TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

From the readme.txt in the English download directory:

Important: This firmware is only intended for use with FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 International Edition

Only for the international edition.

Yep, that's what I discovered last year. Ignoring that info and trying it anyway doesn't work either :rolleyes::(

Right then. Weekend project it is :)

You can flash the international Firmware to a German 7390. The hardware is the exact same..

The problem is the firmware update program on both devices only let you flash the correct firmware

and giving errors if you try to cross flash.

So...

1. Google search and download the latest RuKerneltool 0.6.3.2

2. Download the International firmware image.

3. Use RuKernel tool to flash the international version. It will then be a Int. ver. forever.

Cavets: 1) RuKerneltool is in German language only 2) is a very feature rich program which if used

incorrectly or in the wrong order will brick your Fritzbox.

Tool works for almost all Fritzboxes and Speedports and other routers based off of AVM hardware.

3. Use RuKernel tool to flash the international version. It will then be a Int. ver. forever.

Thanks Darkknight. I've looked around the RU website at various guides, screenshots and stuff. On balance, I'm not feelin' it. If it was a el cheapo €50 router that the ISP wouldn't want back (like you get from Arcor and Telekom, or at least did 10 years ago), I'd go for it. But with this super-router, I think I'll leave it. I'll go for my browser extension method instead.

If you have a 7390, I can flash it for you. I've done at least a dozen already.

It's not really that hard to do, you just have to read everything before you go out

and start clicking buttons.

Another big problem (more like a rant) is that all the new features of the FritzOS

are added to the German Lang. devices 1st. Eventually after 3-5 FW version updates

then they update the International FW. I was quite surprised they released new FW

for just about every FB model at the same time for the last big security problem.

Is anyone having problems with accessing "help" on Zattoo?

It's been working fine for me since the satellite changes.

I want to learn a bit more about its capabilities.

But when I click help I just see "400 Bad Request".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've tried with both windows PC and iPad.

Not looking for anything in particular.

I recall having seen a useful FAQ when first signing up.

For example...one of the Q's was about reordering channels.

As I'm still working out how to use Zattoo through trial and error, I thought the FAQ section may speed up the process.

And I wondered if I could be alone in having problems to access their support section.

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

that is an overplay problem.

Overplay's SmartDNS enables access to the streams of Zattoo, but for some strange reasons breaks access to Zattoo's support pages.

E.G. https://support.zattoo.com/<something>

Try to access Zattoo's support pages whilst using your original DNS (as given by your provider) or google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 and afterwards switch back to overplay's SmartDNS.

Cheers

Franklan

Year, you need to switch off Smart DNS to access the Help page. This then directs you to Zattoo's German website, which you can use their help. Alternatively, you can fire up a VPN to Switzerland for help from their Swiss site.

Just keep in mind that German Zattoo doesn't offer UK channels, only the Swiss one. So, if you start asking the German help service questions about your UK channels, they may not prove to be so helpful. Then again, I never tested that. I have just asked the Swiss side for help when I had problems.

So, I have bben using Smart DNS on my Smsung Smart TV to get catch up programmes, since early feb now with my 50MB line.

BBC works fine, so does CH4, but I have problems with ITV and Channel 5, the adverts always stop while it get more data ( rotating circle ), and sometimes depending on the evening the actual programmes does the same, not as much but enough to make it not watchable. ITV is better than channel 5 !

Anyone found this aswell and has a solution, I know I have asked this before, but maybe someone knows something about it by now .... ?

I think ovbg said, that normal in the UK for CH 5, but ITV seems to be worse now.

I used to have problems with Demand 5, but I found that once I added OverPlay's DNS server directly into the TV, it actually started working. (previously I had it just on the router, but for some reason Demand 5 also needs it on the TV).

ITV Player I never had problems with, but I have heard of some people with some models having issues. This was supposed to have been resolved with updated firmware on the TV.

If you are still having problems, I think it may be the TV's software rather than OverPlay or your Internet. Just testing ITV Player now to see if it has anything new that is an issue...

Can I ask what model TV you have and if you are using WiFi or Ethernet? Sometimes I have seen issues with advertisements in the past, but I haven't recently. I have also heard of people in the UK seeing the same problems, so it could be issues with their ad-servers as well...

Zenmate is really the dogs bollox people - no need to pay for SmartDNS or any VPN service. Ch4 works so long as you disable adblock if using chrome.

I tried Zenmate last night and it appears to work really well. I used to use Stealthy with Firefox to watch the BBC iPlayer, but it was often very slow to start and sometimes didn't work at all. Zenmate with Chrome seems to start instantly. I wish I could get it to work on my Smart TV.

^^ that's the catch with a lot of these free services, they limit television to a computer.

This is fine for some people, and some people will even connect that computer to a television via an HDMI cable. But a lot of people prefer a much more elegant solution. My wife for instance, would not stand for a computer sitting next to the main TV in the living room, or visible cables dragging across the floor.

I'm also a bit fussy and prefer a proper, sofa-friendly environment, which means sitting on the big comfortable thing in the living room, with a remote and enjoying all on the big screen. This is where I'm more than happy with Smart DNS. It may cost me the equivalent of one pub beer per month, but hell, one beer is not a lot of money for an entire month of armchair UK television, where everything is as easy as normal TV watching, and in many cases, in HD.

That single beer also opens up Zattoo, gives me Australian, New Zealand and American television, without the need to switch VPNs, again, on my main TV and along with my other subs, allows every Netflix region, Hulu Plus and more. It also allows me to use all these services on every device I have, whether that is my Smart TV, gaming console, set-top-box or mobile devices (and that really opens up a lot as well, especially offline downloads with the BBC iPlayer and 4oD)

I could save that €3 per month and still watch UK television on a computer with some free hacks like Zenmate, that is comparatively unstable, has more limitations and restricted to watching on a computer, and for people who really don't mind these issues, this is probably a good method. But sometimes spending a little is a little worth a lot.

^^agree entirely. Zenmate is great (heck my company has invested in it and it's a local Berlin based firm) but it's a browser based solution for what to me is not always a browser based problem...I want ALL my devices to have access to all regional players, so I need a router based solution and am happy to pay the €3 a month to be able to go home in the evening, flick on the telly and watch iPlayer etc. using a remote control from the sofa.

I am on ovbg boat on this one!!!

3.90 euro a month for TV on your TV is nice, even if the Dragon's Den could not see the point of it ( piss take advent shown on BBC ).

However, My smart TV will not play live LIVE TV, like the iplayer app for PCwill do ( or Andriod app for that matter ). The only real way to do it, is with cables !!!, from my PC to my smart TV or airplay, which sort of kill the point of a smart TV.

I lkie watchng TV on my TV, but its not all flowers out there ...

I agree with all that. Sadly, I am with M-Net and such options aren't open to me so far...(although I still haven't tried Franklan's suggestion of disabling IPV6).

However, My smart TV will not play live LIVE TV, like the iplayer app for PCwill do ( or Andriod app for that matter ). The only real way to do it, is with cables !!!, from my PC to my smart TV or airplay, which sort of kill the point of a smart TV.

Actually, AirPlay works really well for this. I'm watching the BBC breakfast show right now, live on my TV in near HD. Looks fantastic. If I want to change channels, I just tap the next channel number on my iPhone and it works as good as a normal remote. In this case, the Apple TV to facilitate AirPlay is a bit like a receiver set-top-box. It's just an additional box to add live channels.

(Granted, to get that high quality stream, I am paying an additional fee to Zattoo).

For Android users, it appears there are wireless options as well. I haven't tested them, but they do exist. I was recently made aware of a PlayTo app (which is even available for the £10 Now TV STB), and FilmOn apparently works with that.

Speaking of Zattoo, and a direct TV only solution. Zattoo has apps for some Smart TVs, and I have used the Zattoo app directly on my Samsung Smart TV to watch live UK channels (via Smart DNS of course). But a word of warning here. The Zattoo app at least on the Samsung Smart TV does have video quality issues and cuts out every now and again. It isn't as stable as on iOS.

AirPlay is still my favourite here. The iPhone or iPad makes a perfect sofa remote. No cables, fantastic UI, what is there to worry about?