. That way, it is really easy to repeat the process in the future. I also keep a list of versions so all I have to do is once every six months, go through each region, check which versions have been updated, download those, and at the end, move them all quickly across.

Filmon seems to work ok, and free.

I do use FilmOn on my laptop in the odd desperate occasion, but yes, quality is atrocious for the free version and the paid version is about 20 euros a month, that's why I opted for IPtv, the quality I get with Mytvuk is far superior than FilmOn's and I get the channels on my tv monitor and not my laptop.

I haven't bought a smart tv yet but when I do I'll continue using MyTvUk while I try to figure out if I can tweak something in the smart tv to get some UK stuff, but I keep reading that the tweaks only work for a couple of models and they are likely the ones I can't afford, my budget is limited.

I'm also trying top figure out what zattoo is and if I'll need it.

I know ovbg will disagree with me on this, but Zattoo, in my experience anyway, was not that great. Firstly, if you invest in a Samsung Smart TV, you can have all the UK catchup apps available from one remote, and if you desparately need live UK TV, you can get all the BBC channels via the iOS app and on to your TV via AirPlay and an Apple TV. then the only monthly subscription you'd have to pay is the tiny fee for Overplay's SmartDNS.

I probably would have continued with my Zattoo sub if I hadn't experienced regular drops in quality and sound, having said that, I might try it again as we recently changed our ISP so the bandwidth issue may have improved.

This is a very subjective point of view, because personally, I'm not that bothered about being able to watch live broadcast TV.

if you desparately need live UK TV, you can get all the BBC channels via the iOS app and on to your TV via AirPlay and an Apple TV. then the only monthly subscription you'd have to pay is the tiny fee for Overplay's SmartDNS.

Yeah, the tiny fee for the Overplay Smart DNS and "just" an iOS device and an Apple TV box. As we all know, they're free in boxes of Corn Flakes aren't they.

I think Zattoo is excellent, but not without problems. On the Samsung TV it can sometimes drop out, and can be annoying. Zattoo are blaming this on Samsung (I'm not convinced) and are suggesting it will be fixed in a future firmware update. It works fine on Android and Windows platforms. I won't soil my hands on anything with an Apple logo, so can't comment on them.

I can't exclude the problem with Zattoo is not with SmartDNS and am currently investigating this. The real beauty of Zattoo is not only live UK TV (some in HD quality) but that you can watch any programme from the last 7 days too as well as move both future and past content into your own recording storage for longer term retention. It's a shame there is no series link, but I understand this is on the cards. You might say this is the same as catch-up apps, such as iPlayer, but it's not. Not everything broadcast (especially ITV) goes onto their catchup service, and many things are delayed - Saturday's Match-of-the-Day for example does not turn up on iPlayer until Monday, but with Zattoo you can watch it again any time after it is broadcast.

Without doubt, at the moment the iPlayer apps (especially BBC) are more reliable, and work excellently in HD quality on the Samsung, but a mix of Zattoo and iPlayer gives you a more flexible approach to armchair viewing, especially for news and sports (less effective on catchup) and at less than 5€/month Zattoo hardly breaks the bank (3.75€/month if you take out a year in one go)