Daylight saving time - Germany

89 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, LeonG said:

 

In Iceland they stopped changing the clocks in 1968 and they stayed on summer time.  They've been having regular debates on whether they should or shouldn't be changing the clocks.  Several years ago, some MP's wanted to start changing the clocks every summer to summertime +1 in order to facilitate business with the EU.  Doctors warned against this and said that the clocks are already too skewed and it would be better to change to winter time in order to wake up in daylight more often and go to sleep earlier. 

 

Recently the debate has been changing to winter time and now some doctors are saying this is not good either because children and teenagers who already do not exercise enough will be doing it even less if it gets dark earlier. 

 

So I think the message is you can never make everybody happy.  There was a time I would just have been happy if they stopped changing it but now I don't even have to bother myself because my notebook, my cell phones and my clocks around the house do it by themselves anyway.  All I have to set now is my watch and my car clock.

 

 

Iceland only gets 4-5 hours of sunlight a day in midwinter so they have to try to optimize it moreso than more southern lands.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

 

 

Iceland only gets 4-5 hours of sunlight a day in midwinter so they have to try to optimize it moreso than more southern lands.

 

True but when you only have 4 hrs. does it really matter whether the daylight hours in winter are from 9 to 13, 10 to 14, 11 to 15 or something else?  The shortest day in Reykjavik, sunrise is currently at 11:22 and sunset at 15:29.  If they were to start using winter time again, there would probably be around 5 more weeks of winter that the kids are starting school in daylight but similar probably about 5 more weeks of winter that it's getting dark as they come home.  Some doctors state that for your body clock, it's best if sun is at it's highest position at noon but when you live in an extreme country like that you can't win.  Then in the summer, you have up to 21 hrs. daylight.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I am weird, but I prefer winter time hours. I find the clock going forward to be like a form of torture. I would prefer to stay in the winter time, not bothered about the sun rising earlier. Just my personal opinion though. My guess is they will keep the DST though....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LeonG said:

One more thing, the airlines are against anything changing because they all have their slots.  If the country they fly from stays on summer and the country they are flying to stays on winter, it will get rather complicated for them.

 

But this is manageable, I think they were one of the industries asking for more time to implement because of this.

 

If you look at airlines schedules, there are always weeks where the schedules change for long haul flights as DST kicks in in one location or another.

 

I recall a few years ago I flew to Sao Paulo for business, the flight landed at 06:30.  2 weeks later a colleague flew on the same flight but it landed at 05:30 because DST can taken place in Germany.  And often you find more discrepancies with flights to the US as it is common that Europe DST happens at the end of March but US DST 1 or 2 weeks earlier.  Meaning that from beginning to end of March you often have 3 different schedules for the same flights.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Anna66 said:

I find the clock going forward to be like a form of torture.

 

Nominated for most hysterical comment on the matter yet.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't used to mind the clocks changing before, but since my children started secondary school, they start school at 7.35am.  This means, when the clocks go forward, it feels like they are starting school at 6.35am.  This is just horrible and it takes them several weeks to adjust.  I don't care whether they decide on summer time or winter time but I hope they stop the change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sluzup said:

This is just horrible

 

Choose your language wisely. Horrible is when your children are on fire. I think PITA is more fitting here.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

Choose your language wisely. Horrible is when your children are on fire. I think PITA is more fitting here.

 

What a petty reply.  But thank you for reminding me, why I really shouldn't come on here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019, 3:02:52, katheliz said:

5c844607b1efe_Daylightsavingtimemedieval

It's that time again.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my last flight to London it took me a week to get over the jet lag!   They should eliminate time zones. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, silty1 said:

On my last flight to London it took me a week to get over the jet lag!   They should eliminate time zones. 

:D :D :D 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd fact:

There is a difference of 35mins in the time of  sunrise (and also sunset) between the most eastern edge of Germany and the most western edge.

 

So quite a debate as to which time zone is 'normal' ...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2019, 18:46:49, sluzup said:

I didn't used to mind the clocks changing before, but since my children started secondary school, they start school at 7.35am.  This means, when the clocks go forward, it feels like they are starting school at 6.35am.  This is just horrible and it takes them several weeks to adjust.  I don't care whether they decide on summer time or winter time but I hope they stop the change.

 

Even that still shocks me... 7:30 (and 6:30, obvs) are way too early. I have read a few articles on it actually being bad for young brains to be 'booted up' and expected to perform so early. Especially once puberty kicks in. Somewhere 8-9 is better. 

 

As for time changes, I might be among the minority who don't really care, though I can acknowledge it's probably not too necessary anymore and permanent daylight savings time might be better to see relatively more sunlight.

 

I do like that sweet sweet feeling in fall, of having an 'extra' hour of sleep though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alderhill said:

7:30 (and 6:30, obvs) are way too early. I have read a few articles on it actually being bad for young brains to be 'booted up' and expected to perform so early.

 

Kid#3 got into her personal groove during last year's homeschooling phase, when she had very few online classes, and she essentially operated 2pm until 2am, with some faffing about on either end, but those were the core times.

 

It was interesting. She did much better. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they don't stay on DST.  In 1996, when I lived in Armenia, for some reason they didn't change the clocks to standard time.  I spent the whole winter walking in the dark every morning to the school where I taught English.  It would be 8:00am and still dark outside.  I hated that.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

I hope they don't stay on DST.  In 1996, when I lived in Armenia, for some reason they didn't change the clocks to standard time.  I spent the whole winter walking in the dark every morning to the school where I taught English.  It would be 8:00am and still dark outside.  I hated that.

 

Iceland is permanently on DST since the late 60's. It is however a country with very little daylight in winter so you'll be going to work in the dark and going home in the dark anyway.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kiplette said:

 

Kid#3 got into her personal groove during last year's homeschooling phase, when she had very few online classes, and she essentially operated 2pm until 2am, with some faffing about on either end, but those were the core times.

 

It was interesting. She did much better. 

 

right, there's really not a one-size-fits-all answer to question of when people are the most productive or effective.  

 

I have a friend who basically can't think properly before 2pm.  She worked 9 to 5s for years and couldn't figure out why she was grouchy and sluggish most of the work day.  Then she started freelancing and setting her own hours and found that her groove involved getting up and staying up later than most.

 

I am a classic grandma, barring external influences, I am happy as a lark to rise early early and be in bed by 10.  My current sleep schedule, however, when not determined by my work schedule, is, as at present, largely determined by the family living above me. :( 

On Sunday I woke up and changed a whopping total of five devices (three clocks, one watch, and one dumbfone) while the coffee was cooking.  With time to spare.  No biggie.  I do have a Funkuhr and a ThinksItsSoSmurtPhone which changed themselves.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than 50% of France lie in the same range of longitude as the UK.

Why don't they use the same time zone? (Of course, I know)

DST even in winter.

Even worse in Spain. Must be double DST for them in winter.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now