TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,808 posts in this topic

Hi Paul,

Yes, this is an F-series TV.

Here is a guide on how to change your smart hub to the UK. If you have troubles, let us know, but it is pretty easy.

To configure your TV with Smart DNS so that all the services actually work, is really easy, but here is a guide anyway.

just hold on there Paul, just a quick question. Have you viewed this model TV in the shop and confirmed it actually has a Smart Hub? It has just come to my attention that this model doesn't advertise one.

Which would be odd, since lower and higher model numbers do. But it would be something to check before buying.

The 6170 DOES NOT have the SmartHub. For 60 EUR more (current price 918 EUR for the 55") you can get the 6470 which has it. There is the 6270 in the middle but the 6470 has a dual core processor and it comes with a pair of 3D glasses so it is worth and the difference in price is really irrelevant.

No worries as I have not bought anything yet.

I'll fork out the bit extra and go for the 6470 when I get around to buying things.

At the moment the "home cinema" looks like this -

20140302_152638_zpsa1e00576.jpg

So I have a bit of time to do some research and prices will probably come down a bit.

Hi all, this may have been covered previously in this thread but it was so long that I couldn't be bothered to check!

A couple of years ago I bought a Sabai tech router from the US (shipped to Munich), this router comes pre installed with the StrongVPN firmware which means all you need to do is get a strong vpn account $55 a year and put the passwords etc into the route. Hey presto every wifi connectable device now thinks yor in the UK. This has enabled me to connect my Sky box to the internet and enjoy all the on demand box sets and movies along with BBc iplayer etc etc. I can also watch Netfix through my apple tv and throw anything from my ipad to my tv including BBc Iplayer live TV, ITV PLayer live tv and you can also use an app called FilmOn which has all the live terrestrial channels.

Problem solved!

Though you do need quite a bit of equipment for all of this solution you can just buy the router and enjoy it all from your smart TV :-)

Good morning TTers. I came to this internet thing late in life, in fact I've only had a computer for 2 years. And now it's been brought to my attention that my Samsung smart T.V. has not been used to its full capacity! Is it really as simple as fitting a Samsung dongle thing in the back of the set, to receive internet? Yes, of course I have WLAN, but understood from my (German) supplier that I had to buy a lot more equipment to receive the internet on said Smart T.V. Give me a clue, you all-knowing people. Thank you.

Thanks Krieg, it's UE55D6200. I keep reading about the "F" model, and this obviously isn't. But there is a LAN slot in the back. As I said, I'm a (old) novice at this.

That model seems to have the SmartHub, so everything you have to do is plugging it to the Internet. The TV does not seem to include WLAN, so you will have to either connect it via a LAN cable directly to the TV if your router is not that far or buy a WLAN dongle, you can buy the official SAMSUNG one for around 30 EUR from Amazon.

And it seems that your TV can be hacked to change its country, so you could change it to the UK App Store.

... The TV does not seem to include WLAN, so you will have to either connect it via a LAN cable directly to the TV if your router is not that far or buy a WLAN dongle, you can buy the official SAMSUNG one for around 30 EUR from Amazon ...

A better solution than WLAN, especially if your Internet connection can be slow, would be to extend your router wired LAN reach if necessary by using powerline adapters. IMO the best are from Devolo and are available from stacks of outlets in Germany, naturally (it being a German company).

Thanks to K and AB for the fast response. I honestly didn't know it could be that simple. Off now to see if I can obtain said dongle. Thanks again, both of you.

Hi Ray,

From what I can see, your model does indeed have a Smart Hub (which allows apps to be installed to stream additional services via the Internet).

It also has an Ethernet port (that LAN slot you spoke of), which allows a cable to be connected to your TV that goes to the Internet. If you have the opportunity to connect your TV directly to your Internet Router (where your telephone line usually comes in), then this would be the best option. 1) it will be cheaper, and 2) it will work better than the Wifi Dongle.

If you choose to buy the WiFi dongle, I believe the Samsung ones are quite expensive, but perhaps a 3rd party solution will work (anyone know anything there?).

AncientBrit's idea of powerline adapters is also excellent. I have had medium success with them, but other people I know have had excellent success. Basically, they just use your power sockets to send the Internet signal around the home.

Either of the two ways will get you selected German apps to work on the TV. If you want German apps, then stop right here.

If you want UK apps, you will need to do a few more things.

1) You will need to change the app store to the UK one, which is actually quite easy (if a bit fiddly). Basically, it is just a secret remote key sequence.

2) This will get you UK apps, but I am not sure how many will still work with the D-series as it is an older TV. I suspect the BBC iPlayer will be fine, but I can't be certain.

3) You will need a fast enough Internet connection. Can I ask how fast your Internet is, and what supplier you go through?

4) You will then also need an unblocking service. We tend to recommend here OverPlay, and they will charge approx €3,70 per month on a monthly basis (so you can quit anytime with no contract), or something like €3 per month if you book a whole year in one go. (this is only needed to unblock UK television. If you want the German apps, you don't this)

5) There is a little bit of faffing around to set it up on the Internet, but it is quite easy.

Your UK apps on your Samsung TV should then work.

Now, as you are new to the Internet, this may all sound quite a bit overwhelming, and don't worry (most) or us here are pretty patient, and we can help you out. But if you do have a friend or family member that is more tech savvy, it may pay to have them come around for dinner one evening and help you set it all up. Also, we can help out heaps here if you run into trouble.

Thanks OBVQ, I had a slight suspicion there would be more to it. Of course, I want it for the UK apps, what with all this satellite movement s..t taking place. And even though I have Sky, it's the FTA I can't get, anymore. I took lots of advice from other TTers, downloaded ZenMate, AdBlocker,etc, and although it worked perfectly, I'm an old school "sit on the sofa" kind of guy, and the Frau gets p'd off when I keep pushing the comp towards the TV. But I'll give the dongle a go as the router is too far away. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

If you choose to buy the WiFi dongle, I believe the Samsung ones are quite expensive, but perhaps a 3rd party solution will work (anyone know anything there?).

I don't know about Samsung TV dongles, but I know that my sister has a Smart 22" LG TV and bought a cheapo dongle on ebay. It worked on a laptop, but wouldn't work on the TV. I think it gave some kind of incompatible message. When she switched to the official LG dongle it worked right away. Maybe Samsung aren't so strict, but maybe they are.

Hi Ray,

I'd suggest to set everything up with a long ethernet cable in the beginning, one source of problems less.

Once it is working fine, use this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MEDION-LIFE-P89137-MD-86738-WLAN-Verstarker-802-11-b-g-n-2-4GHz-WLAN-Adapter-/350975297989?pt=DE_Computing_Booster_Extender_Antennen&hash=item51b7c209c5#ht_2806wt_1138

You configurate that little critter to log into your WLAN, and attach the TV (with a cat cable) to it. Works smoothly (I own one of these, yes, it works)

It is less expensive than the original samsung dongle, and - if ever your samsung dies - you can reuse it for other purposes or sell it for about the same price on ebay.

Cheers

Franklan

Thanks OBVQ, I had a slight suspicion there would be more to it. Of course, I want it for the UK apps, what with all this satellite movement s..t taking place. And even though I have Sky, it's the FTA I can't get, anymore. I took lots of advice from other TTers, downloaded ZenMate, AdBlocker,etc, and although it worked perfectly, I'm an old school "sit on the sofa" kind of guy, and the Frau gets p'd off when I keep pushing the comp towards the TV. But I'll give the dongle a go as the router is too far away. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Hi Ray,

Year, there is a bit more to it, but it isn't as complex as it sounds. That said, if you are new to the Internet, it may be. We can help.

The result would be the ability to watch UK television on your TV, the way it was meant to be, and that is also how I like to do it as well ;) So, don't feel guilty about that.

Once it is all set up, it should work quite smoothly, but I must warn you, my older ES-series TV is quite slow and sluggish when using the Smart Hub, and your D-series is even older. It may be worth it to invest in something a bit more modern. The cheapest solution there is the Now TV box from Sky. You will have to ask a friend or relative from the UK to send it to you (as Sky doesn't send to Germany), but it costs only £10 and you don't need a subscription for FTA catch-up (it has BBC iPlayer, 4oD (for channel 4) and Demand 5, with ITV Player coming later this year). The catch with this box is that you need to make the Smart DNS (unblocking) config change in your router - the box that connects to the Internet. This is a tad more complicated and some routers don't support this. But if it interests you, then let us know your router model.

Likewise, an alternate option is this Samsung Blu-Ray Player. It costs around €111 at Amazon, but you may find it cheaper in your local Saturn or Media Markt. You can buy locally and you can install the Smart DNS directly in the Blu-Ray player. This will have a faster user interface than your older D-series TV, and offer you BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 with built-in WiFi (no need of the dongle).

There are plenty of other options, so as you can see, there will be a solution for you. But lets start with the TV first as you already own it.

A wired network connection to the TV is much to be preferred. Wireless connectivity for real-time streaming can be very unreliable, and requires you to be pretty close to the router for a strong signal, without other sources of interruption (adjacent wireless networks, microwave ovens, wireless devices such as weather stations etc)

The powerline adapter is generally the better way to go if you don't have a direct network cable near to your TV, and in many cases they don't need to be expensive. I use a cheap no-name pair from Aldi (about 35€) with total success, although I know from the experience of others it can depend on the your house power cabling and sources of interference on your power grid. The more expensive adapters, while advertising higher speeds (which is not especially necessary) can be ore reliable in difficult cabling situations.

My TV corner has TV, Blu-ray player, Sky+, Freesat, XBox and Wii all connected to the internet, with ad-hoc connections to a media player too, so I also need a hub/switch to distribute the network to the different devices.