TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

Okay,

Unotelly gives me everything when I set the router up with the DNS servers.

But using my laptop stand alone is not working.

I did try NordVPN but gave up after four hours of "help" line hinderance.

I have signed up with ExpressVPN as recommended by Fraufruit - it works great on my tablets, my laptop. I have yet to try it in my router, I suspect my router is too old  (TP-link 842) to set up with ExpressVPN.

I am looking at buying another router - any suggestions?

Why not get a speedport? And Fibreglass super duper fast connection? Then connect everything in your home via WLAN Powerline.

http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_avm-fritz-powerline-1260e-2323519.html

You can use the devlo cockpit system to refresh each powerline connection on your laptop. No cables and super high speed! Can check out the options in your local mediamarkt/Saturn. Many different companies make the WLAN powerline system.

Speedports are pretty cool. Most German phone companies have them in their packages.

I have a speedport entry, it's a piece of shit!

No wireless range, you cannot fit external antennas and only two lan connections.

Not sure if someone would care here about this, but in case you have a Samsung TV and you changed its country to UK in order to be able to install the UK TV apps (BBC, CH4, etc), maybe you knew that then Amazon Video did not work because the Amazon app tried to connect to the UK store instead of the DE store and even if you had a Smart DNS it did not work.   Well, not long ago Amazon changed their Amazon Video app in order to unify it in all countries (this is probably because Amazon is expanding to other countries at the moment), so now the Amazon Video app can finally connect to the German store.

19 hours ago, paulstep said:

Okay,

Unotelly gives me everything when I set the router up with the DNS servers.

But using my laptop stand alone is not working.

Thanks for the feedback. I was the other way around (using a TP Link 841N router) and their Unotelly VPN. I could get iPlayer to work through a laptop initiated VPN connection, but when I set it up in the router, it would not work. ITV and Ch4 were ok. So it seems the BBC were the issue. 

I'll retry it again.

1 hour ago, RockThrust said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was the other way around (using a TP Link 841N router) and their Unotelly VPN. I could get iPlayer to work through a laptop initiated VPN connection, but when I set it up in the router, it would not work. ITV and Ch4 were ok. So it seems the BBC were the issue. 

I'll retry it again.

Sorry but I think I have confused the issue a bit.

For clarity - I do not use Unotelly VPN  just their DNS service.

Just a quick update.

I bought a TP-link WR940N and configured it as per the youtube video on ExpressVPN's website and everything is working as it should.

On 3/17/2018, 3:11:12, paulstep said:

So I'm on the hunt for a new VPN that will give me UK TV. I was with liberty shield but need to change.

Recommendations?

I'm back using overplay smartdns and getting UK telly ok at the min

I am using UnoTelly Smart DNS and it is working with everything except Sky+ box catch up TV. It will start the download but stop within a second. 

RT

Well ExpressVPN didn't work for long.

Last night we got the message from NowTV - You are using a VPN and that is against our policy.

I spoke with ExpressVPN support - they do not officially deal with NowTV.

Back to Liberty Shield I think.

Its just a cat and mouse game !

As soon as the BBC find any VPN company is accessing their servers, they will block them, the VPN company will change their external IP address and it will work again until the BBC finds the new address, and again, and again....

Did you try the multiple VPN servers that ExpressVPN offers in another part of the UK ?

No VPN company will guarantee, to make it work - they just offer the service while it lasts - it will work again later today or in a couple of days

Yes we tried multiple servers but it's a pain having to access the router settings and enter a new server address  only to find it does not work.

So..

I am in need of an idiots guide to flashing a TP-Link router..

I would like to flash it with DD-wrt firmware, but I cant follow the info on their website...

There are so many different links and variations and its driving me mad..

The router is a TL841N (300mbps) The firmware is V11.

Logging into the router and finding the firmware upgrade button is no problem...   

Thanks in advance

SP

go to

www.dd-wrt.com, click router database, enter 841  -> you will see a list firm wares

by the  way, the TL841N is not a good router to flash with dd-wrt, because it only has 4md flash space, normally you require 8mb to get all the normal dd-wrt features. You may find the features you want are not included. There are ways around it !, but its

hassle.

You need to know more about your router ( chipset etc ) to find the perfect version of dd-wrt for your router.

by the way, if you flash the wrong version, you can brick your router, be careful.

Thank you.

Can you reccoment a fairly good router that wont fleece my clients?

I searched the DD-WRT site and found a list of compatible routers... the 841 was in the list, but when I eventually found the 4 different versions of firmware, each one came up with "wrong file name" yet I didnt change anything...

Heres Hoping!

Plus.... the dd-wrt site wont let me sign up!:angry:

difficult, choosing a router depends on what you what it to do with it, but you should consider at least

will it run dd-wrt ?, ie firmware available

how quick it is, so if you want VPN performance, you need a good processor in it, not less than 600MHZ

how many people will use it ?, dad watches football, kids watching movies, then get a gigabit router.

as with everything else, you get what you pay for, a cheap router will work for a single person, only doing smart DNS, but get better hardware if you need the performance.

by the way I had a dd-wrt router, they are hard to setup, you need to  know a  bit of linux to do anything not standard.

Most ASUS routers can add MERLIN, which can be configured in an easy way, just clicking boxes on the screen and will do (most ) if not all things, people will want to do. Including stopping the internet connection if the VPN fails, which can stop a lot of big copywrite bills coming your way. 

Also you do not flash a new dd-wrt firmware, with the built in 'firmware upgrade', you normally have to login in to the router from a terminal window and then use a special program.

Not sure 

But I would imagine so 

I would test it, 

On your computer or mobile phone ( with WIFI ), goto website   www.zdf.de and select LIVE TV, if it plays then ZDF are not using country zoning, so you do not need a VPN. If it will not play then you will need a VPN or SmartDNS system.

I tried to get ZDF on my computer while I am connected to a UK VPN and it plays ok - So I would imagine you will be ok.

Amazon Fire TV has a lot of free TV channels from there apps including ZDF and ARD, with iplayer like features, ie play already shown programs etc.