TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

yeah well

I got the AFTV box not stick.

I have played with a friends stick!!, and find it to be slow to operate, the box is much faster, but is no longer sold anymore.

If you do not really need  the Amazon Store/services, then I would look to buy a more expensive Android box, to get a faster and hence better experience.

Even NowTV, was a faster and nicer experance than the AFTV stick, and is about the same price - either system is very easy to setup. 

just saying

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

yeah well

I got the AFTV box not stick.

I have played with a friends stick!!, and find it to be slow to operate, the box is much faster, but is no longer sold anymore.

If you do not really need  the Amazon Store/services, then I would look to buy a more expensive Android box, to get a faster and hence better experience.

Even NowTV, was a faster and nicer experance than the AFTV stick, and is about the same price - either system is very easy to setup. 

just saying

You probably tried the original stick, that was indeed a bit slow, we used to have one but it was replaced when the remote control died and a replacement costed more than getting a whole new package. 

The second generation, the one it is in promotion right now for 25 EUR is quite OK.   I have 3 sticks at home and one box first generation, the sticks are as fast as the box.

Just make sure you are buying a second generation and not a first generation.

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You probably tried the original stick, that was indeed a bit slow, we used to have one but it was replaced when the remote control died and a replacement costed more than getting a whole new package. 

The second generation, the one it is in promotion right now for 25 EUR is quite OK.   I have 3 sticks at home and one box first generation, the sticks are as fast as the box.

Just make sure you are buying a second generation and not a first generation.

I think you will find they are on there 3rd generation by now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV

I played with a second gen version

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I think you will find they are on there 3rd generation by now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV

Wrong again.

The 3th generation is the 4K version which is much more expensive and not the 25 EUR in promotion right now.

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I played with a second gen version

If you say so.   But by now we know you do not have much idea.   The 2nd generation is OK, it is not slow at all.  It is as snappy as the old boxes.

The 3rd generation is VERY fast.   

Interesting points. The main reason I want to get one is because right now I am using my PS4 which does not have the ITV app and I would like a proper remote. But it is fast and smooth so I am hoping that the AFTV stick is not too slow. But for €25 I'll give it a go anyhow.

Chromecast never really worked properly for me (although I haven't tried in a while), and using my phone as a remote was not convenient.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

Wrong again.

The 3th generation is the 4K version which is much more expensive and not the 25 EUR in promotion right now.

If you say so.   But by now we know you do not have much idea.   The 2nd generation is OK, it is not slow at all.  It is as snappy as the old boxes.

The 3rd generation is VERY fast.   

I compared the 2nd generation box ( which I have 4K ), to the 2nd generation stick ( a friend has ), and found the stick much slower, maybe you did not notice because you only have the first generation box, or your brain is slower and cannot notice any difference. In any case you have no point because you have not compared the same things I did.

If I had the choice, I would not buy the 2nd gen fire stick @25 euro, I would go for the 3rd gen stick @ 35 euro, as the processor is of the same speed as the 2nd gen AFTV box..

21 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I compared the 2nd generation box ( which I have 4K ), to the 2nd generation stick ( a friend has ), and found the stick much slower, maybe you did not notice because you only have the first generation box, or your brain is slower and cannot notice any difference.

Maybe my brain is slow.  But you clearly do not know how to read.  I said I have THREE of those second generation sticks.

If I had the choice, I would not buy the 2nd gen fire stick @25 euro, I would go for the 3rd gen stick @ 35 euro, as the processor is of the same speed as the 2nd gen AFTV box..

LOL.  WRONG again.  It seems you do not get tired of being wrong.  The 3rd generation stick SOC is the MTK8695 and the 2nd generation box' SOC is the MTK8173C.   They don't even have the same clock speed, just in case you think comparing clock speed between two different SOCs make any sense.

And of course I would take instead a 3th generation for 35 EUR instead as well.  Too bad they cost 60 EUR right now.    So, wrong again and again and again.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Maybe my brain is slow.  But you clearly do not know how to read.  I said I have THREE of those second generation sticks.

LOL.  WRONG again.  It seems you do not get tired of being wrong.  The 3rd generation stick SOC is the MTK8695 and the 2nd generation box' SOC is the MTK8173C.   They don't even have the same clock speed, just in case you think comparing clock speed between two different SOCs make any sense.

But you seem unable to read and understand what you have written, please try to be clearer it helps everybody reading this

You originally said that that you have 3 sticks, without out saying which generation, then you  said the 3rd generation is much faster ( you said "The 3rd generation is VERY fast" ) than the 2nd generation - so I assumed you had one.

Now you are saying, you only have the3 x 2nd generation, which probably means you are just making things up without ever having tried the 3rd gen - which I guess is normal for you.

anyway

I have found that the generally the faster the processor speed ( given the same OS/memory  etc ), will make the box faster - the 2nd gen box has a 1.3 processor while the 3rd gen box has a 1.7 clocked processor  ( 2nd gen AFTV has a 1.7 processor ).  I am sorry I have to point the obvious out  to you.  

and again, I would buy the 3rd generation, because it has the faster processor and it only 10 euro more

14 minutes ago, yesterday said:

You originally said that that you have 3 sticks, without out saying which generation,

This is that I said:

"The second generation, the one it is in promotion right now for 25 EUR is quite OK.   I have 3 sticks at home and one box first generation, the sticks are as fast as the box. "

So who is the one who can't read?

then you  said the 3rd generation is much faster ( you said "The 3rd generation is VERY fast" ) than the 2nd generation - so I assumed you had one.

Now you are saying, you only have the3 x 2nd generation, which probably means you are just making things up without ever having tried the 3rd gen - which I guess is normal for you.

anyway

I have found that the generally the faster the processor speed ( given the same OS/memory  etc ), will make the box faster - the 2nd gen box has a 1.3 processor while the 3rd gen box has a 1.7 clocked processor  ( 2nd gen AFTV has a 1.7 processor ).  I am sorry I have to point the obvious out  to you.  

This is comedy.   I even told you it does not make sense to compare clock speed of different SOCs.   Here you do it again.

And then as usual wrong again.  The second generation box SOC has 4 cores, 2 @ 2GHz and 2 @ 1.6 GHz.    The 3 generation stick has 4 cores all 4 @ 1.7 GHz.   So as you can see they are not even clocked at the same speed.   Not like that is a reasonable way of comparing them though.

and again, I would buy the 3rd generation, because it has the faster processor and it only 10 euro more

Wrong again.  Talking about not knowing how to read.   The 3rd generation stick costs 60 EUR.    Explain how 60 - 25 = 10.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

And this is the price historial of the stick 3rd generation: 

https://de.camelcamelcamel.com/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-Ultra-mit-neuen-Alexa-Sprachfernbedienung/product/B079QHMFWC

It has never been down to 35 EUR.   It has always cost 60 EUR, except for the Cyber Week days when it went down to 40 EUR for a couple of weeks.

So more lies.

So afternoon ping pong game starts

Krieg do not use your useless, expensive and hope links, when you can buy it from Amazon direct  for 35 euro

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QHML21/ref=twister_B07GZFM1ZM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

maybe you are man enough to apologize, for your crap options and ill informed views, maybe not 

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Krieg do not use your useless, expensive and hope links, when you can buy it from Amazon direct  for 35 euro

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QHML21/ref=twister_B07GZFM1ZM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry, I live in DEUTSCHLAND, so importing it from the USA will be a pain in the butt and it will take too long to come here.

You can't even read, the price your link is not in EURO, it is in US dollars.

Here it is the link to the GERMAN store:

https://www.amazon.de/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-Ultra-Hd-Alexa-Sprachfernbedienung/dp/B079QHMFWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545393954&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+stick+4k

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Sorry, I live in DEUTSCHLAND, so importing it from the USA will be a pain in the butt and it will take too long to come here.

You can't even read, the price your link is not in EURO, it is in US dollars.

Here it is the link to the GERMAN store:

https://www.amazon.de/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-Ultra-Hd-Alexa-Sprachfernbedienung/dp/B079QHMFWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545393954&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+stick+4k

yes, I accept sorry, I was wrong

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

It is not difficult.   Basically you have to change your Amazon account to UK for a while.   You do this by changing your residence country to UK and entering any UK address in your profile.   Then you might proceed to install the apps from the Amazon Store.  Once you have installed all the apps you need you can change back your profile to a DE address.

Actually, the simplest way is if you have the UK apps on an Android device or an iphone then simply transfer them from there. There's no need to set up UK account or buy evouchers.

Regardless of which phone/tablet you have,  you will need to turn on 'ADB bugging' and 'Allow apps from unknown sources' under the developer options on the firestick.

Then download from the app store 'apps2fire' for android or 'cetusPlay' for iphone. CetusPlay is also available for Android but I've only used apps2fire.

As long as the android/iphone device is on the same network as the firestick then your good to go.

@gman I would suggest this way for yourself especially if you have a DE prime account. You cannot have a DE prime account on a UK registered Firestick but using the method above rolls everything into one where you can watch the Videos from Amazon's library.

What you wrote above @Krieg won't work, the only way as you later described is to use your German account to purchase an evoucher for £1.00 and then add that to a new UK account with a dummy address.

Of course that would not be necessary if you already have a UK amazon account with a UK credit card. In addition you mentioned switching back to DE, you cannot do this as it will delete the UK channels and reload the German apps.

8 hours ago, yesterday said:

Regardless of speed, NowTV was terrible with the picture quality falling well short of the quality you get on the Firestick. I also have an MSI box which since buying several Firesticks is now redundant, the interface just wasn't user friendly and unless you're a real couch potato, I wouldn't even bother, stick with the Firestick especially for 25 euros.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

Actually, the simplest way is if you have the UK apps on an Android device or an iphone then simply transfer them from there. There's no need to set up UK account or buy evouchers.

Regardless of which phone/tablet you have,  you will need to turn on 'ADB bugging' and 'Allow apps from unknown sources' under the developer options on the firestick.

Then download from the app store 'apps2fire' for android or 'cetusPlay' for iphone. CetusPlay is also available for Android but I've only used apps2fire.

As long as the android/iphone device is on the same network as the firestick then your good to go.

Sideloading will let you install the apps but you won't receive automatic updates.  Therefore it it not my preferred way when there is an alternative.  For example I use sideloading for Kodi because I couldn't find any better way.

@gman I would suggest this way for yourself especially if you have a DE prime account. You cannot have a DE prime account on a UK registered Firestick but using the method above rolls everything into one where you can watch the Videos from Amazon's library.

Of course you can have the UK app in DE.  What it is important is that you "bought" the app from a UK account.  I've been using it in this way for very long.

What you wrote above @Krieg won't work, the only way as you later described is to use your German account to purchase an evoucher for £1.00 and then add that to a new UK account with a dummy address.

Why would you want another account when you can do everything with one account.  And why are you accusing me of lying?   Have you at least tried?  I am talking about something I actually did,  not just Google Fu.

Actually, if you Google it you confirm what I said:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=dDsdXLqFFe6orgT8xZiAAw&q=install+iplayer+on+german+fire+tv&btnK=Google+Search&oq=install+iplayer+on+german+fire+tv&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l2.884.10742..10915...0.0..3.1093.11422.0j7j12j4j2j1j4j1...2..0...1..gws-wiz....0..0j35i39j0i131j0i10j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i160.LxGtph5Hjg0

The first link:

https://thevpn.guru/get-bbc-iplayer-firestick-outside-uk/

Of course that would not be necessary if you already have a UK amazon account with a UK credit card. In addition you mentioned switching back to DE, you cannot do this as it will delete the UK channels and reload the German apps.

Buying something in the shop (therefore the advice of buying 1 GBP voucher) if it happens to you it is not always needed.    I guess it has something to do with the CC being German, but that I can't say why it happens to some people and it doesn't happen to other people.

Regardless of speed, NowTV was terrible with the picture quality falling well short of the quality you get on the Firestick. I also have an MSI box which since buying several Firesticks is now redundant, the interface just wasn't user friendly and unless you're a real couch potato, I wouldn't even bother, stick with the Firestick especially for 25 euros.

In this one we agree.  The stick is great specially for 25 EUR.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

And why are you accusing me of lying?  

Krieg, what has come over you today?

Go back and read your reply to gman, firstly gman says he already has a router setup with snartdns and you answer him without even mentioning a vpn as if to assume he knows what you're talking about. Well I certainly didn't so I posted to say you cannot and gave the 2 options.

Of course you can have the UK app in DE.  What it is important is that you "bought" the app from a UK account.  I've been using it in this way for very long.

You are referring to the BBCiplayer, I am referring to the amazon.co.uk which cannot be brought and as I previously said you cannot run a .DE account and a UK account on the same firestick regardless of VPN.

Had you read my post thoroughly then you might of understood instead of trying to say that I'm accusing you of lying.

With regards to having a UK account it's actually much better because their rental library is far bigger than the German site.

Had you made it clear in the outset that in order to do what you were talking about required a vpn then neither you or I would be waisting our time on this subject

I hope for you that tomorrow will be one of your better days.

G'night

10 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Go back and read your reply to gman, firstly gman says he already has a router setup with snartdns and you answer him without even mentioning a vpn as if to assume he knows what you're talking about. Well I certainly didn't so I posted to say you cannot and gave the 2 options.

@theGman as far as I remember is proficient in making these things, he knows how to make it run.  And he even mentioned he solved that already at the router level.  He was asking how to get the apps into the stick, so I answered how I did it.

You are referring to the BBCiplayer, I am referring to the amazon.co.uk which cannot be brought and as I previously said you cannot run a .DE account and a UK account on the same firestick regardless of VPN.

Of course you can not have a Fire Stick linked to two accounts, but this is not what I said.   In order to install the BBC&iPlayer apps you have to temporarily change you address to a UK address, all in your DE account.

This is in most cases a better approach than sideloading (which you recommended) because you will continue to get updates.  And if you have multiple devices, since you already own the apps you can install them in other devices without dealing anymore with a UK address, you only have to do this once.

With regards to having a UK account it's actually much better because their rental library is far bigger than the German site.

But in you move totally to a UK account then you have the opposite problem, no access to the German apps.  And you will have to pay for Prime UK which does not give you the package shipping advantages in Germany.

Had you made it clear in the outset that in order to do what you were talking about required a vpn then neither you or I would be waisting our time on this subject

The VPN/SmartDNS requirement is a given.

I hope for you that tomorrow will be one of your better days.

G'night

Thank you, same to you.