TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, theGman said:

Booyah. I guess I'll see you back here in another 2 years dj.

Yes.  I can use you as a reminder, rather than set one in my calendar! :) 

If you are looking for the cheapest DSL deals besides the usual stuff from check24 et al. I would always take a look at remoters.de and obocom.de. They often have exceptional deals with lots of cashback. (Though I do not recommend 24 months contracts ...)

4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I will look to change my DSL in 3 months

Does your notice period end in 3 months or does the minimum term? I would always let the new ISP handle the switchover to avoid trouble with loss of service or double payment. So I would make the new deal about 1 months before the end of the notice period to give the new ISP enough time to handle things.

27 minutes ago, sneaker said:

Does your notice period end in 3 months or does the minimum term? I would always let the new ISP handle the switchover to avoid trouble with loss of service or double payment. So I would make the new deal about 1 months before the end of the notice period to give the new ISP enough time to handle things.

I meant that in ~3 months I need to give 3 months notice.  And yes, we normally get the new provider to do this and have learnt not to leave it to the last minute!

Although the last twice we have still had loss of service for several days because the messed up the switch over! (Seems to be a problem going to/from O2).

Firestick the way to go

I have been paying for filmon for yrs as I didn't know you could accurately watch it for free using Kodi
No dish needed

Buy a firestick and download kodi on it here how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t_rX78Cug&list=PLzmmB6KkeqXHUwCr8OdTVCo3emlMyZY1n&index=2&t=58s

Once this is done you download an add on I use 2  (Numbers and Deceit) one for film and movies and one for UK TV and sky news etc
Deceit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0L2tSVsWE&list=PLzmmB6KkeqXHUwCr8OdTVCo3emlMyZY1n&index=8&t=28s

Numbers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4sl7D8qT8&t=65s

So worth it enjoy

Following on from eileenro's post, I can confirm that for accessing UK TV an Amazon Fire stick does the job beautifully, I setup my 2nd Generation model with Overplay's SmartDNS in conjunction with No-IP (automatic IP updating), once I'd done that, I switched our Amazon app store to the UK and grabbed the necessary on-demand and live TV apps (All4, BBC iPlayer, TVPlayer etc.) About 40 Euros for the stick, and then 5€ a month for Overplay. Well worth it. (Stay away from Kodi if you're worried about the legality of streaming copyrighted content)

Edit: I'm happy to give anyone who wants to try this tips on getting it setup. Send me a DM.

Advanced issues found

37 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Following on from eileenro's post, I can confirm that for accessing UK TV an Amazon Fire stick does the job beautifully, I setup my 2nd Generation model with Overplay's SmartDNS in conjunction with No-IP (automatic IP updating), once I'd done that, I switched our Amazon app store to the UK and grabbed the necessary on-demand and live TV apps (All4, BBC iPlayer, TVPlayer etc.) About 40 Euros for the stick, and then 5€ a month for Overplay. Well worth it. (Stay away from Kodi if you're worried about the legality of streaming copyrighted content)

Edit: I'm happy to give anyone who wants to try this tips on getting it setup. Send me a DM.

Anyone using Kodi should use a VPN I have used it for years..I use expressvpn this also let me what USA netflix which you can't with a lot of the other VPNs

1 minute ago, eileenro said:

only found expressvpn to work

Why do you want another if that one is working?

She has posted the link hoping that someone will subscibe from it and she gets 30 days free.... 

As for US Netflix, I beleive one of the uk independant companies that I resell for have a US server that is stable for Netflix etc... But its not cheap at 20GBP per month.