TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

Oops, I missed the last parts of the discussion there before Christmas.

@Sir Percy B thanks for the sideloading tips, incase I need them in the future.

So I got the AFTV stick on the 24th and have been using it over the holiday. I'm pretty damn pleased so far. I personally find it very fast and smooth and is a breeze to use with the remote. Exactly what I wanted.

For info, I set it up initially with my German Amazon account. This was how it was delivered and it had the German apps already prepared (ARD etc.). Obviously, at this time, I was not able to install any UK apps. I then basically did as advised by @Krieg. On the Amazon.de page I changed my location to the UK. This was easy for me. I have a UK address and credit card set up which I use relatively often on Amazon.co.uk, so I was already good to go.*

I actually had a problem initially with the stick not connecting to Amazon servers, the online advice was to do a factory reset. So I did this at the time of switching my account from DE to UK. Then I did the stick set-up again. This time everything was linked to a UK account and I was able to install all the UK apps. Great. Note: the German apps were all available too. They appeared under "My Apps" and were ready to download again saying "you already own this". So I am now on a UK account but at the same time able to use all the German apps. Best of both worlds.

I was not an Amazon prime member. I have just got a 30 day trial on the UK amazon so I'll be leaving my country location as the UK for now. I have no reason to switch back. The kindle selection is better in the UK too. However, I have done this before in the past and eventually Amazon get wind of my real situation and switch my account back to DE. But this will be fine, and it looks like it should be no problem with regards to the UK apps. Just like it was no problem for the DE apps. Cheers all.

*just for completeness. I set my Getflix smartdns to the use the UK for Amazon Prime.

For anyone else that has the AFTV stick (and doesn't already know about it yet) I can highly recommend the TVPlayer app. It's freeview over the internet. So the 30 odd free TV channels all live and for free. As far as I can tell this is the "official" freewview app.

Does it still work without a VPN Gman? The Android App has been updated and now says 'Not supported in your region' unless you trick it with a VPN (I Don't have a smart-dns setup to check that).

The Kodi plugin also now crashes without a VPN.

Seen this floating about....

IMPORTANT FOR FIRESTICK USERS

AMAZON MAY BE ATTEMPTING TO BLOCK ANY INSTALLS OF APPS THAT ARE NOT FROM THERE STORE OR APPS THAT MAY BE USED FOR TV ETC.
THIS IS THE SAME FOR PAID SERVICES AND FREE APPS

SUPPOSED TO BE FOR THE NEW 4K FIRESTICK BUT JUST TO MAKE SURE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

It is RUMORED that the Mighty Amazon are blocking downloads on the latest 4K version of the Firestick ! This includes any player, perfect player etc or smart ipeeeteeeveee and others as well as as k#di too

27 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Does it still work without a VPN Gman? The Android App has been updated and now says 'Not supported in your region' unless you trick it with a VPN (I Don't have a smart-dns setup to check that).

The Kodi plugin also now crashes without a VPN.

Yes, to use it you need a VPN or SmartDNS. I got both the AFTV app and android app from the Amazon app store. For that, I also needed to make sure that my amazon account was set as UK (see previous discussion in this thread).

Cannot see'em blocking the iplayer, ITV palyer etc etc on Firestick

A lot of people, would be off to buy a NOWTV box, which still has these apps, KO*D* box sales would go through the roof

Re: Blocking, I think this rumour started because of the bug reported in this article. Amazon says it wasn't intentional. 

Personally I think that given how cheap the ATV sticks and boxes are it's worth a punt anyway.

I've decommissioned my fritzbox 7362sl and replaced with a used (€8 shipped) 7412 in bridge mode + a small travel router which runs openwrt.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B073TSK26W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

The router creates the pppoe connection to my ISP, so no double NAT.

I use access points which support vlans and have a managed switch between router and access points and wired Lan.

This configuration allows me to set up a vlan especially for getflix so only those devices that need smart DNS use it. All the Lan points behind the TV for example use smart DNS.

As my access points support vlans I can create an ssid/vlan for smart DNS should I need to watch something on a mobile device, otherwise they connect to the normal vlan which just uses cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS. 

I use the same technique to force my kids devices to use opendns for their lookups (and within openwrt I force the usage of Google etc. Safe search and restricted YouTube).

I also used the technique described by krieg to install BBC etc. from amazon.co.uk (£1 voucher) but it was a couple of years ago. I have the box as back then you needed it if you wanted wired Lan.

This is not the right forum for this question, but people on it are probably knowledgeable on the topic...

I am tidying up the DSL wiring in the house (since it was causing a lot of problems) and I need to correctly connect two ISDN telephone cables (not Cat 5 - all wire are red coloured with black dashes to code them). I have limited space since it will be behind a cable duct access point. So I need a small "punch down" block to connect the two "DSL" wires.

Ideally I'd run in a new cable, without need of connectors, but the cables are tight in the ducts they won't come out, so I'm having to re-purpose old ISDN cables.

Could someone point me to the right page on Conrad, an eBay supplier or even Amazon to get these kinds of parts.

I can normally work out these things, but I keep getting ethernet connectors or great big connection boxes.

Cheers,

RT 

I bought those from here. I can highly recommend such "scotchloks" for DSL connections. There is practically no quality loss of the connection and they are easy to install and difficult to destroy (impossible to disconnect them by accident). Only downside is they are 1 time use only. To disconnect you have to cut ~1.5cm cable. Do NOT remove the red insulation with the black dashes on them when using scotch loks, only the outer mantle.

So, I am coming up to my biennial ISP change, and this time around the best deal I can get is from Telekom. This will be the first time that I am with them and I just want to check in advanced of any pitfalls.

Firstly, is getting an IPv4 address a problem? (I had this problem with KD). As long as I can get SmartDNS running on this connection, I'll be happy. So I am just asking if there are any Telekom specific problems with regards to setting up SmartDNS?

Secondly, the only hardware I own is a TP-Link TL-WR841ND (my current Fritzbox is rented). So I need a modem/router. Any recommendations better than just renting a Speedport Smart 3 from Telekom? I am assuming I can set up SmartDNS on the Speedport Smart 3 (if I end up going with that)?

Thirdly, I can get Magenta TV. Will this only work if I get the Speedport from Telekom? Or will other routers work?

You get a dynamic public IPv4 address (+IPv6) from Telekom. So no (Telekom specific) problems with SmartDNS or similar services.

About routers:

- MagentaTV does work with routers other than Speedport and Fritz!Box but not all of them. The TP-Link TL-WR841ND is probably one of them. Problem is TP-Link is one of those brands that changes the hardware/software occasionally but not the model number so it's hard to get definite information about the stock firmware.

- What kind of connection did you order? DSL with <= 100 Mbps? Then the older Speedport Smart (1) and Smart 2 are sufficient (30 - 60 Euro on ebay). Both are very stable. The Smart 2 supports up to 250 Mbps (VDSL2 35b), the Smart (1) only 100 Mbps (VDSL2 17a). Only thing you really miss out on is the support for the new Telekom Wifi Mesh system in case you are interested in those kind of thing. Good thing about the Smart series is they also have a bridge/modem mode for better support for routers behind it.

Otherwise you could rent a Fritzbox 7590 for 3.50 Euro a month from routermiete.de. Fritz!box 7362 SL is very cheap on ebay if you don't mind the firmware support ending this year. Sometimes you can get a 7520 relatively cheap (60~70 Euro) on ebay. 7520 has a good DSL modem with support for up to 250 Mbps, only the wifi antennas aren't very good so the reach is a bit limited. It's one of the newer models so firmware support will probably last several years. (7590, 7530, 7520: VDSL2 35b; 7362 SL: VDSL2 17a)

I am using Telekom Magenta 100/40 with a Fritz Box 7490. All works well (especially after I used Scotchloks to improve the incoming DSL quality). I also use the Fritz wifi Mesh feature with a couple of Fritz powerline-connected wifi access points. The Mesh works generally really well. Consistent, no hassle, wifi coverage through the house. And once I re-routed the DSL cable, the powerline no longer interferes with the DSL signal (it was f*cking nightmare up until then).

Last year, when the BBC seemed to figure out people were using SmartDNS, I switched to VPN - I settled on ExpressVPN. At the same time I had upgraded to 100mbs download, so the loss in bandwidth, due to the VPN, was not impactful. We used our old TP-Link 841N for the VPN service.

Once I trusted the VPN, I connected our Sky+ box to it. After that, we've never looked back. We can download anything we want from BBC, ITV, Ch4, Sky etc etc in full HD and then watch through the Sky box planner - no buffering, can rewind, fast forward through the ads etc. Only use iPlayer for live TV (even got Wimbledon on full UHD!).

So far, I am pleased with ExpressVPN. So much so, that I bought, on eBay, one of the listed routers they support with their customised (DD-WRT) firmware. This makes server switching much, much, easier (yes, still have to do that occasionally) and it will cut the internet connection if it detects the VPN is down and only restore once it is back up  - this is a big feature for me. It also sustains much higher speeds through the VPN than the old TP-Link box. I bought an Asus RTAC87U - ugly but effective,

3 hours ago, sneaker said:

You get a dynamic public IPv4 address (+IPv6) from Telekom. So no (Telekom specific) problems with SmartDNS or similar services.

Great news, thanks.

3 hours ago, sneaker said:

About routers:

- MagentaTV does work with routers other than Speedport and Fritz!Box but not all of them. The TP-Link TL-WR841ND is probably one of them. Problem is TP-Link is one of those brands that changes the hardware/software occasionally but not the model number so it's hard to get definite information about the stock firmware.

- What kind of connection did you order? DSL with <= 100 Mbps? Then the older Speedport Smart (1) and Smart 2 are sufficient (30 - 60 Euro on ebay). Both are very stable. The Smart 2 supports up to 250 Mbps (VDSL2 35b), the Smart (1) only 100 Mbps (VDSL2 17a). Only thing you really miss out on is the support for the new Telekom Wifi Mesh system in case you are interested in those kind of thing. Good thing about the Smart series is they also have a bridge/modem mode for better support for routers behind it.

Otherwise you could rent a Fritzbox 7590 for 3.50 Euro a month from routermiete.de. Fritz!box 7362 SL is very cheap on ebay if you don't mind the firmware support ending this year. Sometimes you can get a 7520 relatively cheap (60~70 Euro) on ebay. 7520 has a good DSL modem with support for up to 250 Mbps, only the wifi antennas aren't very good so the reach is a bit limited. It's one of the newer models so firmware support will probably last several years. (7590, 7530, 7520: VDSL2 35b; 7362 SL: VDSL2 17a)

Great info, thanks. It is indeed "only" a 50Mbps connection...and you are right...there are cheaper versions even on Amazon. The Speedport W724V is only €54 and seems to support TV too. And if it has a bridge mode like the smart then even better and I have the back up TP-Link. Actually the Speedport Smart 3 is only €112 new and so is already cheaper than 24 months of renting. Assuming I can use the Smart 3 when I switch again in 2 years than I would consider the investment.

I didn't realise that MagentaTV also works on Fritzbox. I'm really happy with my (rented) Fritzbox 7490 so if I can get one of those (or 7520) on eBay then yea, maybe I could go for that.

2 hours ago, RockThrust said:

I am using Telekom Magenta 100/40 with a Fritz Box 7490. All works well (especially after I used Scotchloks to improve the incoming DSL quality). I also use the Fritz wifi Mesh feature with a couple of Fritz powerline-connected wifi access points. The Mesh works generally really well. Consistent, no hassle, wifi coverage through the house. And once I re-routed the DSL cable, the powerline no longer interferes with the DSL signal (it was f*cking nightmare up until then).

Last year, when the BBC seemed to figure out people were using SmartDNS, I switched to VPN - I settled on ExpressVPN. At the same time I had upgraded to 100mbs download, so the loss in bandwidth, due to the VPN, was not impactful. We used our old TP-Link 841N for the VPN service.

Once I trusted the VPN, I connected our Sky+ box to it. After that, we've never looked back. We can download anything we want from BBC, ITV, Ch4, Sky etc etc in full HD and then watch through the Sky box planner - no buffering, can rewind, fast forward through the ads etc. Only use iPlayer for live TV (even got Wimbledon on full UHD!).

So far, I am pleased with ExpressVPN. So much so, that I bought, on eBay, one of the listed routers they support with their customised (DD-WRT) firmware. This makes server switching much, much, easier (yes, still have to do that occasionally) and it will cut the internet connection if it detects the VPN is down and only restore once it is back up  - this is a big feature for me. It also sustains much higher speeds through the VPN than the old TP-Link box. I bought an Asus RTAC87U - ugly but effective,

I have one Fritz access point already and it works really well. I have Getflix SmartDNS and it's still working really well. I have lifetime membership so I'm happy to keep using it until it breaks.

Cheers peeps.

4 hours ago, theGman said:

he Speedport W724V is only €54 and seems to support TV too. And if it has a bridge mode

It doesn't. The price difference to the Smart (1) is so little I wouldn't buy a W724V or older.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Telekom-Router-Speedport-Smart-40294918/133122598937

Of course if you are already used to and happy with Fritz and also have a Fritz AccessPoint it would probably make sense to go for the 7520 or buy/rent the 7590.

22 hours ago, theGman said:

So, I am coming up to my biennial ISP change, and this time around the best deal I can get is from Telekom. This will be the first time that I am with them and I just want to check in advanced of any pitfalls.

Firstly, is getting an IPv4 address a problem? (I had this problem with KD). As long as I can get SmartDNS running on this connection, I'll be happy. So I am just asking if there are any Telekom specific problems with regards to setting up SmartDNS?

Secondly, the only hardware I own is a TP-Link TL-WR841ND (my current Fritzbox is rented). So I need a modem/router. Any recommendations better than just renting a Speedport Smart 3 from Telekom? I am assuming I can set up SmartDNS on the Speedport Smart 3 (if I end up going with that)?

Thirdly, I can get Magenta TV. Will this only work if I get the Speedport from Telekom? Or will other routers work?

I have to say thanks for asking this.

I will look to change my DSL in 3 months, and have also noticed that at the moment Telekom is cheapest and had the same questions!

11 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I have to say thanks for asking this.

I will look to change my DSL in 3 months, and have also noticed that at the moment Telekom is cheapest and had the same questions!

Booyah. I guess I'll see you back here in another 2 years dj.