TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

I just flashed my TP-Link TL-WR841ND router a few days ago (you can get it for 16-20 euros) with DD-WRT and it has sped up things for me and improved the signal. It has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 CPU with Clock 650 MHz. Should be enough to handle a 2-3 person family's usage.

btw - I am playing around now with free IPTV links, I've made my own IPTV link scraper and link tester. I'm still just starting this for fun, but I hope to regularly scrape links off the web, and validate the links every couple of hours.  I find many links are dead, but validating them cleans up the lists. Anyone else doing this? btw- is IPTV unsafe without VPN?

For the British expats out there, I found a very good link for British TV - without need for VPNs. Super fast too! It seems to have a lot of British channels.

https://www.transponder.tv/channels

Just need to sign-up (you can just make up an email address if you like, no verification)

Enjoy! 

Yeah it's a spin-off from tvcactchup.com who have split off the international streaming from the UK only one.

The only issue I have with it so far is that there is no kodi plugin, so for now I'm still using tvcatchup via a vpn.

16 hours ago, wien4ever said:

For the British expats out there, I found a very good link for British TV - without need for VPNs. Super fast too! It seems to have a lot of British channels.

Just need to sign-up (you can just make up an email address if you like, no verification)

Enjoy! 

Thanks for that most useful and interesting.

7 hours ago, pappnase said:

Yeah it's a spin-off from tvcactchup.com who have split off the international streaming from the UK only one.

The only issue I have with it so far is that there is no kodi plugin, so for now I'm still using tvcatchup via a vpn.

And thanks for that also, I have been trying out Kodi recently but the Iplayerwww which seemed to be the only plugin for UK broadcasters does not seem to work with a vpn so gave up on it. Thanks to your post I have tried tvcatchup and it works well. Do you know if it is possible to get ITV 2-4 also?

you could install a free app on your phone and watch it there or mirror it to your tv or cast it using say chrome cast. quality is great. (live net tv , you won't find it on the google store , you'll have to sideload it or load it from their website and allow sources other than the google store on your phone)

If you want to make this relationship more pernament install the app on a firestick or android box ( i have buzztv xpl 3000 and love it, only have it a few weeks) and give your mobile phone a break and control the app with a remote control . 

Some android boxes are made with iptv in mind , which means a subscription to a tv channel provider. So i went with necro iptv , 80 euros a year and it allows you to have two boxes active , so 40 if you share . 

i've gone from no tv to 1500 channels (all the sky sports movies, english/irish stations and son on) in the space of a couple of weeks . i'm not an expert just sound like i am to the few that know less than me .  (posted this orgionally on watch uk tv on german tv forum)

On 9/27/2018, 7:48:37, padjo said:

you could install a free app on your phone and watch it there or mirror it to your tv or cast it using say chrome cast. quality is great. (live net tv , you won't find it on the google store , you'll have to sideload it or load it from their website and allow sources other than the google store on your phone)

If you want to make this relationship more pernament install the app on a firestick or android box ( i have buzztv xpl 3000 and love it, only have it a few weeks) and give your mobile phone a break and control the app with a remote control . 

Some android boxes are made with iptv in mind , which means a subscription to a tv channel provider. So i went with necro iptv , 80 euros a year and it allows you to have two boxes active , so 40 if you share . 

i've gone from no tv to 1500 channels (all the sky sports movies, english/irish stations and son on) in the space of a couple of weeks . i'm not an expert just sound like i am to the few that know less than me .  (posted this orgionally on watch uk tv on german tv forum)

Do you use a VPN?

On 9/27/2018, 8:48:37, padjo said:

The only issue is that most probably this is all illegal streaming.

On 9/28/2018, 10:19:00, Sir Percy B said:

can't make this look like a non Sir percy Quote but it's from me, padjo. streaming  is  illegal allright. i have vpn but for watching playback on Irish rte . you really need vpn if your torrenting movies and films. you 'should' be fine if your just streaming . Haven't heard of anyone getting caught streaming . a lot harder for them to catch you . 

On ‎23‎.‎09‎.‎2018‎ ‎22‎:‎17‎:‎16, wien4ever said:

Enjoy! 

This isn't free anymore, it seems.

good article in Wired (can't seem to find the link) about how bit torrent after years of decline is making a comeback. Thanks to Netflix and Hulu people had less reason to pirate content. Now that streaming has gone mainstream there are now too many services and more importantly, too much exclusive content. So people are going back to pirating. As always never ever bit torrent in Germany!

34 minutes ago, Doctor Who said:

Nah, it's still free, and you can still just feed it any old crap for the email address bit.

The subscription model just adds features like recording, the more you pay the longer your recording time.

Of course that might change in future.

11 hours ago, Doctor Who said:

Hi Doc,  it still works, just register with any email address (no verification process), so you can put in a dummy one if you are worried about getting spammed.

After registration all the channels will work, and you don't need to login anymore.

Enjoy!

I've been doing IPTV links scraping as a hobby for fun in the last couple of weeks using linux scripts. Just one of those 'can it be done?' challenges. And I think I've got it working pretty well. Basically I've been scraping links from pastebin and keeping the ones that I validate with an automated script that I run once a day. So far I've collected 2750 channels! My validation script cleans up the dead links, so far, from personal tests, I get about 95% success rate for working channels. I remove any links that take longer than 10s to load.

I've uploaded the M3U file here:

https://transfer.sh/GVttf/daily_working_links.m3u

you are welcome to give it a try. Just load it into VLC player and do a search for channels, or load it into GSE SMART IPTV on Mac or  MyIPTV on windows if you don't want to deal with Kodi (I find Kodi rather cumbersome to use if you just want IPTV).

No guarantees that the links will stay up. I've only uploaded a snapshot of my last scan of channels. I can't do maintenance and I don't want to make money on it, it was just a curiosity. I didn't know about IPTV until relatively recently and was just astonished how much is out there in the web.

18 hours ago, wien4ever said:

I've been doing IPTV links scraping as a hobby for fun in the last couple of weeks using linux scripts. Just one of those 'can it be done?' challenges. And I think I've got it working pretty well. Basically I've been scraping links from pastebin and keeping the ones that I validate with an automated script that I run once a day. So far I've collected 2750 channels! My validation script cleans up the dead links, so far, from personal tests, I get about 95% success rate for working channels. I remove any links that take longer than 10s to load.

I've uploaded the M3U file here:

https://transfer.sh/GVttf/daily_working_links.m3u

you are welcome to give it a try. Just load it into VLC player and do a search for channels, or load it into GSE SMART IPTV on Mac or  MyIPTV on windows if you don't want to deal with Kodi (I find Kodi rather cumbersome to use if you just want IPTV).

No guarantees that the links will stay up. I've only uploaded a snapshot of my last scan of channels. I can't do maintenance and I don't want to make money on it, it was just a curiosity. I didn't know about IPTV until relatively recently and was just astonished how much is out there in the web.

looks very interesting thanks . only getting into this now . Going to try the gse player on my box and maybe edit the playlist to group it if needs be . Have u grouped the playlist or does anyone else want to do it and share ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IPTV/comments/8s5aef/best_iptv_player_for_android/

4 hours ago, padjo said:

looks very interesting thanks . only getting into this now . Going to try the gse player on my box and maybe edit the playlist to group it if needs be . Have u grouped the playlist or does anyone else want to do it and share ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IPTV/comments/8s5aef/best_iptv_player_for_android/

I'm not able to group them myself, unfortunately. There is some grouping information for some channels that is stored in the EXTINF line but it is not always done. The majority of the channels don't come with grouping, so just be aware that the groups don't represent all the channels available for a language/region. I try to do targeted scrapes for USA or UK , but the channel lists usually come with channels from other countries. I'm pulling hundreds of lists, extracting the bits and pieces that work, and pasting it all together into one file. 

I guess the next step, is to have a list of known channels across countries, do a match by name and then throw them into categories. I don't know yet where to find a list like that and it may end up being tricky as a channel might be written in variations eg. "BBC UK" or "B-B-C UK" or "B.B.C. UK"  and catching all the variations would be tricky.

edit: I  guess you might think this is a 'google is your friend' moment, but the wikipedia link here I know is not completely comprehensive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_networks_by_country