TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,830 posts in this topic

I guess you mean 49 EUR a year.

Opps, my bad.

Thanks littleirwin!

Just put this on the PC and it's simple and works great! Also means I can get access to various newspapers that were blocked... Fab!

I'm surprised by the number of people cancelling before they even try the service. For an existing prime customer you don't get the price increase until your year is up. I got an email last night that for me the increase is in may. You can check this info in your Amazon prime account settings.

If you are not already a Custer you have one day to sign up, get a 30 free trail and prime for a year at the old price.

Yesterday I checked some of the content offered by Amazon (bear in mind I have a German Prime account of course) and the films and series I briefly played could not be switched to OV. If that remains so, Amazon's offering is completely uninteresting.

Uncle_Jamal, have you gotten SmartDNS to work on your Fritzbox yet? I'm also having [probably insurmountable] difficulties, and if I can't get it to work I plan to install a freetz.org firmware this weekend in order to use the router as a VPN client.

Hi CinciInDe,

open this link

http://www.overplay.net/smartdnstest.php

and post the result (to nail down the problem).

Cheers

Franklan

I'm at work now so doing the test at the moment is inapplicable. But when I did the test last night, I got the little red X, leading me to believe it wasn't working. :)

Gave Amazon Prime a test run this morning. Highly disappointing. Hardly any of the American movies/series are available in English.

Uncle_Jamal, have you gotten SmartDNS to work on your Fritzbox yet? I'm also having [probably insurmountable] difficulties, and if I can't get it to work I plan to install a freetz.org firmware this weekend in order to use the router as a VPN client.

SmartDNS should certainly work on your Fritzbox. There are a few of us with SmartDNS and Fritzboxes here, so we should be able to help you out. Is your problem that Smart DNS was working fine when you put OverPlay's DNS addresses directly into devices, but it doesn't work when you do so in the router?

Have you got Smart DNS to work at all yet in any way or form?

Also, open a ticket at OverPlay's support. They should be able to help you out as well.

I would certainly look at all these things before flashing your router for VPN, as Smart DNS generally speaking is a LOT better for most people's needs.

Just a dumb question. You do have a running subscription with OverPlay do you?

I have a subscription to a VPN (not Overplay) and a subscription to Overplay's smart DNS. I'm not using them concurrently...I only mention the VPN because I see the potential benefit of running it directly from the FritzBox.

The problem (I think) is that I have M-Net Fiber, and the Fritzbox does DS-Lite for ipv4/6 handling.

I manually entered the DNS server IP addresses in the Fritzbox per Frankan's guide, but the test page shows the red X from any machine in the network.

When I enter the DNS Addresses manually in Windows it works on that machine only. I haven't tested on Linux. Sadly, I can't set DNS servers directly on the Roku.

The MyFritz DynDNS URL only resolves to a ipv6 address, which I suppose could be part of the issue.

Yep - not that I have yet tried (will do so tonight) but I think our problem is M-Net, not the fritzbox per se rather how M-Net place restrictions on what we can do with the fritzbox.

Hi CincyInDe,

I got the little red X, leading me to believe it wasn't working.

if I can't get it to work I plan to install a freetz.org firmware

this may sound rather harsh, but...

if setting up SmartDNS on your router is an insurmountable (as you wrote) obstacle to you, and you (apparently) do not have the ability to track down / nail down the problem on your own (doing a standard divide and conquer approach), then you better do not flash your router with a third party hack firmware! You'll shot yourself in the foot.

Cheers

Franklan

Yep - not that I have yet tried (will do so tonight) but I think our problem is M-Net, not the fritzbox per se rather how M-Net place restrictions on what we can do with the fritzbox.

I'm on M-net with a Fritzbox 7390 and have no SmartDNS issues.

post-8795-1393496606946.jpg

Dear Franklan,

01100111 01100101 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101110 01110100

Seriously though it looks like because of the way M-Net has set up their fiber network, the problem may indeed be insurmountable for reasons beyond my control -- short of getting a new ISP, which really isn't in the cards. Maybe you thought insurmountable meant something else?

I think the options in that tab were setup automatically when it first connected to M-net, on day 1 but here they are :

post-8795-13934972371148.jpg

Crap, that's not the page I was after. The main page (maybe Internet in the navigation panel on the left) where it shows what kind of connections you have, usually noted with green or red circles. In there, there would be a message about DS-Lite (or not). That's what I was interested in.