TV via the Internet as an alternative to satellite

2,547 posts in this topic

Topic split: Astra 2F and Astra 2E - New satellites arrive

There are some lucky ones it seems with the new BBC satellite changeover who can still access Aunty's channels, but if your screen has gone blank, all is not lost.

First of all, there may be a chance to get it all back by a re-tune, or maybe just by increasing your dish size. I don't know about these things, but there are folks here like SpiderPig who has a wealth of knowledge there, so the best place to ask is over at the Astra 2F subforum.

If they can't sort you out, don't panic! It is possible to watch the BBC live on your TV, but you will have to go the IPTV route. To be honest, it can work pretty well when using the right kit, and many of you may already have everything that is needed.

There are even totally free ways that don't require a VPN or Smart DNS such as FilmOn, but I personally find the best way is via Smart DNS and Zattoo under a sub. That last method is sadly not free, but even the combined Smart DNS and Zattoo sub can be less than €7 a month, and you get quite a lot for all that, near HD streams for the BBC, PVR, cloud recording, everything from the last 7 days, from every channel accessible, and that's just the live TV - not to mention the catch-up content also available.

I've put together a guide on how to achieve it right here. If you have questions, just ask away.

Please avoid cross-posting, stick to what it says in the title, thank you.

The original title of this thread was:

"Smart DNS and Zattoo for BBC TV - IPTV route"

With sarabyrd's permission (I asked out of politeness since she'd only just created the thread), I changed the title to:

"TV via the Internet to replace TV by satellite - Smart DNS and IPTV"

YL6 has since changed the title to:

"English language TV via the Internet - DNS redirection, VPNs and IPTV"

I'm not suggesting that my title is perfect and I don't want to start a war with YL6, but I believe his thread title rules out TTers interested in receiving TV in other languages than English and it doesn't attract the eye of a satellite TV viewer worried about the loss of UK FTA channels.

I'd be interested in the opinions of others.

No need to start a war. I felt that to imply that "TV via the internet" would replace satellite was a little presumptuous and might aggravate the satellite die-hards around here. Maybe "TV over the internet as an alternative to satellite" would be better? No problem removing the "English" sub-context but I'm guessing that's what 95% of the forum members are interested in.

I changed the subtext to remove any specific product ("SmartDNS") and make it rather more generic.

"TV over the Internet as an alternative to satellite" (note capital 'I') and no 'English' would be fine by me.

Just out of interest, for those who have switched to TV via the Internet, do you prefer to still find live sources for normal TV programmes, or the catch-up and on-demand route?

I sort of thought that I would always prefer live TV streams, but once I got used to catch-up and on-demand, I tend to stick almost exclusively to those methods - at least for actual TV programmes.

I still watch live TV for news and sports (and the odd bit of browsing if I have 10minutes to kill), but if it is a specific TV show, I either watch them off a catch-up service like BBC's iPlayer, 4od of Hulu Plus, or an on-demand service for box-sets like Netflix or Lovefilm UK.

It wasn't as hard a changeover as I expected since the last few years that I was watching via Sat, I just recorded everything anyway, as the concept of sitting down exactly at a specific time to watch a certain episode of something became far to difficult.

for those who have switched to TV via the Internet, do you prefer to still find live sources for normal TV programmes, or the catch-up and on-demand route?

I mostly watch sports programmes like Match of the day. I am usually out and about at the weekend or busy with my kid at home and don't have time to watch it. Catch-up with a service like Zattoo is perfect for this. I just avoid visiting the websites where I could see the scores until I get to see it. We now watch one or two comedy/crime things like "Hubert & Staller" on ARD and Doc Martin on ITV3. Again, catch-up has made that possible as we find time at most once a week to be on the sofa together in the evening. Before catch-up, we simply didn't have the chance to follow a series.

Here is my problem:

I have set up a free Smart DNS and Zattoo to test if everything works as I expect it to,before I invest money into something of poor quality.

iPlayer is working fine on my pc, but not on my tv.

Everything else itv,4od, ch5 and zattoo, I am having problems with.

Zattoo seems to think I'm in Germany,well I am.

All the other players say not allowed.

Please help.

We've figured out what the name of the thread should be, and it only took 2 and half years. :)

Better than congress, in any case...

Let the questions begin! :P

Not necessary. The moderation robot is going to come along and change it to a lower-case i, anyway... :P

Here is my problem:

I have set up a free Smart DNS and Zattoo to test if everything works as I expect it to,before I invest money into something of poor quality.

iPlayer is working fine on my pc, but not on my tv.

Everything else itv,4od, ch5 and zattoo, I am having problems with.

Zattoo seems to think I'm in Germany,well I am.

All the other players say not allowed.

Please help.

The problem is simple really. Every Smart DNS company is different, so the service you may be using, may not support Zattoo's UK channels, or 4oD etc. Very few free ones could, as there is a significant amount of work to continuously do in the background to keep things running smoothly.

Even paid services don't support all services, and many services need multiple configurations for each different platform. This could be why iPlayer is working on your PC, but not your TV.

My referral fee isn't the only reason I keep plugging OverPlay, it's also the incredible range of services and platforms they support that make them so good. Nearly every service and platform reviewed on Eye on-Demand, works via OverPlay's Smart DNS, which may not be the case for many of the other companies providing these DNS services.

If you give them a go, you can cancel within 48hours for a full refund if you are not happy, otherwise you're be charged approx €3,70 for the month. I can't promise iPlayer will work on your model TV, but it does via the Samsung range, as well as iOS, Android, Now TV, Roku, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox 360 (I think), and a pile of others.

Just out of interest, for those who have switched to TV via the Internet, do you prefer to still find live sources for normal TV programmes, or the catch-up and on-demand route?...

Some stuff can only be watched live, especially including sporting events and stuff that Mrs AB refers to as her Quatsch programmes, because otherwise every news channel, every radio station and every Tom Dick & Harry you meet will spoil the eventual viewing.

The argument for Internet or internet is a moot point but I'll let it ride... otherwise I think we violently agree...

Oxford Dictionaries and Merriam-Webster spell it with a capital "I", so until (ab)usage causes those sources to include an approved, alternative "i" spelling, I'll be sticking to "I".

... The moderation robot is going to come along and change it to a lower-case i, anyway...

In which case I may very well become a serial title-changer of this thread

Some stuff can only be watched live, especially including sporting events...because otherwise ...every Tom Dick & Harry you meet will spoil the eventual viewing.

I've been living here 7 years and I've never had the German media or anyone around me tell me the sports scores from the UK and Ireland. I just avoid the main UK & Ireland based websites and radio stations which report on those scores til I get to see the sport event via catch-up. I watched Ireland v Wales in the rugby this morning "as live". No problems. The only danger are family and friends back home via text, but they've been well warned about spoilers.

If you want me to be very specific, on occasions when we were forced to watch F1 races in catchup mode (half the races since the Beeb cut their number of live F1 transmissions) we were obliged not to listen to the radio (German and English) and not to watch TV (German and English) after the race until we had watched the replay. A pain in the neck it was too.

And those Quatsch programmes that Mrs AB sometimes watches also suffer from the identical problem.

Having now invested in a UK Roku 3 we'll be able to watch F1 live on a race-by-race basis by paying Sky via their channel at £9.99 a pop (ouch!) when the Beeb's not transmitting it.

has anyone tried this? http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk

Your my-expat-network is not as flexible, not as fast and not as inexpensive as using SmartDNS from OverPlay (see here, here and here)

There are other DNS providers, but I haven't used them.

TT member ovgb whose website I mentioned above (behind here, here and here) has found OverPlay to be the best.

http://www.uktveverywhere.com/. Good value for money, faultless service. Good selection of channels.

That service "retransmits" the received channels and costs between €225 (16 channels) and €312 (82 channels) each and every year of subscription.

To save gobs of money and gain loads of extra channels and flexibility it's better in my opinion for catchup and on demand viewing to use for example SmartDNS and a UK Roku 3 (that also offers a bunch of live Sky UK channels) and for live TV to use either Zattoo or for example a Minix Neo X7mini (I've ordered one but haven't yet tested it). That would cost maybe €250 one-time plus say €10/month.

I followed ovbg's foolproof guide (I am very technically challenged) and hey presto! subscribed to both OverPlay & Zattoo and am now happily watching the Beeb! Give that man a beer, that's what I say!!

OK, it's cost a few Euros for the subscriptions but so what. I'm in an office full of people complaining they can't get BBC but aren't prepared to stump up any dosh to solve the problem. Pay up or shut up!

Rant over. I'm heading back to "Escape to the Country" now. :-)