TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

Agreed in general

As some add-ons become popular, they sometimes start to slow down, also it depends where the target audience is for the add-on is, so you will notice add-ons that are targeted for Germany, may slow down during prim German TV times, eg 6 to 10pm  most days.  

Try installing several addon-ons that do the same thing eg for movies, there at least 100 addons available, install several of them to your kodi device and swap between them until you get a stable feed.

yes 16 is enough, but 16DSL is know to be very slow during prim German viewing times. 16 is the max, and you can often get only 4 !, you can test your internet speed from several speed checker sites.

also use a VPN while accessing kodi, VPNs can be slow at times aswell

Addons don't slow down, they run locally on your box!

The source is probably crap, try a different one until you get a stable one.  The life of streaming unfortunately involves some frustration.  Even for HD links, you've more than an enough bandwith with 16mb but whether the source can push that out is out of your control.

17 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Quick question Kodi box, when playing a video it tends to pause a lot and occasionally hang completely. Is thst due to internet or software. Got 16 so should have enough speed.

Experts have answered you and I'm pretty much a dummy in this sort of thing but have you actually got 16mbs or just a contract for up to 16mbs.I had 16mbs but like many people was actually getting nowhere near that.

Thanks everyone, confirmed my suspicions, it's a combination of overloaded bandwidth, Sunday evening and popular streams. The odd thing is that the live TV seems to go pretty good. Our street was just upgraded to fiber but 1und1 isn't offering the high speed services yet. Contract has got nother year to go, if they haven't by then upgraded I'll switch. 

On 23/10/2017, 13:11:42, Keleth said:

Experts have answered you and I'm pretty much a dummy in this sort of thing but have you actually got 16mbs or just a contract for up to 16mbs.I had 16mbs but like many people was actually getting nowhere near that.

All our  neighbors on nebenan.de we're complaining about that DT and Vodaphone   Had upgraded our area to 100 MB but inspite of paying more the actual speed hadn't changed.

moving on got a strange IOS issue regarding airplay. Ipad streams Netflix, Hulu no issue but on the phone I get sound but no video. Currently I'm in a hotel and hooked ipad/phone up via hdmi cable but on both sound but no video. 

Been looking online other people have had the same issue but no clear answers

Here is a list of the non approved ( banned) kodi addons, which can stream ilegal content

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rules/Banned_add-ons

provided by Kodi, kodi has nothing to do with the illegal addons 

The authorities have shut down several of them already, but each time one is shut down another 3 appear, when  exodus was shut down ( just not updated), 

• Covenant was born, the storey goes on, looks like Covenant is going down as well, but there are lots of alternatives, see the list

The  authorities have never prosecuted an end user, only the suppliers of the addon or asked them to shutdown

On 17/11/2017, 20:12:00, fraufruit said:

I searched for Kodi here and got a lot of hits. I'll just put this here.

Hollywood strikes back against illegal streaming Kodi add ons

I know nothing about this but have seen Kodi mentioned a lot on TT.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I suspect most people are like me, a Kodi box plus a netflixs subscription.

Any idea why don't they go after the people hosting the content?

It appears one of my appartments in Nürnberg no longer has TV. There are coax points but no signal arrives, and the Hausverwaltung have confirmed that there is no cable or other contract for the entire house.

Hausverwaltung recommended getting a DVB solution, which is satellite TV but as far as I know without a satellite dish. 

I guess other options are full blown satellite TV, or a set top box getting TV over the internet. I pay about €20 per month for an O2 internet subscription. Calling O2 and asking them for internet TV probably isn't an option. O2's phone service is legendarily unusable.

However wikipedia tells me 

Heute sollen mindestens 90 % der Haushalte die öffentlich-rechtlichen Sender mittels DVB-T über Dachantenne empfangen können. D

Which seems to suggest the Hausverwaltung should have stuck up a roof antenna, and be sending us DVB over the existing coax. 

So what do I need to do?

11 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Hausverwaltung recommended getting a DVB solution, which is satellite TV but as far as I know without a satellite dish. 

DVB-S = satellite

DVB-C = cable

DVB-T = terrestrial (antenna)

@MadAxeMurderer I thought you rent your apartments? Surely that should be down to the tennant to source their TV and internet provider.

Anyway, so what do you need to do?

In order to receive DVB T2 you will require any of the following with a compatible internal or external antenna and this will only give you the very basic free terrestrial channels to start.

• DVB T2 Set top box costing upwards of €30.00 if you do not have a compatible TV.
  • or
  • DVB T2 compatible TV which have only been around for the past 18 months to 2 years.

In order to receive the premium channels you will need to;

• Register the DVB T2 set top box and pay monthly €5.75/€69.00 yearly subscription
  • or
  • DVB T2 compatible TV you will need a C+ Module card €79.99, you will receive the premium channels 3 months gratis and there after pay monthly €5.75 or €69.00 yearly subscription.

More Details are here but bear in mind you will need to do this for every TV or every room with a TV. There are other options with Kabel Deutschland and Deutsche Telekom but none of them are cheap and would require some form of subscription.

I cannot comment on Kabel Deutschland but with Telekom you would have to upgrade your router, then you would have to rent a set top box.

The only problem with this setup is that given how technologically advanced Telekom is, these boxes are not Wifi compatible and must be hardwired. So if your router is not in the same room as your TV then you will need to somehow connect it.

Easiest solution would be to run a cable through the flat/house but this is an ugly option, alternatively purchase a powerline box like the Fritz powerline 1240e (approx €120.00 for a pair) which will enable you to receive an internet connection over the plug socket. You can do this for all your rooms, the initial costs are expensive but you only pay one subscription.

Apart from the initial internet and TV package from Telekom which I think is about €45.00 per month you must rent a main Entertaiment box for €4.95 per month along with additional boxes for each room at €3.95.

Obviously there's always Satellite but I have no idea what that costs. We have DT and all I know is that having bought the Powerlines and renting the extra boxes German TV cost us an arm and a leg this year.

Hope that helps.

With dvbT2 box and room antenna, ARD, ZDF, 3SAT and about 10 other channels should be achievable... But with the limited info we have.. no one can really help..

@Sir Percy B I do indeed rent out all my apartments. But I include electricity, heating, internet so somebody can just move in with a suitcase and the apartment is ready. I maximise convenience to the consumer and charge for it.

There is 1 TV, and 1 projector in the apartment.

@SpiderPig Foreign channels like CNN, BBC, Discovery would be important. What extra information do you need?

Are you sure that the cable connection has been cut?

Just a few weeks ago, MOST of the cable providers switched to Digital Cable TV only... ie, switched off the analogue..

What make and model of TV is it?

Do you have a south facing balcony?

Whats the Haus ordnung regarding satellite antenna?

Are you sure that the cable connection has been cut? From the Hausverwaltung:

Laut unserer Liste ist die TV-Versogung mittels DVBT-Antenne möglich.

Es ist weder ein Kabelvertrag noch eine SAT-Anlage vorhanden.

I don't know the make and model of TV, but it has HDMI input, and no DVB

The balcony faces South. 

A small dish antenna on the balcong yill probably get all the German channels.. CNN, BBC news and Sky news...

With the right sort of satellite receiver, you can also get loads of other TV channels and switch the audio into English... these boxes are "naughty, but nice!"

@SpiderPig So you would propose satellite is a much better solution. Can the tenant choose his audio language. A Geramn might prefer German.

The Hausverwaltung haven't got back to me about whether I can have a dish or not.

Can you send me a quote to set this up in Nürnberg, and what the ongoing cost would be? Ideally by Thursday when the new tenant comes in.