One-way van rental issues

13 posts in this topic

Hey All;

As I plan my move to Germany, I have all my stuff from my previous time in Germany in storage in Munich. I will be working in Frankfurt. I have been searching for a way to rent a cargo van from Munich to Frankfurt.

I have looked at;

SixT

Europacar

Hertz

Enterprise

Avis

And they all essentially tell me either one of two things;

A) Sorry, we don't do 1 way rentals. Oh and the Kms included are not enough to get you there and back without us doubling down on the price.

B) Oh sure, we do one way rentals. You just need to find locations that accept 1 way rentals. (After 2 hours on the above websites, I can get no combination of pickup and drop off destinations to take 1 way rentals).

---

So my question is what equivalent of UHaul exists in Germany, and where can I find these vans to rent?

Are there any other companies that do this more exclusively, or would it just be better to pay someone to move the stuff for me?

I realise that Germans don't move like this very often, so I don't expect the choices the be as great as in the US, but I just cannot believe that the only option is to have to spend 5 hours in the van driving empty from one city to the next at 0,32€ per kilometers at 1.45€ per litre diesel just so I can move my stuff.

I have both a German Class-B drivers license as well as an American drivers license.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am sure this has been covered before, and I searched with the search function above, but it came up with 0 results for "van rental," so I assume the search option is broken.

If you can drive a van with your licence, why don't you do so, drive from FFM to MUC, pick up your stuff and go back?

Alternatively, have you tried the larger rental agencies at the airport? I know in England that you can hire from one airport and "return" at another...

Did you try Hertz Trucks?

I don't know where you looked, but the Europcar website says one-way rentals are possible; an extra charge is only incurred for trips to or from Westerland/Sylt.

I'm sure both have pick-up/drop-off stations in Munich and Frankfurt.

You can find other offers by googling Einwegmiete transporter - for example, I saw Sixt had big cargo vans for €150/day.

Buchbinder has a fleet of trucks and vans to rent for moving.

I have friends who've used them before and found their service reputable.

If you can drive a van with your licence, why don't you do so, drive from FFM to MUC, pick up your stuff and go back?

Alternatively, have you tried the larger rental agencies at the airport? I know in England that you can hire from one airport and "return" at another...

The problem is that these van rental companies only include something stupid like 200 kms included. Then when you add gas driving empty, it gets super expensive quickly.

Did you try Hertz Trucks?

I don't know where you looked, but the Europcar website says one-way rentals are possible; an extra charge is only incurred for trips to or from Westerland/Sylt.

I'm sure both have pick-up/drop-off stations in Munich and Frankfurt.

Yes, I looked at Hertz. All the tabs say "Rufen Sie uns an"

Seems flagrantly retarded I cannot book this online and have to make a phone call to reserve a cargo van.

Buchbinder has a fleet of trucks and vans to rent for moving.

I have friends who've used them before and found their service reputable.

I just sent them a quote request. THANK YOU!

The problem is that these van rental companies only include something stupid like 200 kms included. Then when you add gas driving empty, it gets super expensive quickly.

- for the "empty" trip you could place a free advert on TT - with a bit of luck you would be able to fill up the van!

- for the "empty" trip you could place a free advert on TT - with a bit of luck you would be able to fill up the van!

That isn't a bad idea. Then again, there is the chance that I cannot find anything and hose myself with costs.

The gas isn't what screws me, is the cost per kilometre which is what is devastating.

It's been a few years since I used to run a business which was continually hiring vans, trucks and trailers throughout Germany so I'm no longer familiar with the cost features like excess km charges etc., but when I was actively in that market I was always able to negotiate significant rate discounts, additional km allowances, and the free or cheaper loan of packing, securing and lifting gear etc.. You could try doing now what worked for me then. You just need to excercise your initiative and use your imagination.

Often what worked best would involve 'putting them in the Promised Land'. For example; by inferring, hinting or stating that, should they prove to be flexible and willing to cooperate, their company number and (personal)* name would be added to our company's list of preferred service suppliers an updated version of which was regularly sent to all our collection and distribution locations and our corps of drivers and loaders.

*People whose personal income can be enhanced by provision or sales boni really appreciate having their names exposed to a broader community.

I wouldn't worry about how to deal with any questioning on their part either as it's easy to remind them (diplomatically, but pointedly) that they should know many a business starts out in a new market in small stages with the scouts and pioneers arriving before the national marketing campaign kicks off (or the corporate profile is posted by the newby webpage developers and admins). <-Groaning in passing about the laziness of your own marketing/IT dept may even help to establish a sympathetic atitude on the rental agent's part.

That was, of course, back in the day when there was no alternative to land-line calls, and long-distance was much more expensive than today, but I always found that taking advantage of such personal contact opportunities could be much more profitable. Unless you do some negotiating I can't see you avoiding breaking a 200 incl. km limit anyway with the one-way trip around 400km.

I just cannot believe that the only option is to have to spend 5 hours in the van driving empty from one city to the next at 0,32€ per kilometers at 1.45€ per litre diesel just so I can move my stuff.

I'm unsure whether that combined info in your post meant the 0,32€ per kilometers was an excess km rate or that you were calculating that as the diesel cost per km, but if the latter then -beep- 0,32/1,45.100=22,069

I don't know what size load or vehicle you have in mind but the last vehicle I remember driving that regularly used 22L per 100km was a well hammered 1998 Iveco 12 tonner pulling a 10T trailer with a probable true 25T GCVW. Ahh, I remember that truck too well on an all summer night contract run from Mainz to Brussels.

Either your US licence is for heavy commercial vehicles or you won't be renting anything that thirsty on a German Class-B drivers licence.

Not often, but increasingly so, people are seeking, or offering, shared loads either way on Mitfahrzentrale | mitfahrgelegenheit.de

Keep on trucking... safely!

2B

I just 'rented' a Sixt Mercedes Vito, one way, from Munich to Frankfurt this weekend for €150, 100 kl incl., .027 after that.

Hello Everyone,

Bumping this thread as I'm wondering if anyone has any experience renting a trailer for a one-way trip from Germany to Spain. Do you know of any companies that offer rental in Germany and drop off in Spain? For trailers specifically. Not looking for a truck as my car has a hitch system.

Thanks!