TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

I wonder if this iplayer TV licence news will involve any other loopholes being closed.

From my understanding, if they did make these changes (the ones discussed on other news sites about a PIN required that will only be given out to license fee holders), they couldn't go into effect into after 2017.

Even if it does come to be after 2017, it just means everyone will have to find some way to pay the fee, and there are always ways to pay for things.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as the BBC license fee in my mind is incredibly good value for money. I mean, look at the lengths many of us are going through to watch the BBC. This must mean something, and if we really love something this much, why not help financially support it.

From my understanding, if they did make these changes (the ones discussed on other news sites about a PIN required that will only be given out to license fee holders), they couldn't go into effect into after 2017.

Even if it does come to be after 2017, it just means everyone will have to find some way to pay the fee, and there are always ways to pay for things.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as the BBC license fee in my mind is incredibly good value for money. I mean, look at the lengths many of us are going through to watch the BBC. This must mean something, and if we really love something this much, why not help financially support it.

If they do adopt a PIN verification approach (or licence fee number entry), I'm sure they wouldn't remove the IP restrictions though. It'll be just two step verification instead of one.

Ok, this does belong in the other thread but as the most recent discussion of this issue is here I'll post here for now.

Firstly, SmartDNS. I cannot get it to work at all. I follow these instructions: https://www.overplay.net/blog/smartdns-on-windows-7

and once I have completed the DNS change I am no longer able to connect to the internet at all.

Therefore I am not sure if any of these results have any meaning:

Obviously this test fails: https://www.overplay.net/blog/smartdns-on-windows-7

The result of the other is: 2001:a60:2366:bd02:cc61:f2a:f070:3d59

On my laptop I cannot access Fritz.box so I will try on my desktop which is the machine on which I did the original set up.

What really bugs me is that when I try and view nutjob.eu without using a VPN, I can see no streams at all.

I switched on zenmate and still no luck.

Then I started the vpn service from overplay and all streams work fine.

OK, so one fundamental problem I'm having is that no manual DNS entry in my Fritzbox is actually being used. I tried Google's free DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, clicked Übernehmen, rebooted everything and still M-Net's DNS machines are being used for name resolution. Hopefully it's just a bug with the Fritzbox, but who knows.

That would be the obvious next step...were I at home. ;)

But I think that rebooting the laptop should have had the same effect.

Thus giving you a second network , with permanent "Hidden IP Adress" for you to allow Numpty-friends to surf where and how they like!!!

Hi,

OK, so one fundamental problem I'm having is that no manual DNS entry in my Fritzbox is actually being used. I tried Google's free DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, clicked Übernehmen, rebooted everything and still M-Net's DNS machines are being used for name resolution. Hopefully it's just a bug with the Fritzbox, but who knows.

Disable IPV6 on your laptop. As long as this is enabled the laptop will query the IPV6-DNS as provided by the fritzbox, which is - because you didn't change that - still pointing to m-net. I see a chance that forcing your laptop to not to use IPV6 at all could do the job.

By default, Fritz boxes are not configured to use IPv6. Its an option you must enable.

Well, not for M-Net customers on DS-Lite. For them, IPV6 is a yoke that they cannot disable.

While we're in this slightly off-topic discussion about M-net, has anyone managed to Flash their firmware on their M-net-supplied 7390 to English? Last time I looked (a year ago) it seemed that we were issued with German-only firmware. There is an international version of the 7390 that supports English, but it's not the one I was issued by M-net.

I was thinking of writing a Chrome extension (and Firefox greasemonkey script) that auto-translated the text of the pages. I'd write it in such a way that the translations would be in a separate resource file that others could take and provide their own favourite language and I could add it back in. Maybe on github or something. But if I can get the English firmware then I wouldn't bother.

Darkknight,

the provider M-Net does not assign IPV4-addresses to those customers that have a "DS-Lite" contract. Flashing the router to another firmware - as you suggest - by using RuKernelTool won't solve the issue of not getting an IPV4-address from M-Net.